R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Novak GTX ESC problem....I think electric hates me!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/126457-novak-gtx-esc-problem-i-think-electric-hates-me.html)

jamesbernatchez 08-21-2006 10:09 PM

Novak GTX ESC problem....I think electric hates me!!!

i bought it used in a xx4 package i got and it worked fine before. I set full throttle/brake and neautral and I ran part of a pack through it. Now i decided id set up the specific profile and at first it was going to blue led so i could pick the min. brake profile but now its like the setup switch is stuck in. No matter how hard i push it and hold it, it will not do anything except keep a solid red light(which i think means its in neutral)

The thing is i have no thottle at all. Just peaked the batt so thats not the problem, steering works fine, leads are all connected right. Im starting to get mad. After a few minutes of it being on i thought it started to get warm and temped it with my temp gun. It was about 98-100 degrees?!?!?!? What the heck is going on?

I decided to sell all my nitro to get into electric and it seems like somebody doesnt want me too!!!!

Any ideas?

I hope i have better luck with the 2 used novak 5.5 setups i have coming this week

gatermaxx 08-21-2006 10:24 PM

sounds like you are not picking up a signal to me. HTH
Rod

slowandsteady 08-21-2006 11:10 PM

What kind of motor where you running in it?

jamesbernatchez 08-22-2006 04:57 AM

Im running a D5. The guy i bought it from took really good care of everything. He also cut the comm before giving it to me. I just want to have it for backup. Im gonna be running the Novak 5.5's in them anyways. Do you think it needs to go in for service?? It not under warrenty so i will have to pay out of pocket for it.

santinuchi 08-22-2006 05:02 AM

hmmmm

Originally Posted by jamesbernatchez
Im running a D5. The guy i bought it from took really good care of everything. He also cut the comm before giving it to me. I just want to have it for backup. Im gonna be running the Novak 5.5's in them anyways. Do you think it needs to go in for service?? It not under warrenty so i will have to pay out of pocket for it.

(red light on with no actual throttle,and the esc is heating up just sitting there), sounds af if the battery may be plugged in backwards, if you are direct soldering, you may wanna check that. you can service it, you will have to come outta pocket about 60 bucks.

jamesbernatchez 08-22-2006 07:57 AM

I have deans on there and they are hooked up right. It ran the first time no problems......Maybe ill have to give novak a call! :(

santinuchi 08-22-2006 08:15 AM

yeah

I have deans on there and they are hooked up right. It ran the first time no problems......Maybe ill have to give novak a call! :(

i'd say so, my question would be did the speedo get hot when you ran it the first time, maybe due to the car neing over geared, if it got hot it should have shut off b4 it burnt out, but it may have fried something, call novak, honestly sounds burnt.

jamesbernatchez 08-22-2006 09:22 AM

it got hot along with the motor but not hot enough to burn it up...i was able to keep my finger on it for a while. Id guesstimate the temp was around 110* on both.

Im getting 2 used novak 5.5 setups by this weekend so id rather not drop cash to fix an esc im not gonna use. I think ill wait and as long as the brushless setups work, ill just put the gtx on the side for now and when i get some cash maybe ill send it in.

Im praying that there is nothing wrong with the brushless systems :nod: That would put a damper on things!

santinuchi 08-22-2006 01:55 PM

hmmm

it got hot along with the motor but not hot enough to burn it up...i was able to keep my finger on it for a while. Id guesstimate the temp was around 110* on both.

Im getting 2 used novak 5.5 setups by this weekend so id rather not drop cash to fix an esc im not gonna use. I think ill wait and as long as the brushless setups work, ill just put the gtx on the side for now and when i get some cash maybe ill send it in.

Im praying that there is nothing wrong with the brushless systems :nod: That would put a damper on things!

sounds like it overheated, old novaks like the cyclone just stuck full throttle when they went, i'm guessing yours overheated and popped a cap or something, probably saved the speedo, but youll have to send it in to have the cap replaced, kinda like popping a fuse b4 you burn something up.

schmelme 08-22-2006 02:42 PM

sounds like the speedo is just sitting there with full brake on. This will heat the mosfets up and eventually burn them up. Reset the speed control to your radio. Throttle epa at 100% brake at least 75% hold set button while turning switch on. Go full throttle then full brake then to neutral this will set to default program.

jamesbernatchez 08-22-2006 03:08 PM

ill try once again..but thats what im saying...i get no response from the setup button...like its pressed in but wont come back out.

NP-1 08-22-2006 03:14 PM

How is your motor geared?

sport10 08-22-2006 04:25 PM

Try redoing the setup on the ESC and make sure you have the ESC plugged into the right channel for throttle on the reciever.

Manning 08-22-2006 05:49 PM

.......like its pressed in but wont come back out.

Time to send it back to Novak. It should have a obvious detent or click when pressing the button..... the buttons are very weak.

jamesbernatchez 08-22-2006 05:54 PM

Its got a 17t pinion, its the stock spur i think, but i don't know how many teeth. I tried all of the obvious things- checking the battery charge, checking the leads to make sure they are plugged positive to positive-negative to negative, its in the right place on the receiver but that shouldnt matter. The instructions say that you can change profiles even if its not hooked up to a reciever.

Im not new to electric, ive had many. This is the first time ive had an esc not work though....Ive pulled it out of my buggy and plan on taking it to the track to see what the guy there says. Otherwise ill give novak a call and find out how much to ship it in and be fixed.

Im 85% sure its just the setup button....kinda like its sticking in the pushed posistion as if i were setting it.....but ive fiddled with it and nothing. When i turn on the speed control......i get power and about 2 seconds later the red light comes on solid. Nothing i do changes that. I get steering fine with no problems.

Manning- thats exactly what its doing....there is no noticable "click" to inform me its being pressed. Thats why i think the switch is messed up.