R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Tech Adept
Default M11 or JR Z-1

I cannot decide which radio I want to get. The M11 seems to have alot more users and gets readers choice awards but the Z-1 is new and still proving it's self.

Any feed back on either radios would be great. Any one that has used both please post comparisons..

HookaMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

I've tried out the M11 at a couple tracks and it seemed very bulky and top heavy to me...compared to the M8 I had. Then I tried the Z-1...

Wow...what a difference! The feel of it along with the available drop down wheel is a definate plus. You can also set the angle of the wheel to fit what's comfortable for you.

I now have the Z-1 and absolutely love it. The navigation through the menu's is far easier than the M11 IMO.
Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I too am in the market for a Z-1. Judging by the feel of the M11 and the Z-1, it looks like I may choose the more comfortable Z-1. I have been a big Airtronics guy but since the M11 came out, it seems heavy for those long mains.
EEChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I have read through the owners manual for the Z-1 and it has some very impressive features.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the M11 and I love it. It is heavier than my M8 though. I use Spektrum so the antenna really doesn't help with the balance of holding it. I really like all the adjustment on the radio. You can do as much or as little as you want to do with it. As long as you read the manual so you know exactly what each option does, with all the graph's and stuff, you can get the radio dialed in very easy. The nice big display screen helps that out alot as well.

The Z1 is a very nice radio as well. I will be getting one very soon. Then I really can do a side by side comparison. I have used the KO version of it before and really like it. I just haven't owned one. The KO version uses some different terminology in it so make sure you read the manual. It's not hard to figure out but it's still best to read the manual. The biggest downside of this radio is the size of the screen. It's pretty small compare to the other top end radio's that are out today. The biggest plus to this radio is the feel of the grip and wheel. Very comfortable.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I would have to agree that the smaller screen size on the Z-1 has been the only turn off for me. The m11 seems to allow you to see more at once so at a glance you can see how things are set up.

I have a JR radio now and I would have to say it is easy to use as I assume the Z-1 will be as well.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
Tech Legend

There both good radio`s , I would perfere the M-11 however...
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

I tried both ... and felt bad with both ... ended buying a M8 and put a Spektrum Pro kit on it ...
Patricio "PATO" Concha

E-Mail : pato_concha@yahoo.com
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I own the M11 and I love it. With spektrum, the batts last a LONGGG time. It feels great too. I race electric so I dont have to worry about long mains to wear me down, but When i practice for long amounts of time, it still feels awesome.
DUB_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

this might sound really wierd but i prefer Z-1 for on-road and M11 for off-road.. i had both radios, sold the z-1 when i went to only offroad. m11 feels better to me for dirt..
vic0280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Tech Regular

The M11 is a great all-around radio.

I have tried the Z-1, and found that I liked it, but the larger, easier to read screen on the M11 is fool-proof.
NP-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #12
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had an M8, and I always felt like I had to choke up on the handle to feel comfortable. Sometimes I had to readjust my grip during a race, and that would cost me time on the track.

I heard the M11 was slightly heavier, so I went with the JR-Z1 because it looked and felt right. No more adjusting my grip, and the drop down wheel makes it comfortable to handle. Plus the menu is easier to use, it just took a bit of adjusting to get used to the different wording of some of the features.

I definatly think the JR-Z1 has the edge, just Like the Helios!
TeamXray RCAmerica Hudy Xlgraphicspro Paint/ Impulse-Rc Clutch shoes.
Xray XB 808 O.S. Speed Or Ninja JX
xlgraphicspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

I've got the M11 with a Spektrum Pro kit and I couldn't be happier with it. Granted, it's not the lightest thing in the world but once you swap to a different battery setup it does help.

I ended up picking the M11 over the Helios in the end because I like the display and setup better on the M11. If you're planning to consider spektrum at any point you can get the Helios in a transmitter only kit for a good price.
nsane is offline   Reply With Quote