Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orion Advantage or LRP Pulsar???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default Orion Advantage or LRP Pulsar???

Looking to pick up a second hand charger/motor run in for my lathe. That is the main reason really for buying it, I currently use a pitbull for charging only and used to use a 4-cell pack for my lathe, but i want to get a charger that has the run in feature so that i can break the motors in after and run the lathe better.

So what is everyone's opinion on these two?? which on is better, what features are better and why?? Thanks all!!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use the LRP Competition 2. (Like you my other charger is a Pitbull)

Things I like about the LRP are:
3 Profiles... I like it for as the day temps heat up, I can just go to my next profile to keep my batteries from overheating.

Can adjust the charging rate on the fly.

If there is a power bump it yells at you. In addition, for extended power bumps it will tell you how long the power was out, so in case you weren't at your pits, you can increase the charging rate if necessary.

Motor run in smoothly ramps up to the voltage level. Gives you an AMPs report which is nice when breaking in new brushes to help you see when they're seated.

It's small. The thing barely takes up any pitspace.

Readout is easy to see and gives you good info.

The power connectors (going to power supply) can be removed for those of you that have jacks and don't need to clip it to something without you having to rewire the connectors.

Things I don't like
When discharing, the charger can only handle about 1 battery per hour cuz it'll get above 150*. I have 2 small 12VDC fans that I mounted on the sides to help cool it down. It has a fan inside, but it just doesn't get the job done. My little fans keep it from going above 80* during a discharge cycle.

Can't name the profiles.

Hope this helps you out. Either way, you will be happy me thinks.

Paul
Old 08-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have both chargers and you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default orion

the advantage has three profiles also plus the new one also can charge lipos. plus the step charge system is amazing in what you get out of your batteries. it has a temp sensor to keep from overheating. in the past i used lrp's and had three blow out and have had two friends also blow out their chargers. i have also had troubles with quantum pro too. just real bad luck for me with anything from lrp. plus the orion will discharge at up to 10 amps. if your not using a smart tray. but the directions are a bit tough for it, but on orions site you can find the setting the factory drivers are using.

good luck but i votre orion for sure, so many features over the lrp and as i said step charge is unreal.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just purchased an Orion Advantae charger, I was curious where I could find the factory drivers setting on their website.