Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
XXX-CR needs some steering >

XXX-CR needs some steering

XXX-CR needs some steering

Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default XXX-CR needs some steering

Question for you guys. I haven't been racing for about 8 years, and just got a new CR. Can you share some success stories with setting up your cars to get some more steering?

I'm currently running a setup very close to the kit "super dialed" setup in the manual. My battery is forward, and the tires to hook up at my local track are holeshots. I'm running the stock front tires. Our track is pretty fast, with 1 big jump, 1 single, and a set of doubles. There's about 7 turns total, and I find that I can't carry speed through them.

Any help would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Try different tires.
If holeshots are the ticket then I would try Silver Fronts instead of Reds.
Tires are 80% of the setup.
I would try that 1st.

Les
Old 09-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It may be as simple as the front tires. When Proline rubber is the choice rubber then it should be for both ends of the car. I would try proline 8175 in the same compound as the rears.

Also you can gain more off power steering by lowering the front bulkhead ball stud, moving the rear hubs forward, or a longer rear camber link

Those are the first things to try. If the car is real close its probably just the front tires.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:52 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What up Pleeza?!?

All good suggestions. The Proline tires are the first thing I would try. I usually like to run about 3/4 or a rear foam instead of the stock front foam, which is a little soft. Also, I have switched to run CVDs at just about every track. They freed my car up on entry and accelerate very well. That change has had the biggest affect to my car.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyP
It may be as simple as the front tires. When Proline rubber is the choice rubber then it should be for both ends of the car. I would try proline 8175 in the same compound as the rears.

Also you can gain more off power steering by lowering the front bulkhead ball stud, moving the rear hubs forward, or a longer rear camber link

Those are the first things to try. If the car is real close its probably just the front tires.

but going to a longer rear camber link wont allow the car to carve the high speed corners.

Where are you loosing steering? entry or exit? if it is entry, maybe softer in the front, for exit understeer, look at stiffening the rear.

thats just basic, but let us know
Old 09-11-2006, 04:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

To get more steering into my CR I added a gold washer in front of the ballstud on the steering rack, moved the rear shocks to second from the inside on the rear tower, and removed the thick spacer from inside the rear shocks. Now my car is very good for our outdoor, slightly rutted track.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, please keep them coming.

I'm finding that I have to take turns wide in order to line up around the turn. With my style of driving, I'm very aggressive with the throttle. So ideally, I'd like to get more on-power steering without losing traction.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Switch to the bellcrank style steering setup. The CR comes with both types for a reason. The new rack does not work well on non blue groove surfaces. Also I shortened the rear camber link to 3-D and run the stock front camber location in the front and these changes help free up the rear some for sharper turn in and also allows more roll in the corner for better steering. I also changed the rear shock fluid to 32.5 weight and run the rear hubs in the middle position. These changes also with the proper tires should make this car handle good. Get M3 tires for the front with those M3 holeshot rears!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The rack steering is good, but if need more turn-in just add some washers behind the ballstud on the rack to give the car more ackermann. That's the benefit of the rack type steering, it can be adjusted however you like it.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

I have tried both including adding washers to the rack system and the Ackermann of the bellcranks gives alittle more on power steering.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

You could also try adding some weight under the servo horn, you can easily get 3 5gram weights in there. I wouldn't go any further forward thatn that though.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If you need more steering move the front shocks to the inside hole on the arms. This will give lots of turn in steering. This is an adjustment I used to make on the BK2 for tight tracks. On the CR this small change will give you lots of steering.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

If I move my shock position to the inside hole on the arm, do i need to make any adjustments to the shock itself?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Just adjust the ride hieght back.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can you guys explain the differences between the bellcrank steering system and the rack type? Does the bellcrank give you more ackerman? Which one are most of you running?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.