Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Career in RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default Career in RC

Well I am young right now, 17 to be exact, and my career future is all being decided in the next 5 years or so, anyways I love RC right now, and I realize that I could lose interest and things can change, but it's not like theres any reason to ever quit driving RC cars, besides maybe money, but I don't think that will be an issue. I am wondering if a career in RC can be a profitable one, maybe open my own RC superstore, with like EVERYTHING, with a couple tracks in the back, or maybe an rc company. Lets hear it from some of you guys that do work in the RC industry, what do you do, how do you like it and how much do you make a year (if your willing to say).
Old 07-29-2006, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I do not own a track or shop, but can tell you this.
If you want to own a shop and or track, do it because you love the sport/hobby not the money.

The Rc industry is a VERY hard place to make a decent living and there are to many places out there that have become greedy.

There is 2 tracks within a couple hours of where I live that I will never return to. All they care about is $$$$, in there mind it's "screw" the racers.
On one occation we where half way through the firts round of quals and it started raining. They cancelled for the rest of the day, I asked for a refund and was "told to bad you don't like it, don't come back".
I would of happily payed for the practice I was able to get in, but I never ever ran 1 qualifier, I aked if they could use the money for the following weeks entry and was told no.
That day they had 80+ people sign up, since then the largest turnout they have had was maybe 30.
I guess my point is take care of the racers if you do follow a career in the field of Rc and they will take care of you.

I'm done rambling

Later
Dayton

Last edited by 1armed1; 07-29-2006 at 03:54 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-29-2006, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

^ Amen!!

Dayton Miller??
Old 07-29-2006, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

It's hard to make money in RC (and RC alone), it is a niche business.

What I will say is that if your interest in is the technical/professional side of RC, do some appropriate education/professional qualifications. That way if a job comes up you will have the entry requirements.

Running you own business in RC is similar to running any small business. It needs smart thinking, hard work, and a dose of luck to make it a success. If that's the route you choose to go down, good luck.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedBump57
^ Amen!!

Dayton Miller??

yep
Old 07-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been working on my own hobby buisness for about two years and have done nothing but break even, so yes you have to do it because you love the hobby not for the money. Yes it is definately a niche market I have just begun building a web page to broaden my coverage due to the lack of buisness around here. Build your own track, better yet you and your friends get together and build a couple, invite new people get them into the hobby it will help tremendously. I started selling consignment and used stuff. I sold a couple of my cars I wasn't running anymore and bought other stuff to sell. THE BIGGEST THING IS NEW PEOPLE. We all preach about having new people in the hobby for more fun but it's also what keeps the sport going. One thing I've personally learned if you don't have a ton of money to throw at it owning you own business is the quickest way to go broke. Don't let you love for the hobby get in the way of supporting you business. Yes do it because you love it but remember you must sell to keep it alive. I love to here about someone young staring their own business I'm 22 I'll be 23 in Nov. it just lets me know I'm not crazy lol good luck with it and keep us posted. By the way if anyone has any pointers they are always accepted.

LOVE IT,
Zach
Old 07-29-2006, 05:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

The thing is.....a hobbie is somthing you look forward to after work and if it is the same as your job it will wear thin !
Old 07-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Excellent point! I agree you will find it hard to enjoy at times, but you can still have fun you just have to remember work is work so when its time to play make sure you can play and not have to work.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

She never called me back either!!!! LOL
Old 07-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A couple of things to remember......

-Are there alot of jobs around here that people have extra money to spend on hobbies?

not being smart, but generally..... Poorer people will spend alot on the hobby to the point that they aren't paying bills anymore or paying them late and then when they realize how badly off they are they sell the stuff off cheap..... all the while kicking and screaming that the hobby is too expensive, that's not the worst part.... they tell everyone they know how "overly expensive" they hobby is..... also remember where people make more money property costs are higher....

-How much does property cost around here?

Renting or leaseing the property can be alot cheaper up front, but remember if it's not yours you have to ask before you do almost anything, so a track could be totally out of the question, as could be just running the cars outside.... plus owning the property means once it's paid for in full a bigger chunk goes into your pocket....

-Can I run this buisness in my spare time?

You may be forced to work another job to support yourself and your family until buisness pics up......

-What are the people around here into?

It doesn't make sence to stuck on-road cars and have an on-road track if everyone around there is into monstertrucks.... It used to be alot simpler, if everyone around drove big jacked up trucks and went mudding on the weekend you could easily bet on monster, while if everyone drove hotrods and went cruiseing on the weekends then on-road would probably be betteroff..... Now it's really not that easy, because how your real car is done up seems to be more of a fad than a lifestyle..... However I'd say if there is a big Nascar track nearby you may want to look into on-road and even oval....

