R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Quality Electronics-4wd Buggy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/122288-quality-electronics-4wd-buggy.html)

RoostAZ 07-20-2006 01:09 AM

Quality Electronics-4wd Buggy

Well I have a lot of RC's and all of them have decent electronics, fast motors and brushless on my 18t, but I want to build a 4wd buggy, probably the Academy Sport V2 or Losi XXX4 but I want to get some good quality electronics and a truck that is not a hassle. I am thinking I want to put a sphere/neoone brushless combo in it, spektrum small receiver and remote synthesized FM, and a High speed servo of some sort. I want to make some new packs too because I have some good stick packs and a couple others good packs I got used, but I want to get some fresh 4300 or 4800 cells and build a couple good packs and get race ready. Which 4wd buggy do you think would be the best to build as a kit, put these electronics on it and go race and be able to take some abuse? Also what do you think about the electronics, any better ideas? Tell us your dream car and its electronics!

Frank Root 07-20-2006 11:58 AM

The JConcepts BJ4 WE is a very good car. A definate plus is that with the new battery configuration, there is plenty of room for a brushless setup. I would good with the Novak Brushless System as well for the simple reason that more people seem to be using it without issues, atleast in southern california.

jsmax 07-20-2006 12:26 PM

Don't know that I could say what the ideal or best would be. But, I can tell you that I have a Kyosho ZX-5 with a GTB/Velocity 5.5r brushless combo, Futaba 9451 Steering Servo, and the little Hellios 302 rx. Everything fits well, and runs excellent. It is fast from bottom to top, and the steering servo is plenty for it with a quick transit time. I am running SMC 3800 matched race packs and I am getting about 10 min runtime on a pack charging at 5amps with good power (Power doesn't seem to drop till the last 30-45 seconds but then it drops quick). I did put the aluminum front hinge pin brace, front&rear shock tower mounts, front knuckles and 7* c-hubs on it (I am not the most graceful driver), but now it is rock solid and handles really well.

sport10 07-20-2006 03:31 PM

The kyosho is a good option if you do not want to make saddle packs. Cars like the new Yokomo, BJ4WE,X-5,XX-4WE all require saddle packs. The XXX-4 and ZX-5 accept stick packs. I would recommend the Kyosho over the xxx-4 though. It is better when the track gets rough and has more steering too. It also comes with a oneway diff.

Stefan Millay 07-20-2006 04:06 PM

You definately would not go wrong with either edition of J-Concepts BJ4. They are awsome and handle like a dream and are super fast. If you are looking for a good brushless system, hold off untill the Tekin system comes out. Go here for a video of one testing on a track. It is on road but extremely fast.

teamtekin.com/Videos.asp

RoostAZ 07-20-2006 04:12 PM

what about the Mamba system that is coming out for 1/10 scales? Do you think it will have the same cogging issues as the 1/18 scale? I love the BJ4 by JConcepts a ton, that is my favorite 4wd buggy for sure, but man is it expensive, way too expensive for me, plus with the brushless and everything else I want, way too much. I like the Kyosho a lot, it seems like it would be easier to get parts for too, than the Academy. No one fans of the Sport V2? Looks like a great truck, what's a good deal for the kyosho kit?

NP-1 07-20-2006 04:38 PM

As for the Mamba, one of my friends is a beta tester and I got to drive his T4 at the local track yesterday. The power is amazing, and the truck pulls hard...so hard that we went through 3 pairs of rear tires in 2 hours. The top speed is really nice, most times the motor hadn't even wound out at the end of the straight. There was no cogging (we were running matched 4200s). Runtime was about 9 laps...or about 10-12 minutes.

If you use crappy batteries though, cogging may be an issue.

As for the Kyosho, amainhobbies has them for a great price.

gatermaxx 07-20-2006 05:03 PM

The Novak is good as well, I would get a Hitec servo, either a 625, 645, or the 5000 series compliments. The spektrum is a good choice as well.
HTH
Rod