Community
Wiki Posts
Search

question about receiver packs for nitro cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default question about receiver packs for nitro cars

I was wondering, what is the proper way to maintain a 5 cell hump pack for nitro cars. Should I be discharging them when I am done racing for the night? I used to race 1/10 electric years ago and we used to discharge the stick packs before we recharged them again. And I used to store them till the next race day with a resistor plugged into them.

Is this the same case for receiver packs on nitro cars? I have a fairly new 5 cell pack I am using and it seems to go a bit flat towards the end of long mains. After about 10 miuntes of racing my servos seem to slow down and the car is not as reactive to my commands.

Now I just charge my 5 cell pack when I get to the track and race my qual's then recharge it for the main. After that I pack my car up till the next practise or race then I recharge them.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If its a ni-mh pack you dont really have to discharge them, discharging them before charging would probably help their life span, but I wouldnt worry about it. I've never discharged a Rx pack, unless it was ni-cd.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

NiCd's of the past are different from the batteries in use today. I charge the receiver packs as slow as I can. You don't need the punch out of them as you would in electric racing. Once a month I will discharge my 5 cell pack and let it sit for a day. Then I charge it at 0.5amps. When I am at the track getting ready, I charge it again at 0.1amps to just squeeze it in. I can normally go for almost an hour and a half on 1100mAh batteries. And I have been using this particular pack for almost 2 years.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
NiCd's of the past are different from the batteries in use today. I charge the receiver packs as slow as I can. You don't need the punch out of them as you would in electric racing. Once a month I will discharge my 5 cell pack and let it sit for a day. Then I charge it at 0.5amps. When I am at the track getting ready, I charge it again at 0.1amps to just squeeze it in. I can normally go for almost an hour and a half on 1100mAh batteries. And I have been using this particular pack for almost 2 years.
Thanks for info, can you recommend a discharge method?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

just keep them topped up. dont discharge them. you just end up losing a cylce on its life unecessarily.