Search

.21 stock or .21 modified

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default .21 stock or .21 modified

Hello all you fine RCers,

This year I am going to purchase an 1/8 scale buggy.I have decided which buggy,radio and servos but can`t decide on a motor.I have decided that I do want an O.S. motor but can`t decide if it is worth the extra cash to get one that is modified.Is there inherant running problems with modified motors and are they worth the extra 125-150$! I would imagine that modified motors burn more fuel and run harder than stock and that might compromise the longevity of the piston,sleeve and crank am I correct?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

well if youve decide on the o.s. motor it i probably the vspec and you are probably referring to the jp mod vspec correct?? if you can affdrd it i would go modified ans it doesnt really decrease the longevity and i think they even put an improved rear bearing in it. just my 2 cents
Old 06-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you get a v-spec make sure you have a good once piece motor mount and your gear mesh is perfect. The bearings in the v-specs do suck, however they don't just wear out. When the mesh is off it causes added stress and will cause serious problems for you. If you are looking for something in that $$ range that will last you a long time the nova rossi p5 plus would be the way to go. However, the v-spec is still a wicked fast motor. If you run on a track with big 200+ft. straights then it may be the way to go. Other wise it realy isn't worth it.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Yes,
These are the motors that I am thinking about.I really like my O.S. CV .12 it seems to be bulletproof and I like that.So no more opinions on this subject??????? And I ask the two of you who responded do you know this info first hand or is that just what you had heard about these motors.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you racing or bashing?

If you're racing and are very good than get the mod V-Spec.

If you bash then get the regular one and spend the extra $100 on a good servo. (A mod engine won't give you any great leaps in performance bashing).
Old 06-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

here is my opinion from someone who actually owns the engine (not hearsay). dont read too much into the bad stories about the os. i am sure there are alot of bad stories about the os cv.12 aswell?? its about how well you treat it.

i own a vspec (no mods) and it is such a great engine to drive. its power band is near perfect. on the mod issue, standard vspec has been winning everywhere. if the top drivers (i.e factory drivers) dont need a mod then you dont either.

added bonus is that its only around the $220 mark. bang for buck, you can't beat either.

Last edited by Berkky; 06-20-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

By the time you buy an OS engine and get it modded you'll be over the price of a novarossi P5 or rb ws7II. Personally if I was to spend over 200 bux it would be for the P5 solely for the fact of how long the engine life is.

If you were to get a vspec I don't see any reason to get it modded. It'll be faster than you can control just as the two engines mentioned above will be. If you get an rg and get it modded...well whats the point of that when you'll end up around the same price as a top line race engine be it os, nova, rb, or whatever?

If you're running a cv .12 in whatever 2wh drive gas truck you could put a $60 .21 engine in an 1/8 and you will still not know what to do with all that power. Any .21/buggy compared to the little engines just seem wildly fun and exciting compared to a 2 wheel vehicle. Where the high dollar race engines show their worth is on a big track with big jumps that you need great low end to time everything.

I race 1/8 and gas truck and those are just my opinions. Not bashing any engines, companies, or 2 wheel racing (which is my favorite).
Old 06-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

I wanted to thank all who added opinions here in this thread.This is good information for me to have.I will be racing not bashing,well maybe a little bashing at the track
Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Tech Elite

have u considered the thunder tiger engines? i got a thunder tiger pro21bxr in my savage and i can beat my mates kyosho inferno 7.5 sports that has a .21 in it...

these engines are REAL good and they last ages,i stopped counting thegallons at 12 gallons and its still going strong and its also internally modified and i have modified it abit more and it hauls ass,and the fuel economy is great!!!! i run the 160 cc tank in my savage for around 18 minutes before i gotta top up and im using 20%,engines dosnt overheat and has pinch like from the day i bought it

VERY nice engine,consider buying 1
Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've owned my V-Spec for two years and just recently needed to replace the piston & sleeve (worn out from use). So I replaced them with the JP modified p/s and rod. So far it performs good, much better than a worn out engine LOL but I can't claim any fantastic power increase (if there is any) or if it will last longer (racing engines tend to have shorter life spans) but it was cheaper than buying the OS parts.

BTW: My engine still has the original bearings and they look in great shape. Now I only wish that the price of those P3 plugs would come down a bit.