Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Explain difference GTB 4.5-5.5-6.5-7.5

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Explain difference GTB 4.5-5.5-6.5-7.5

I'm new to RC and was thinking of buying a Novak GTB. I was looking around on Ebay and noticed there are different ones. Could someone please explain the 4.5 part and why would a 7.5 cost less than a 5.5 NIB? If you need to know i have a Losi Matt Francis truck and will be running stock motor...for now. I might switch to brushless later so thats why i might get the GTB instead of GTX....thanks for all your help gang.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

4.5 = 7-8 turn
5.5 = 9-10 turn
6.5 = 11-12 turn
7.5 = 13 turn

Those are equivlenant to a Brushed motor, what kidn of racntg will you be doing? does the place where you are going to race at race stock, 19turn or mod?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

i'm going to be running stock truck electric class.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Unless your track is huge, I would look into getting around a 6.5. If you are used to driving stock, going below this will make it even harder to drive when you attempt to run it.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RWDrifter
i'm going to be running stock truck electric class.

In that case, you wont be able to use any GTB system because you are racing in stock.... Stock motors are 27turns, I think a GTB 13.5 is equivlant to a sotck motor, but usualy stock class is only 27 turn stock motors
Old 09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

If you want to race a brushless in the stock class, try the Novak SS13.5 Brushless Motor. All the velocity motors are clearly modified. They will outperform any 19T.

The Super Sport SS4300 Racing Stock Brushless Motor will be close to a 19T. The Super Sport SS5800 Brushless Motor will generally outperform a 19T. You might find yourself being beat down a long straights with the Super Sport SS4300 by 19T brushed motors. The Super Sport SS4300 will have more tourque, so you gain the advantage in tight tracks. I've only seen all three of these (the Super Sport SS4300, 5800 and 19T Brushed) complete together on a med size asphault TC track. And the 5800 had better laps, almost every time. The 4300 and 19T are very close, but a big open layout favors the 19T over the 4300.

If you have never raced with a modified motor, I would recommend if you decide to go with the velocity, limit throttle EPA until you get used to racing with the velocities. Or, better yet, buy the SS4300 or SS13.5 brushless motors. And then get a lower turn motor when your skills are ready for it. Otherwise, be prepared to buy spare parts for your truck, if your skills need work.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Check with the track you plan to race at before buying a brushless with intentions of running in the stock class as they may not allow it.

The smaller the # of the motor you buy the faster that motor will be.
I run a 6.5 in my T4 and it is just stupid fast. I limit the epa for full throttle so the thing can't go full throttle just to make it easier to drive on our home track.

Since you're new to rc I would suggest just buying a used speed control from somebody at the track and a new brushed stock motor from the hobby shop.
You'll spend much less money initially, and you'll be able to control the vehicle much easier until you learn the skills needed to be a competitive racer. Pretty much any novak or LRP speedos will do excellent for a new racer. You can learn how to set the car and the electronics up, and if you blow something up you won't be out $200 in a fraction of a second.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I think i'm gonna get a GTX or a LRP....thanks for all your help guys.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

To answer your original question, the 4.5, 5.5 ect are the amount of turns that the brushless motors have. As with brushed fewer turns equals higher rpm. However, since you want to run stock, you do not want to buy one of these systems. You want to buy the GTB by itself, just the esc. So, any of the ones you saw on ebay that had one of those numbers include motors, so that's not what you are looking for. To buy just the GTB by itself, check out the towerhobbies website. I think it's around $180. If you seriously see yourself running brushless in the future, it would be a good idea to get it, as the extra $35 or so over the GTX will save you from having to buy a new ESC when you want to switch to brushless. The GTB is big, but since you're running truck, it shouldnt be a problem. In buggies it can hit the top of the body. The positive side for running brushed is that when run in brushed mode, I think it has the lowest resistance of any ESC on the market. You could also take off the fan when running brushed, especially stock and any mild mods.