Wiki Posts
Search

losi hydra-drive question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default losi hydra-drive question

This is one for the old timers. Does a losi hydra drive come into play at all prior to the slipper, or is it simply additional smooth resistance on top of the slipper setting? In other words, if I run the slipper tight, does the hydra drive do anything at all?

Is there a simple way to eliminate the hydra drive and even go to a single slipper (so that I don't have to buy another spur gear)? I'm running this on a stock 27 turn motor in a buggy.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

you might want to change it over to slipper only. The Hyda-drive works good but it has to much rotating mass for stock motors. but yes it does help and work. I have 2 sitting around from back in the day.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the hydra drive does work well, but it only works best on blown out tracks and what not. Yes you are correct, in order for it work work right, the slipper does have to slip.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have one, brand new in the package, never assembled still!! And I have a couple of assembled ones. Definately ditch it when running stock. Those worked good on rough blown out tracks in Mod.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Hydra-Drive works by using hydraulic pressure to provide drive, similar to a torque converter in an automatic transmission. The idea is that hydrualic pressure ramps up, whereas slipper clutches release linearly. For extremely rough tracks, they help a lot. Kinwald used one with a custom top shaft on his RC10 to win the Worlds in England in 1993 since the track there was very choppy.

Modern tire and suspension technology has basically obsoleted this device though. Especially in stock, you don't develop enough power with the sticky tires available now to need the Hydra-Drive, and the extra rotating mass is a double whammy for that kind of racing.

If you ARE going to use one, you need to set the slipper clutch extremely loose, and use the lighter (silver?) slipper spring which provides less pressure than the normal gold one.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would prefer to eliminate the hydra-drive from my buggy. Its one more thing to go wrong. Unfortunately it looks like they used a unique spur gear on the hydra drive side, and a second slipper can't just replace it.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

If you look around some, you might find the right parts that will allow you to change it over to slipper only. It would use a single slipper pad though.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What kind of car is it on? If its a singleslipper pad, then I dont think you need a different spur gear. Did they even offer the Hydrdrive for the later dual slipper set ups? I have a bunch of spare parts for the slipper assembly I think. I may even still have some spur gears.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Assuming this is on a Losi, you'll need to buy a different spur gear, a second slipper pressure plate and a set of new slipper pads. If you don't have a gold slipper clutch spring, then you'll need one of those as well. Not horribly expensive, but kind of a pain in the butt.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

The current spur gear from LOSI can be installed without much hassle. Check e-bay, there is tonnes of parts there for these old girls. There is two tranny's there right now with just the slipper set-ups.

I am actually racing a JRX2 Pro this summer. I originally restored her last winter, and decided to run it at the Canadian Winter Nats for a laugh. But the dang thing made it into the A-Main against brand new 2&4WD buggies!! I have tonnes of parts for her, so I decided to run her for one last season. But I'll tell you, I've tried both ways, and I always end up putting the Hyrda-drive back on. The buggy is so much easier to drive on tracks that have been blown out by all the MT's, 1/8's and Truggies. I'm running 19t and 10t motors on it, and with the Hydra-drive, this thing hauls over the rough stuff!

If you need a rebuild kit for it, I know a LHS that has 7-8 of them in stock with fluids.