Anyone have experience running in sand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have experience running in sand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Anyone have experience running in sand?

Want to get some proline sand paddles for my t-maxx 3.3 and take it to the beach and sand dunes here in Michigan. Being that my truck is 4wd, would you put 4 sand paddles on or just 2 in the rear with something less aggressive on the front? Would that mess up the gears? Would the truck even be able to turn 4 paddles in sand?

How about sand in the components? I can imagine some erosion of moving parts over a long time, but other than that, is there an issue running in sand? I'll be running a fuel filter because I can imagine fine sand particles getting into the tank during fill-ups.

Any general sand advice for my truck will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can only suggest that you don`t do it.I know it would be fun and all but sand will get into everything including your bearings,diffs,air filter and such which will decrease how long your vehicle will last,but if you have plenty of cash who cares right.Just my opinion!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Tech Addict

Sand has salt in it and pretty much destroys the bearings and other critical parts. If you REALLY want to do it, try to invent some kind of sheild to put under/over your body to cover up the rest of the spots (granted the things that can't be covered aren't).