Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Burning Hot Batteries of DOOM!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Burning Hot Batteries of DOOM!!! Help!

hey all, i got some ( used ) but well working matched 3300's. they are completely fine, exept for this. when i am done running for 5 - 10 minutes, and take the battery out, it is burning hot. i get burns on my finger, thats how hot. only 2 batteries do this to me, but i dont want to toss them. my truck is properly geared onthe safe side, And im running stock motors. the esc is fine too. this is puzzling me, and my other packs dont do this to me. any help would be nice... thanx.

( i am running in 90+ degree weather... dang it's hot in Texas! )
Old 06-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What are they being run in? What type of connectors? Exactly how hot are we talking. It's not uncommon for 3300's to get to 120 or even 130 degree's while charging and while running. Can you make some ent's in the bodies to direct some air over the batteries? What's your battery maintenance routine?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

It's 102 here in Oregon and my batteries aren't hot enough to burn me. My motor is another story altogether though...
You might want to make sure that all your battery bars are soldered good and tight. A loose connection will create a lot of heat.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

i use deans connectors, and have enough airflow for my truck (xxx-t).

i think it may be a connection in both, ive ran, and the car stops, because a connection broke off a cell. i didnt do to well a job fixing it...

i think a connection may be to blame on both packs, thanx for the quick responses! i will re solder them properly, and see what happens!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

check each cell with a volt meter to see if you have a bad cell(s) in the pack.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Adept

Johnathan,
Where in Texas. K&M in New Caney?? If so, PM me. I race there also. We can probably help you.
By the way 94 deg. with stiffling humidity beats 102! Been in both.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddcarter3
Johnathan,
Where in Texas. K&M in New Caney?? If so, PM me. I race there also. We can probably help you.
By the way 94 deg. with stiffling humidity beats 102! Been in both.
oh, thanks, but thats an hours drive all the way to there, but i have solved it. it was the cell bars, one came loose on each pack, probably causing arcing and producing heat. i soldered it back with my nice, new 100 watt iron.
well, i think heat is becoming everyones enemy in texas, because i now have another problem...

my esc, in another truck of mine, gets warmish, hot after running. when it heats up, i have to adjust the trim or it will go in reverse. its an old dynamite esc that can handle 13 turns. im thinking i will get a up to date esc, but i dont have the $ cash $ with me to do so. it doesnt affect performance too much, but its just on the point of anoying when your truck does a front flip , and makes you look like a noob...
Old 06-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Johnathan
. it was the cell bars, one came loose on each pack, probably causing arcing and producing heat. i soldered it back with my nice, new 100 watt iron.
You're welcome.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cbrfreak
You're welcome.
Thank you...

Well, never mind my previous post, that esc just puffed out some smoke, and is dead. i guess it was from old age, and i was running a 27 turn most of its life... oh well. im gonna get another esc that isnt old.