R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Budget racing ESC debate (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/126068-budget-racing-esc-debate.html)

WheelNut 08-18-2006 06:55 PM

Budget racing ESC debate

So I've been looking at ESC's for my B4 for the last week and I can't come to a conclusion. I need it for the labour day weekend, so I've narrowed it down to two ESC's my LHS has in stock. The Novak GTS and the LRP IPC pro sport. They are both about the same price, the same size, and both are non-adjustable besides the current limiter in the LRP. The difference is though the LRP has no motor limit and the Novak has a 12t limit, BUT the Novak has 1/3rd the on resistance.The novak also has replaceable wires. What are your thoughts? Will the Novak GTS have more punch than the LRP since it has less resistance, or should I go for the LRP since it can handle more current, and therefor could potentially last longer since it wouldnt be as easy to burn up.

I normally run a 13t motor.

stampedespeed 08-18-2006 07:40 PM

I dont think you could go wrong either way. Both are made by top notch reputable companies and the tiny difference in on-resistance would probably not be noticeable even to the most experienced racer. :cool:

Manning 08-19-2006 06:23 AM

I have 2 GTS esc's. No complaints. Would buy another.

Current limiting would be nice, but if your radio has expo adjustment, that can be used as a reasonable substitute.

R40Victim 08-19-2006 07:17 AM

Another vote for Novak, all my orange equipment has been pretty good. I have several of them; XRS, GTX and GTB.

PHIL700XCSP 08-19-2006 06:52 PM

GTS

I have a GTS and it has worked very well. I ran a 12t in my b4 last weekend and it got hot and shut down twice.I opened up some cooling holes for the "A" and it cooled it just fine.Hope that helps. :sneaky: :sneaky:

slowandsteady 08-19-2006 07:04 PM

Novak GTS.

stampedespeed 08-19-2006 09:09 PM

Have you thought about using a nokak dually? Its a little bigger, but it has no motor limit and it has a current limiter. Plus I'm selling one one e-bay right now, in the search box type "novak dually", mines the one that says Novak Dually w/instructions and accessories. Just a thought. :)

WheelNut 08-20-2006 01:38 AM

Novak GTS it is.

Stampede- The dually isn't in production anymore. I only buy new now, thats why I have to buy this ESC in the first place :( Damn used stuff.

stampedespeed 08-20-2006 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by WheelNut
:( Damn used stuff.

I take it somebody sold you a piece of junk.
Dont forget that as soon as you take your "new" speedo out of the box and plug it in, it becomes "used". I cant blame you for wanting to get new though. :cool:

factory team AE 08-20-2006 06:28 AM

Im guessing your racing offroad?? Since it is a Buggy and all .I think maybe youll wish you had the current limiter for offroad use. using a mod wound motor?? JMHO

WheelNut 08-21-2006 12:33 AM

Well I'm going to try out the GTS tommorow anyways. I'll see how it compares to he GTX I've got in my T4. If its not smooth enough I guess I'll have to pony up the cash for another GTX.