-Am I a people person?

Do I like to be around and deal with all types of people??

-Do I like to work on RC cars?

The current RTR status has guaranteed that 95% of the cars bought will not be worked on by their owners, of that 20% will probably never be fixed that means 75% of the RTR's sold need to be worked on by somebody..... Sorry that's you, if you want to keep buisness you'll have to do repairs.....

-Can I keep my cool when a someone comes in asking a billion questions, probably for weeks straight and then comes back in one day with a car and says" look what I got on e-bay/Tower for less"...probably less than you can even get it for at your cost?

Happens everyday......

-What sevices can I provide to beat out Tower/e-bay and other online vendors?

Remember you can't beat their prices even including shipping, a track to run on is a good start, but that only gets and keeps us "pre-internet old guys" loyal. Up your stakes in their pocketbooks.... give away free races, free break-in and other services that on-line vendors can't provide which cost you nothing really..... Then say "well I can't sell the kit for $20 less like XXX internet store can, but you get x# races free witha new car purchase which will save you $100 over the course of the next few months.... This is a very good idea because this gives them the chance to get hooked on racing and they will most likely keep coming back for much longer after the racing starts costing them money....

-Am I open minded enough to listen to racers and customers?

I can't tell you how many times I came up with good ideas that would have helped a new upstart hobbyshop and track out and probably help generate alot of income at little or no cost to them and it just got passed over because it wasn't their idea..... also get out and ask racers on raceday what they like about the track and what they don't, and show some effort to take care of the problems..... If you have one jump that only one racer can land with any sucess you may want to look at reshaping that jump, because only that one guy will be happy with it the track and people talk about what they don't like, possibly discouraging others from coming out to try your track.....

Whatever you do go into it with an "I will suceed" attitude and don't be discouraged... have fun and do your best to be the best you can.....
CH3NO2shocker likes this.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IMPACTPLAYR
A couple of things to remember......

-Are there alot of jobs around here that people have extra money to spend on hobbies?

not being smart, but generally..... Poorer people will spend alot on the hobby to the point that they aren't paying bills anymore or paying them late and then when they realize how badly off they are they sell the stuff off cheap..... all the while kicking and screaming that the hobby is too expensive, that's not the worst part.... they tell everyone they know how "overly expensive" they hobby is..... also remember where people make more money property costs are higher....

-How much does property cost around here?

Renting or leasing the property can be alot cheaper up front, but remember if it's not yours you have to ask before you do almost anything, so a track could be totally out of the question, as could be just running the cars outside.... plus owning the property means once it's paid for in full a bigger chunk goes into your pocket....

-Can I run this business in my spare time?

You may be forced to work another job to support yourself and your family until business pics up......

-What are the people around here into?

It doesn't make sense to stuck on-road cars and have an on-road track if everyone around there is into monstertrucks.... It used to be alot simpler, if everyone around drove big jacked up trucks and went mudding on the weekend you could easily bet on monster, while if everyone drove hot rods and went cruising on the weekends then on-road would probably be betteroff..... Now it's really not that easy, because how your real car is done up seems to be more of a fad than a lifestyle..... However I'd say if there is a big Nascar track nearby you may want to look into on-road and even oval....

-Am I a people person?

Do I like to be around and deal with all types of people??

-Do I like to work on RC cars?

The current RTR status has guaranteed that 95% of the cars bought will not be worked on by their owners, of that 20% will probably never be fixed that means 75% of the RTR's sold need to be worked on by somebody..... Sorry that's you, if you want to keep business you'll have to do repairs.....

-Can I keep my cool when a someone comes in asking a billion questions, probably for weeks straight and then comes back in one day with a car and says" look what I got on e-bay/Tower for less"...probably less than you can even get it for at your cost?

Happens everyday......

-What services can I provide to beat out Tower/e-bay and other online vendors?

Remember you can't beat their prices even including shipping, a track to run on is a good start, but that only gets and keeps us "pre-internet old guys" loyal. Up your stakes in their pocketbooks.... give away free races, free break-in and other services that on-line vendors can't provide which cost you nothing really..... Then say "well I can't sell the kit for $20 less like XXX internet store can, but you get x# races free witha new car purchase which will save you $100 over the course of the next few months.... This is a very good idea because this gives them the chance to get hooked on racing and they will most likely keep coming back for much longer after the racing starts costing them money....

-Am I open minded enough to listen to racers and customers?

