R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Best way to mount new tires!

Hey all,
I just got some new tires and rims that cost me a pretty penny and I am curious as to the best way to mount them or shall I say techniques.I just don`t want to F-em up.
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

take some sandpaper, and scratch up the inside groove of the wheel. this will have a better bond with the ca glue.

wash the tire with soap to get it clean, so it will bond with the ca better.

dont go overboard with the ca. a little bit is enough. big drops of it will make things messy.
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I like to get both beads of the tire sitting inside the ribs of the rim. Then take some slower drying super glue and go around the whole inside lip of the rim. Then quickly set the tire bead into the rim making sure it is seated well. Then pop a couple rubber bands on it to keep it squished in, and then go around the tire/rim with a thin bead of glue. This is the cleanest looking way I've found to glue tires. Make sure and not cut the tip of the glue bottle to big or you'll squirt out to much glue and make a mess.

I start with the inside of the tire so that I get "warmed up" with the process. And that way if I make any mistakes they are not horribly visible on the outside.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Tech Addict

"I start with the inside of the tire so that I get "warmed up" with the process. And that way if I make any mistakes they are not horribly visible on the outside. "

LOLLOL now that is too funny. I have been glueing tires for lets just say a while and I still do that, inside first! Cool glad to see I'm not the only that does that.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Use a sanding drum on a Dremel and scuff the bead areas on the rims AND tires. Use either rubbing alcohol or motor spray to clean the surfaces once you're done scuffing.

After having tried unsuccessfully to use Pro-Line thin glue, I've had better luck with Team Losi thin glue. I've also tried Advantage thin, but haven't had a chance to run the tires that I mounted with that glue yet.

After taking your "first pass" at gluing the tires, grab the tire and try pulling it off the rim all the way around. Pull as hard as you can. Touch up any spots that came up, then try it again. Repeat until every millimeter of the tire bead is completely secure against the rim.

Also, cut two holes on the outsides of the tires (roughly 3/16" each - doesn't need to be huge) to allow air into the tire AND dirt to escape. This was a surprise for me after having run indoor electric off-road for so long.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
Tech Prophet
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

First off use Losi Glue. This is the best stuff and the bottle design allows you to use the whole bottle! I use Panther glue bands to hold the tire to the rim. I will mount the tire and make sure the bead is properly set. I then put the glue band on the tires. I then gently pull the tire out of the bead a little at a time and apply a small amount of glue to the tire and let it press back into the goove. Like others have said less is better then more. I then use what ever squeezes out "drip" around the edge to seal the tire/rim bond line. I do not do a lot of tire or rim prep. If the tire is not black you can use a little motor spray on a rag to clean off the bead of the tire to remove the release agent that may be left behind.
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | Venom | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR Ten-SCTE 3.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Tech Addict

I have used just about every RC realted CA glue there is and while some are good nothing compares to Loctite 406. It's a little expensive but I have never had a tire even come close to lossing it's bond and I don't have to do any touch work after the first run or two like with the others I have tried.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Make sure you put holes in the outside of the tire, not inside of the rim. This way when you get dirt inside to tires when you wash them you can rinse all the dirt out.

You can use rubber bands, Livestrong wristbands, Panther has some really nice Tire Mounting Bands, or if you dont have any of the above or your tire comes unglued at the track you can re-glue the tire on and slip the ziptie between the spokes of your rim (if it isn't a dish rim)
Team EMB
AZRCaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 AM   #9
Tech Elite
Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

i use zap ca.....its pretty good....a 14g bottle has lasted me the past 5 months and i have glued up a whole set of savage wheels.....
FG leopard comp w/Trevor Simpson 28.5 bzm crank
HIP Baja 5sct
AE tc5 3.5t speed monster,Futaba 4pks
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote