Community
Wiki Posts
Search

begginner buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

a lot of people seem to shy away from the hyper 8 when they here its 80% built. but after getting mine i can tell you i wish all buggies came that way. i have been racing on and off for maybe 10 years and i have built a lot of kits including a jammin x-1 cr. i can build a kit pretty fast but building a 1/8 is about a 6hr. job and you will be tired if you wrench thru it straight. but with the hyper 8 just build shocks and mount tires and put in all your electronics. you can get the car fri. and go racing sat. can't beat that. you will have plenty of time tearing the car down rebuilding it. and i think its easier to take something apart and rebuild it than to start from scratch. trust me the hyper 8 comes expertly assembled
Old 07-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I concur with Rocket42 on the Hyper 8 coming to your door 80% assembled. Very well build...just touch up any metal to metal contact with Loctite and call it a day.

Previously ran a MBX5 and the Hyper is just as competitive. It's all about learning how to set up your car for YOUR driving style. Any top buggy should suit your needs. i.e. SP2, Xray, Jammin, etc. but for the bang for the buck factor the Hyper 8 is solid. ($400ish and it includes a decent pipe)

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

there is no need to touch up metal to metal connection with thread lock minus the bolts that hold the front hub carrier on but you need red threadlock on those as regular thread lock doesn't cut it (these bolts come thread locked but as i said regular thread lock doesn't cut it.) every other bolt that is metal to metal on the car already comes built with thread lock. the car really is expertly assembled and ready to race.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

As far as parts quality and maintanance free, the x-ray xb-8 tq is at the top of that list. It is realy the only buggy that comes super bullet proof and virtualy maintanance free. The hyper 8 will get sloppy before other kits do. However, the slop generated from 3 gallons of racing can be removed by spending about $25 and the diffs are great. The mugen mbx-5 pro-spec is also a great buggy, but you will have to find better diff rings, the stock ones are leaky. It is realy the only buggy that will rival the parts quality of the xb8-tq.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

After some research I'm deciding between the Mugen mbx-5 ,hyper 8 and losi 8.I want a kit because I'm insanely bored at home (no ride) and would like something to occupy my time.

Last edited by blackraven64; 07-15-2006 at 09:40 PM.