I can't tell you how many times I came up with good ideas that would have helped a new upstart hobby shop and track out and probably help generate alot of income at little or no cost to them and it just got passed over because it wasn't their idea..... also get out and ask racers on race day what they like about the track and what they don't, and show some effort to take care of the problems..... If you have one jump that only one racer can land with any success you may want to look at reshaping that jump, because only that one guy will be happy with it the track and people talk about what they don't like, possibly discouraging others from coming out to try your track.....

Whatever you do go into it with an "I will succeed" attitude and don't be discouraged... have fun and do your best to be the best you can.....
Some very good advice.

I had a pizza shop for about 5 years. The first 4 years went very well. Then Dominoes and Papa Johns decided I was interfering with their millionaire status. In some neighborhoods it doesn't matter if the product is crap, or delivered late, it's about the bottom line. Cost. I could not compete. I tried, trust me. I got lucky, and a local chain bought me out and expanded, but they didn't last long there either. So, I didn't lose my shorts, but close.

I also agree with some who made a point of turning a hobby into work. A friend of mine, who I grew up with, has been a very good fishing guide on the St. Croix river. He decided to turn Pro. Now he has to catch fish to earn a living. He has to say goodbye to his wife and kids, travel all over the U.S., to go to "work". He's been fairly successful, but miserable.

Remember work is just that. Work. If it were anything else, it would be called "playtime" or "fun". I don't ever want to turn my hobbies into a job. Hunting, fishing and RCs wouldn't be fun anymore. Hobbies are meant to take you away from the realities of the world. To be a kid again, and forget your responsibilities.

I'm not trying to discourage you. In fact the opposite. I tell everyone to shoot for the stars. Weigh the pros and cons and make the best choice for yourself.

I wish you the best, and good luck if you choose that path.

Last edited by Rowdyray; 07-29-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There is more to the hobby than just owning a store.....you could be come an mechanical engineer and work for a company designing product. Marketing, journalism, just to name a few. Try and pick a field that has more than just RC for a focus an that way you have plenty of options and who know you might just find the perfect job.....
Old 07-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My advice.

PM EAmotorsports and Speedtech right here on RC tech.
Eric owner of EA Motorsports worked as a machanic and tuned motors and matched battieries afterwork for years. Now his business has grown so much he works full time doing it now...

Steve Wang, owner of www.speedtechrc.com and Maxxtruck a.k.a. www.speedtechnitro.com
Has tuned a small shop that was focused on just the high end TC's and a few other things into two major Websites...
They both had exactly what is needed in this hobby. The drive to put out great goods with the best customer service.
I could call either one right now and know they would help me if I needed.
A great customer service will spread and others will come. If you are known for bad customer service it will spread like wild fire and no one will want to do buisness with you.

But if you want to know how they did it ask them I am sure they would help with the info you are looking for.
Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Old 07-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

They say the best way to make a "small fortune" in the R/C business is to start with a "large" one!

This is only true if you open a store and are addicted to the racing still when you do. In other words if you have ever thought, "owning my own store would be sweet, everything would be discounted", don't open one.

I owned a store in South Florida for a little while.

Customers come first for success, wether it's selling them that hot new item(not keeping it for a buddy), staying open 15 minutes longer to help them out, free advice and even helping someone who bought mail order. I've seen stores refuse to work on cars bought elsewhere, but I can't see how that helps them decide for their NEXT purchase?

If you are serious, get into a good school for management, engineering, etc. and you'll be ready for the field, in or out of R/C.

My training and years of experience has helped me in the body manufacturing business and painting as well, but it is hard work and requires alot of expertise in several areas to do well. Some weeks I work 85+ hours, but i'm not getting rich....Not by a long shot. Maybe some day!

...Jim
Old 07-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

It's important to remember that you will never be able to fully support yourself at first. Keep it a hobby until you have the time to devote to making it work in one swoop. Otherwise you'll find yourself juggling many different aspects of life at once, and things will get stressful. Also, when you have to work with R/C for a living, sometimes it can lose it's novelty. Things stop being so fun. On top of making and selling parts, dealing with our few select distributors (Which there aren't many of) and working on the internet, I also do work for several hobby shops in the area. We used to run races at one hobby shop, and we constantly do work selling items for another. We also do repair work for hobby shops who are swamped with repairs. If you find yourself working deals all the time, getting bogged down with other peoples problems, and worrying about cash all the time, R/C can quickly stop being fun. Remember, once you get passed the stage where all you do is worry about stuff, things will get fun again. Then theirs always that little part of you that still gets enjoyment from racing, bashing, and just having a great time. When you actually get a chance to start that nitro motor, or charge up that matched pack and tear into some dirt or pavement... suddenly it's all been worth it again.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.