Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro buggy steering servos.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Nitro buggy steering servos.

I was just curious to know what most of you are running for steering servos in your 1/8 buggies? Personally, I tend to think you'd want something with very high torque, like an Airtronics/Sanwa ERG-VZ.

Curiously enough, I came across this pic of the upcoming Losi Eight. Looks like Peanut's ride.

This car's been running with an Airtronics 94360 for steering, which, while having a really zippy response time, only yields some 125 oz/in of torque. Any thoughts on this odd choice of gear, or do the pros know/do something we don't?
Old 07-02-2006, 04:42 AM
Tech Addict

most experienced 1/8th buggy drivers use steering servo's with add least 9kg of torque up to mabe 14kg
Old 07-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While I don't know whos buggy that is in. I have never seen anyone use the 360 in the steering format, everyone uses the 359 far as I have seen.

I have been running the JR 9000T on both my buggy and truggy as they offer the more torque and are digital which works with my HSR on the Helios. That and they are fast as well as having tons of torque.

But just know that I have a 94359 and a 360 as my back up......LOL

I trust Airtronics with the heavy duties but like I said I wanted digital.

As far as throttle I use the 9000S.

Both have been great in both vehicles.

-Shookie <><
Old 07-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Been racing for nearly 5 years on offroad nitro.
Used Sanwa and Futaba all that time ( Some Hitec ).
I personally favoured the Sanwa, quicker and better range. Futaba are also very good and Hitec are worthless. I have had some of my friends who have installed a hitec into car and as soon as it turned on it made a stupid noise. Pulled it apart and gears are broken. There peaces of S**t.

recently ive tried a new brand called ACE SERVOS. There the best ive ever seen, i now run ACE all round ,throttle and steering in 2 cars. There the quickest ive ever seena nd fully digital. Fully metal geared to with 14 kilo of torque.

Cant go wrong, havent had 1 issue yet. .. . just keeps going
Old 07-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I know plenty of guys who run 357's and other servos that make 125oz and they have plenty of torque. I run something stronger personally (Hitec 5945- 181oz.).
Old 07-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
I know plenty of guys who run 357's and other servos that make 125oz and they have plenty of torque. I run something stronger personally (Hitec 5945- 181oz.).
I guess it stems from our collective preferences that stems from the "more is better" philosophy. Truthfully, I tend to think that way too. The greater question is quite possibly: how much torque is actually required for a servo to move the steering system of a buggy so as to give adequate performance?

I also recall somewhere that some pro drivers would go as high as 6 cells for the reciever pack, giving the servos even greater performance at the expense of longevity.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i have a futaba on my buggy and it rocks, its .12 at 138oz and will sling those wheels wherever i want them
Old 07-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most servo companies will reccomend at least 100in/oz of torque for a buggy. I tend to be a little cautios with that.

I used to run all Hitec servo's. In three years of running onroad and offroad I have had 2 hitec's go bad. One of them I could have fixed myself, I just didn't care too. I have gone through 2 JR's as well. Now I am still using Hitec's in alot of things, but I have a couple of the Ace servo's as well. I am using the 1015's. Probably the best servo I have used. Stupid torque, great holding power, and still pretty fast.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i run a futaba 9451....... it is short on torque 121............but i think it is a great servo...... i would like to get a better one and move that one to the brake servo like most people have... but i dont have the money for that right now... and it is working just great for me.....but someday i will......
Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

All you realy need is 100 oz. of torque. If you get more then your just sacrificing speed, however I guess that some people just want to spend money, but they can't handle a fast servo so they spend money on useless torque. What people don't realize is that their servo saver probly isn't even tightened down enough to handle that load.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Futaba S9350
Old 07-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
What people don't realize is that their servo saver probly isn't even tightened down enough to handle that load.
I honestly never thought of that, but it seems like a reasonable conclusion. I'm not quite sure if the extra speed from the Airtronics 94360 is considerable enough to notice though, at a mere three one hundredths of a second faster than its high-torque rivals.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jarred King
Been racing for nearly 5 years on offroad nitro.
Used Sanwa and Futaba all that time ( Some Hitec ).
I personally favoured the Sanwa, quicker and better range. Futaba are also very good and Hitec are worthless. I have had some of my friends who have installed a hitec into car and as soon as it turned on it made a stupid noise. Pulled it apart and gears are broken. There peaces of S**t.

recently ive tried a new brand called ACE SERVOS. There the best ive ever seen, i now run ACE all round ,throttle and steering in 2 cars. There the quickest ive ever seena nd fully digital. Fully metal geared to with 14 kilo of torque.

Cant go wrong, havent had 1 issue yet. .. . just keeps going
Where can i get ACE servos? What model would you recommend for 1/8 GP buggy steering? Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ace servo's can be aquired by anyone that deal's with Ace. So if your shop can get the Thunder Tiger product's, they can get the servo's.

You want the 1015's. They have a great deal of torque (200+ in/oz's if I remember right), and are pretty fast (0.108 seconds at 6.0v at 60*). They are a little more money than the Hitec's but not as much as the Airtronics, Futaba's, or KO's.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Ace servo's can be aquired by anyone that deal's with Ace. So if your shop can get the Thunder Tiger product's, they can get the servo's.

You want the 1015's. They have a great deal of torque (200+ in/oz's if I remember right), and are pretty fast (0.108 seconds at 6.0v at 60*). They are a little more money than the Hitec's but not as much as the Airtronics, Futaba's, or KO's.
Thanks dude...by the way are they digital? Is it advisible to use digital servos on a 1/8 GP buggy? My buddies told me to go for analog....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.