R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Brushless or Mod Motor?

I am going to start racing my XXX-T MF2 soon and right now I have a 27 turn P2K. I just got a Mamba 8000 system for my 18t and I am really liking the whole brushless idea. I was wondering what you guys think I should do, spring for a Novak Brushless or Sphere/Neo One, maybe even buy one slightly used on ebay. Or get a low turn mod motor? If so what is a good motor in the 10-12 turn range? And what would you go with LRP or novak for the brushless?
RoostAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Tech Adept

brushless is nice for it's simplicity but i'd still take a good brushed motor over a brushless i would go with a banzai mod they are based on the checkpoint mods and have awesome power and low wear
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I use the LRP Spere comp and I am very happy with it. I never touch anything, and as long as it is geared in the proper range it will last indefinitely. The novak has a bit of trouble fitting into some cars due to its size. I have run brushed motors for about ten years, and I do not miss the maintenance they require. If you run brushed, you will need a lathe or at least access to one. If you are using someone elses, you can bet that you will need it when you can't have it. You will spend more money in the long run by running brushed motors. Short term brushed is a better value. People have still been known to have trouble with brushless stuff, but the manufacturers have been supporting them well.
CarbonWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

If you run on a really slick track you may prefer the feel of a brushed motor. If you've got grip though brushless is way less work. I run brushed personally, since I've all the maintence stuff already. I would get the LRP shpere comp w/Novak 6.5R motor.
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Tech Adept

hmmm interesting. well I will mostly be racing at my local track Scottsdale RC (SRS) where the Cactus Classic is held, it is pretty slick at times but I think it could handle brushless well.
RoostAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I run the novak gtb and 6.5 motor in my T4. I absolutely love the thing. Just gear it and go have fun, have more fun, and keep on having fun. I still have a comm lathe and brushed motors but I don't see the point. All I have to do with brushless is oil the bearings now and then. I race on a slick track and the speedo is nicely and easily adjustable to suit your needs.

My true love in rc is nitro and always will be. But I'm thinking of getting some lipo batts just for the extended runtime and not practicing with my nitro cars anymore to save wear on the engines. The 6.5 motor is every bit as crazy as my novarossi engine in my GT and that's saying something
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote