Wiki Posts
Search

Where to start...??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Where to start...??

Hi guys...new to the site

Have thought about getting an RC Buggy for a while...I remember enjoying an electric one as a child but used to hate waiting for the 8 AA batteries to charge

Wanted some advice on where to start...here are my creteria...

1. Nitro
2. Buggy
3. 1/8 or 1/10 but must be pretty fast
4. Would like to build it myself so it must have clear and easy instructions + diagrams
5. Cost around $300 including engine/radio gear/glow starter etc
6. Second hand is fine
7. VERY important - must be strong - able to take a beating, will sacrifice speed for strength

Am I asking too much or is there something for that price to get me going?

Any ideas/recommendations would be great

Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default newbie

you wont find anything at all that you can build for that money. if you go nitro 1/10 scale in a kit form you will spend about 750 bucks. if you go 1/10 electric kit you spend at least 550 bucks. a ready to run which is already built you will spend about 450 bucks. 1/8 nitro ready to run you will spend 600 bucks, in a kit you spend 1100 at least. probably best case for you would a traxxas revo truck get in it for about 550 for everything. plus it comes with a dvd to teach you how to tune the motor very detailed full color instruction manual if you need to work on it. its very durable and the best place to get all the info on it would be their site. the reason the kit form nitros are some much is you need a motor a two servo radio system a receiver pack and a charger for that pack plus a starter box if you dont buy a pull start motor then fuel and a glow ignitor. the kit for electric you get only a rolling chassi for under 300 but you nedd a speed control motor radio system batteris for the car and a charger. these sites below will help you see everything you need and the cost for those. if you do go to look for these things in your area find a hobbyshop/ track they will be cheaper then if you go to some national chain hobby shop like hobbytown or hobbybench plus you'll be talking to some high school kid who alot of times at those places don't have the knoweledge your going to need to make the best buy for you.

good luck

Traxxas.com
also try Teamlosi.com
rc10.com
teamnovak.com
teamorion.com
Old 09-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

First off you will have to charge or replace batteries for the nitro too! The motor does not supply electricity to the electronics of the car. If you liked electrics then maybe get an 1/10 electric buggy. An 1/10 electric buggy like the Associated B4 can be had Ready to Run for around 350.00 to 400.00 dollars. You will have to buy some battery packs for it. I would suggest 3 packs for it. This will allow you to charge and run at the same time. You will also need a charger for the packs. I suggest a peak charger for quick charging times. The 1/10 scale electric buggies are pretty fast, ecomonical to run, and turn extremely well too. Monster trucks are usually a bit lacking in the handling department when taken to a track especially if it is tight.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_shabzzz
Hi guys...new to the site

Have thought about getting an RC Buggy for a while...I remember enjoying an electric one as a child but used to hate waiting for the 8 AA batteries to charge

Wanted some advice on where to start...here are my creteria...

1. Nitro
2. Buggy
3. 1/8 or 1/10 but must be pretty fast
4. Would like to build it myself so it must have clear and easy instructions + diagrams
5. Cost around $300 including engine/radio gear/glow starter etc
6. Second hand is fine
7. VERY important - must be strong - able to take a beating, will sacrifice speed for strength

Am I asking too much or is there something for that price to get me going?

Any ideas/recommendations would be great

Thanks in advance
First question is: what are you going to do with it?
Second question is: have you ever done any mechanical stuff with engines,
cars, lawnmowers, whatever.

You can find nice deals going with used equipment. But to get totally setup with radio gear, electronics, a car, charger (nitro/elec both need one) is a tall order.

But what you're going to do with it should determine what you get though. If bashing, a monster truck would be your best most fun bet. The huge tires will go over and thru anything and last forever as well.
If club racing I would suggest a rtr T4 or MF2. Losi even sells one of their rtr's with a brushless setup, and I think that is awesome of them to do.

The mechanical question is because nitro can be very fun for the first month, until a new driver/tuner toasts the engine. Then tries for a week to get it going, kicking it now and then, and finally shelves it or sells it. This isn't a bash on nitro, I've raced it for years and love it but I see it happen all the time with people newly into the nitro world.