R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Picco engine parts

Hey Guys,

Well, day one, and engine one done. I bought an XRay Xb8 off a kid and I guess the engine hadn't been broken in, or something wasn't right, and I've basically pooched it. The conrod brass bushing was wrecked and in pieces, the conrod itself had about two times too large an ID for the crank shaft pin. The cylinder head is stuck at TDC and the button is beat up looking and scored. The top of the piston, and the sleeve itself look ok. Where or who sells Picco replacement parts, or would I be better off buying one of the NovaRossi economy mills? I'm looking at spending no more than $200(been to Amain racing for prices etc. I'm looking at the RB CE3 port, or the NovaRossi T21BF....otherwise its a Vspec or a P5X if I go to the next level of spending). My Picco has a purple head, and is a 5 port. It has a capital letter "P" on the crankcase itself, which is Aluminum(color), not black etc.

Here's my current lump:
---FS like new XRAY XB8 with brand new king-headz upgrade cheap---

Thanks ahead of time for the advice. I also went into the thread search and found only a little bit on Picco, and that's where I found out that maybe I'd be better buying a new engine competely, parts are scarce.

HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

The P5X is a great motor.
wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:03 AM   #3
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well in my honest opinion i would go for a new motor. The rb 3 port is a sweet engine I own one and it is great. Now if you go for the V spec it is a very fast engine and hard to get used to being so fast. Now for the p5x that is also a sweet engine. Just take in consideration you driving skills and what you want to get out of the engine. If I was you go for the rb 3 port they are smooth and very reiable. I can tell you that the v-spec is awesome for only being a 3 port.
I just see to many people go for the best and have trouble with the engine of there choice and get fustrated and give up so go for the rb 3 or the nova rossi 3 port and learn from there..
Team Losi 8ight
Byrons Race

Team Glitch
When in doubt blame your roll center
"Damm radio it is glitching again"
tlxxx4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
Tech Regular

BANG for buck go the T21Bf, its faster than the RB 3port eco.

i race my n21b against RB wS7, P5, vpsec's and around the track i can keep up.

more important is your driving skills than the engine you have.
BringItOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Tech Regular

try a picco i have the p7-r evo and i can kill the p5's on the strates with no problems great engine and starts with no problems at all
amain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

better off with a new motor.

I can say this much---you can get yourself motors that can perform just as good and the high end motors but for a fraction of the cost.
The Sportwerks 26 is a good buy for under $150
I used a Picco 27 and that was a good motor for the buck too.
Now I had just bought the Picco 28. Still pretty new but so far I do like it.
I picked it up at my LHS for $190.
The 27 and the 28 are for the most part the same. Some differences.
The sleeve is longer on the 28 so the 27 backplate will not work.
Carbs are the same, Block is the same. Head and shims are the same exept for the color.That is if it is not the Turbo.

Now my LHS guy told me the Axial Motor is not bad and you can rebuild that motor witha new piston, sleeve, crank and rod for under $100.

Just my 2 cents
Biodragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:36 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by amain
try a picco i have the p7-r evo and i can kill the p5's on the strates with no problems great engine and starts with no problems at all
Hey amain, or ANYONE
I am new to this forum. I have just purchased an Ofna Picco .21 P7 EVO to run in my new Jammin X1CR FT buggy. Do you have any advice for me in breaking in and tuning my new engine? Buggy and Engine will be delivered later today.

What fuel and plug are you running? How easy / difficult has it been to tune?

Thanks for any help,

Last edited by JumpinJammin; 07-27-2006 at 10:36 AM.
JumpinJammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:00 AM   #8
Tech Addict

The RB 3 port and the Nova 3 port are both good engines. My choice would be the Nova hands down.

The Sprotwerks .21 V2 should not be over looked in that price range either!

SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Engine sourced!

Thanks everyone, I have made a deal with tlxxx4driver for his V Spec, can't wait ti'll it arrives and I finally get the XB8 to go more than half a tank in the parking lot!

HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

JumpinJammin- I've got that same engine and its great, just break it in using a standard heat cycle method over the course of 1 and a half litres of fuel. Before you run it though do not touch the needles and run some oil through the carb, basically just try and oil the o-rings. Take note of their settings. Then take out the low and high speed needles and inspect the Orings, the high speed o-ring on my engine was ripped, and cause the engine to run insanely lean until I found the problem. I acually used a o-ring from a Hyper 21 high speed needle, it was a very soft red o-ring and sealed very well. The P7R has huge top end, but runs hot in hot ambient temps due to the small head. Don't forget to use LOTS of oil on your airfilter as well since replacement piston and sleeve sets for this engine are ridiculously expensive.
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote