Community
Wiki Posts
Search

racing nitros on ice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default racing nitros on ice

Has anyone here ever studded up the tires and ran on ice? I think it would be great to run the oval on ice with these machines. Lets hear your experiances..........
Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Long, long time ago I studded some tires. Didn't work to well for me. Maybe others had better luck.

You ever get to any tracks around michigan? Saginaw, marlette, west olive, holly, tracks all over this state for dirt racing!!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Tech Rookie

I have never been to a track. I'm just getting started actually. I have a track here close to work I can practice on though. I'd guess with the cities you listed that your from the east side?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

I'm in the tri cities area so I pretty much have to travel to go to any track. If you are near west olive you should go watch the last state series rcpro race on the 26 and 27 (next weekend). There will be some very exciting 1/8 and truggy racing going on. Gas truck and monster truck too but they just don't fly like the big cars/trucks.

What rc car do you have?

Here's a link to the local michigan forums, you can get any info about all the racing and tracks going on, buy/sell/trade...
Michigan forums
Old 08-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm just North of Lansing. The races would be cool to go watch and learn some things. West Olive is on the West side past Grand Rapids correct? I bought a 1/10 rc10gt this week. I just picked up a started box for it today so once I get it I should be ready to go. My son bought one a few weeks ago and gave me the itch. : ) So do you have a nitro?

Thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll be spending ALOT of time learning for quite awhile.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

welcome to the hobby.

michigan is filled with a ton of great competition and decent amount of tracks.

west olive is just outside of holland, towards grand rapids, the biggest track in the state and the favorite out ther is the nitros.

pheasant runn is in holly and the most popular track in the state right now. races are once a month, on last sunday of the month. huge track(not as big as west olive) but u can open up a nitro for lil while out there, loamy surfaces and they get aobut 100 entries consistently a race.

Freelin RC(Marlette) is another great track, first season for them, they do MX there full time and this is their first attempt at RC, they have and are doing Awesome.

Saginaw(Shortrac) is a great very popular track, mostly electric and increasing in nitros, great crew there as well.

link that jbrow sent is all about those tracks and several others.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Here's the address of the West Olive track.
WOOR - 10152 144th Ave West Olive, MI 49460-9610 (Outdoor Offroad)

And here's a link to all the info on the associated GT you'll ever need:
GT Website

I run electric and gas, mostly a GT like yours and 1/8 buggy. Probably be selling the buggy after the west olive race and just race the gt and T4 until the carpet season comes up. If you have any questions about the gt shoot me an email or PM here or at the gt forums.

If you come out to the west olive track look for me. Will be pitting next to a black extended cab 4x4 s10 and red fullsize ford extended 4x4.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Long long time ago we put pop rivets in the rear tires on our RC10's and Frogs for running on ice and snow in the winters in Illinois.
It actually worked pretty well on the ice, steering wasn't great, but it got better when we added rivets to the fronts too.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ice racing

another thing to consider is finding some heat temp rated tape to wrap your head in so you cold seize your motor. if you ran on some powder thin over ice you could run step pins all the way around probably and wouldnt be so dangerous. or try 3/8 sheet metal screws screwed in from the inside of the tire. maybe four rows in the rear and two in the front in inside edge and outside edge of tire. also i would water protect your reciever as well to protect it from moisture, as the snow hitting and sticking around in that area startsw to melt and soaks into it.

good luck
Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I saw this done in an old issue of RCCA. was a losi XX with wooden studded tires.

I think someone also sells snow chains on ebay for RCs when the winter comes.