R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-12-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default Losi XXXCR Slipper clutch setting

How much do I tighten the slipper clutch nut on a losi xxxCR? I am doing tighting all the way, then back out 1/4 turn. Is that good? I run at socal raceway.

Thanks in advance.
straightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Slipper clutch set-up is not as easy as one common adjustment for a particular track.... it is one of those settings that require adjustment based on your personal preference. To answer your question - 1/4 turn out may work, however, it depends on a few variables - such as: 1) what motor are you running, 2) how throttle happy you are 3) what setting your ESC is set to (punch), 4) how dry/wet the track surface is, 5)your tire selection.

The best way to to adjust you slipper is on the track. If you can grab a handfull of throttle and the car does not want to dance the back-end out (or does so - but it is controlable), then you probably have a good slipper setting (assuming your diff is set-up correctly). If you grab a handfull of throttle and the car looks like it is hesitating and making a whinning noise- your slipper is too loose. If you do the same and the car wants to spin out, the slipper is too tight.

Slipper adjustment is the final adjustment a driver can make to tune for traction on a given surface... and it mostly requires a trial and error approach based on your driving style. As your track condition changes, take a few moments before a race and adjust (loosen or tighten) to check your slipper on a couple sections of the track ... after playing with this setting a few times, you will get the hang of how the car feels and will be able to adjust based on what your car is doing.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by straightaway
How much do I tighten the slipper clutch nut on a losi xxxCR? I am doing tighting all the way, then back out 1/4 turn. Is that good? I run at socal raceway.

Thanks in advance.

My slipper is only about a turn in from flush and I race at SoCal all the times. Here is how to set your slipper with a mod.

1. Have the car and radio on.
2. Make sure the slipper is loose and not tight to start.
3. Hold the radio with you throttle hand, and push it down on the left rear tire.
4. Hold the right rear down with your right hand.
5. Pull full throttle quickly for about 1 sec.
6. If set properly, the front wheels should come off the table 1-2 inches.
7. If it is loose, tighten 1/4 turn, repeat.

For stock, you can set it this way, but the motor will not have the power to pick the car up. Therefore, when the slipper/motor sound like they are barely slipping and struggling a bit, it is tight enough.

Hope this helps.
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote