Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
BRIAN KINWALD JOINS X-FACTORY >

BRIAN KINWALD JOINS X-FACTORY

BRIAN KINWALD JOINS X-FACTORY

Old 09-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

It's hard to formulate an opinion when you see both sides of the story. For a few months now, I've taken a stand against getting involved in anything like this on the internet but I felt like throwing my two pennies into the pot. This stuff only gets blown out of shape when emotions get involved. The motocross world got thrown for a loop too when Honda decided not to offer Ricky Carmichael a comparable contract after his knee injury. It's the same thing.

Business is business. Companies have to make money and employees must do the same. Until a major player in the industry steps up to take care of its professional drivers, I don't expect widespread change and adaptation of insurance, retirement, and pension policies. You don't HAVE to be a professional R/C driver, and these are things you should be aware of before you decide to take this as your profession.

I went through some health issues of my own this winter and haven't recovered completely in terms of performing on the racetrack; everyone at Team Losi has never faltered in continuing to support me and there's no way I could repay them for that.

Brian has always been approachable, friendly, and helpful to me since day one. Jim Hughes himself knows how much I have to be grateful for the advice and opportunities Brian gave me and the people he introduced me to, even as a 12 year old who crashed all the time.

Both parties involved have very respectable reputations, both personally and professionally, and it's unfortunate that this kind of thing can never end in a manner that will appease everyone.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

thats not true about honda arron, honda has always been known to pay there riders less than the other manufacturers, but they have a chance to make more if they win. suzuki offered carmichael a 10m contract whether he won or lost. now his knee injury may have made him feel like he might not be able to win especially with james stewart entering the supercross class the same year. So he opted for the suzuki deal, if you remember jeremy mcgrath left honda around the same time when he knew he would have to work harder for the wins.

About kniwald driving for x-factory it looks like losi and associated have lost there control of the 2wd class and when people see kinwald wheel a x-factory, x-factory is going to start selling a lot of kits. All i got to say is good luck kinwald and i hope you win the worlds this year and shake up 2wd electric.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It is widely known that McGrath left Honda because they wanted to own his likeness and severely limit his options regarding which other companies he could seek endorsements. There were also other limitations that they wanted to impose such as no being photographed on watercraft made by other manufacturers and no wake boarding, he was filmed doing a rightgeous rail slide down a dock. Honda obviously weren't willing to pay whatever McGrath thought was a fair price for these rights so he decided to put together something on his own (Suzuki and then after he couldn't win on that , Yamaha). At the time Honda had two VERY well paid riders, Steve Lamson being the other, and both carried the #1 plate in their respective classes.

I don't know much about Charmichel but you can bet that Suzuki paid top dollar for him because he delivers wins and positive image in spades and that is what a maker will do to gain market share.

Can we please drop the discussion about who left who and which company is right? Beyond how any of us feel about it is, again, none of our business, period.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Someone asked why Xfactory. My answer will make some peopel mad....but...here goes;

It looks to me that Losi and AE are moving toward 8 scale nitro (buggies, trucks and Truggies) because that is where our money is. Electric just is not as popular as it used to be, chasing drivers for that class doesnt make financial sense. Dont jump down my throat, its just my opinion.

To give you an example my track had Dave Montgomery come up for our trophy race, all of us were asking "who?". Just about any nitro driver from a team could have showed up and we would have known he he/she was.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Muswagon
Someone asked why Xfactory. My answer will make some peopel mad....but...here goes;

It looks to me that Losi and AE are moving toward 8 scale nitro (buggies, trucks and Truggies) because that is where our money is. Electric just is not as popular as it used to be, chasing drivers for that class doesnt make financial sense. Dont jump down my throat, its just my opinion.

To give you an example my track had Dave Montgomery come up for our trophy race, all of us were asking "who?". Just about any nitro driver from a team could have showed up and we would have known he he/she was.
Id have to agree to a certain extent, but if you look at xfactories stuff while it uses some other company components the inboard motor is the way it should be makes the most sense imo and the way you can raise and lower transmission, antisquat etc. plus the chasis webbing seems like it would be fairly durable. the one thing that i really like is having an inboard motor there will be alot less chance of slamming your endbell in the dirt for us outta control drivers thats awesome. im trying to order mine as we speak i cant wait.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I doubt anyone will be able to get one to work at my track. Forward bite is the key here and I dont think that thing will be able to get anywhere against a conventional car. On a track that is hooked up where you need a car to rotate well, the X-5 may just be the ticket.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Tech Legend

Give Brian & Greg a little time ,you will see the fastest best handling 2W design ever !!!

It will happen with them working together....
Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Imo, the X6 car will excel on high bite, but a driver like BK will make due on any track, especially after some setup time.

As far as a BK-Hodapp "Gold dust twins ride again", I believe Greg is retired and no longer races for X Factory.

If he does, I know it would never be for Orion/Peak, TeamLosi, Horizon, etc ever again.

, Jim
Old 09-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
I doubt anyone will be able to get one to work at my track. Forward bite is the key here and I dont think that thing will be able to get anywhere against a conventional car. On a track that is hooked up where you need a car to rotate well, the X-5 may just be the ticket.
This is in no way a flame so lets discuss this a bit. There is alot more to forward bight then a weight at the rear of your chasis just like steering not being from the weight at the front of your car. notice how associated losi have been moving there motors further forward each generation. how about willie cars putting all the weight near the rear? no argument you have to have some weight there but i really doubt that without it in the position of a weely car that it will not have forward bight. there are sooo many things that give you your traction, forward bight and rotation. ie camber links toe in anti squat pro squat lowering or hiegtening transmission, hubs forward or back the list goes on and on. i really dont believe without the weight there anything will be missed other then the car will be more planted, handle bumps better and without a doubt fly better. one last point then i gtg but how about gas trucks? that big ass motor is in front of your tranny in them eventhough they have a little counter weight by the battery packs it still has the motor onboard and the counter weight battery is in no way equal to the weight of a motor, and any gas truck i ever owned weelied like a mfer lol
Old 09-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
It's hard to formulate an opinion when you see both sides of the story. For a few months now, I've taken a stand against getting involved in anything like this on the internet but I felt like throwing my two pennies into the pot. This stuff only gets blown out of shape when emotions get involved. The motocross world got thrown for a loop too when Honda decided not to offer Ricky Carmichael a comparable contract after his knee injury. It's the same thing.

Business is business. Companies have to make money and employees must do the same. Until a major player in the industry steps up to take care of its professional drivers, I don't expect widespread change and adaptation of insurance, retirement, and pension policies. You don't HAVE to be a professional R/C driver, and these are things you should be aware of before you decide to take this as your profession.

I went through some health issues of my own this winter and haven't recovered completely in terms of performing on the racetrack; everyone at Team Losi has never faltered in continuing to support me and there's no way I could repay them for that.

Brian has always been approachable, friendly, and helpful to me since day one. Jim Hughes himself knows how much I have to be grateful for the advice and opportunities Brian gave me and the people he introduced me to, even as a 12 year old who crashed all the time.

Both parties involved have very respectable reputations, both personally and professionally, and it's unfortunate that this kind of thing can never end in a manner that will appease everyone.
Hey Aaron how ya doin? hope your health is better. after reading my posts and the responses from todd i had to step back for a moment and look at the entire picture. racers come and go and thats a given and those racers should be treated a certain way. but at what point should any reputable company say hey youve given this or that or done this or that for so many years we want to take care of you long term since youve done so much for us. i mean he was with losi how long? you cant compare him with just another sponsored racer but he was sure treated that way imho. cant argue that it was a business decision or that they felt they were doing the right thing. i told brian years ago that he should manufacture his own shit but he was so loyal to losi i didnt get to far with him on the subject and this is how his loyalty and dedication is rewarded .... nice very nice. hope to see you at the track id love to see how fast you are now... trying to see how many people i know are going to cactus classic this year so pm me if your going aaron.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

I dont think rctech is serving a positive purpose for our sport anymore....

I am guilty too......some of us believe too much of what we read and jump to conclusions and as Aaron said...act with emotion instead of our brains....

as much as I love posting on these forums....I turn into a drama queen...I dont really understand it...but it is bad for my rc career...

so I think I am going to become mostly a rctech reader....not a poster anymore....

I love this sport and everyone in it.....Sean
Old 09-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Congrats on your new deal Dirt. X Factory is lucky (and smart) to get you.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

omg trever that looks like you lol hey you going to cactus classic this year errr i mean next ?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yeah I'll be there. Check your PM's.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SCUBA STEVE
97% percent of the people posting on here I'm sure do not even know the full story of what happened with Brian and Losi .....
+1, hence I would only ever say two things about this.

1) I hope BK is in good health and racing soon,

and

2) It will be great to see him winning races and showing us all how its done

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.