R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Need help to decide a 1/8 buggy and engine

I had a 1/10 nitro on-road car and recently interested in a 1/8 buggy. The OFNA Hyper 8 caught my interest because of its price to performance ratio (pre-assembled and comes with pipe. Who can beat that?). I plan to race it in off-road track (club racing). I'm struggling between Hyper 8, MP777 (regular kit) and MBX-5 (regular kit). Which is the better choice?

For the engine, what's a good all-purpose .21 engine for about 200?

Note: what I meant by "regular kit" for MP777 and MBX-5 is their base kit. For example, not MP777 SP2
madikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
Tech Addict

yeah the hyper 8 seems good for the money must be better than the hyper 7 i would go with the hyper 7 but sinse the hyper 8 come out stick with that.

i run an x-ray xb8 but there is now an x-ray xb8 tq out which is most offen then not always compared with the mp 777 sp2's so if you want real high performance and are prepared to pay abit extra go with the xb8 or 777 but money wise go with the hyper 8 they seem good performance and good bang for the buck. go for the pro version. thats just my opinion so go with what you want.

but if you scope around you could pick up a good second hand 777 or xb8 for a good price (cheaper than a new hyper 8) and have the best of both worlds.

i bought mine second hand 2 months old and was hardly scuffed so im happy for what i payed and usually second hand cars have the engine and evrything in them just a matter of finding a good deal check ebay out.

engine wise have a look at the o.s rg (sports) .21 you cant get any cheaper and they are ment to keep up with the big guns for a fraction of the price.

the rb engines are good and they offer a range of engines or o.s engines.
i ran an sh engine and it was really fast bottom and top end type a search for any of these brand engines and have a peak of what they got to offer.

if in doubt go to your local track and ask what the guys are running there and ask about the different cars because like you they had to make a choice on their car once.

i recomend you check the kyosho inferno mp-7.5 kanai 3 cars they seem to be really good some people prefer them over the newer 777's sp1 and sp2's.

i think it all comes down to the driving part of racing but it doesnt hurt to have a great car behind you does it
downunder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Got the Hyper 8, best value for money buggy on the market

Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 AM   #4
Tech Addict

The Hyper 8 should be a good car but maybe hard to find parts for at your LHS. Next to that for the money the Jammin x1 is right there also. I would base your choice on the parts available in your area. As for engine the RG .21 is a great engine for a new racer, the problem is OS does not make it any more. I think they are coming out with a newer version soon though. You might be able to find one if you look around. Next choice would be the RB line. Either the S5 or the S7II would do you well. The Nova 3prot is a nice engine for the money as well, I think about 180 there. Again see what the guys at your local track are running so if you have questions while tuning or setting up your car you can find help quick.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote