Hyper 7 or MBX5

Old 06-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hyper 7 or MBX5

I am selling my 1/10 nitro car and want to have a go at 1/8th buggys, the problem is i want a buggy that will be farily competitive later when i have got the hang of racing, I have some choices below can you help me choose.
Thanks

Hyper 7 Pro
MBX5
Inferno
TT eb4?
Kyosho 777
Old 06-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

MBX 5
Old 06-18-2006, 03:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

hi, anyone have any opinion on the
Hobao Hyper 7 RTR TQ Mach .28 Edition

i'm comparing this with the Hobao Hyper 7 TQ Sport RTR

i brought a tamiya nitro thunder for a month now, the damn things all made out of plastic (didnt do my research before i brought it) . interested to hear your recommendation for this thread.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default which buggy ??

I am fairly new to the buggy world . I had a hyper7 then recently purchased a XRAY XB8 and all i can say is WOW . I would recomend spending that little extra and get yourself into the XRAY ,it is an amazing buggy .
Old 06-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Vino1 - you shouldnt compare apples with orange....
the price point is way out of whack for those two models.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I have a Hyper 7 Pro that is a solid car. Tons of parts support everywhere for it. I switched to a Hyper 8 and noticed a difference right away in the handling. You may not be able to hang with some of the Jammin's or Hyper 8's all the time but the car still runs like a champ. The newer models seem to turn in a little better than any setup I could get on my Hyper 7. It is a great car though if you are trying to get the hang of racing as it is very stable and easy to drive. Stay with the C Hub version and not the Pivot Ball as the C hub is easy to tune and seems to handle better. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If your trying to save some $$$$$ you should take a very close look at the Hyper 8!!!! It is an awesome car and IMO is the best bang for the $$$
The car is very easy to drive and its quality is top of the line!!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I have made this comparo on other threads but here I go again

The Hyper 8 is a great value but it comes with tires that are very sub par. The H8 costs $399 (best US price I have seen) the MBX5 costs $449 and it comes with a nice set of Crimefighters ($40). The mbx 5 also has the among the best quality plastics and steel (it lasts as long or longer than any other buggy). Can't go wrong with the MBX5.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I have made this comparo on other threads but here I go again

The Hyper 8 is a great value but it comes with tires that are very sub par. The H8 costs $399 (best US price I have seen) the MBX5 costs $449 and it comes with a nice set of Crimefighters ($40). The mbx 5 also has the among the best quality plastics and steel (it lasts as long or longer than any other buggy). Can't go wrong with the MBX5.
Amen brother...I just worked on a new Jammin' buggy (fancy Ofna) for a friend. It's been raced maybe three times since he built it. The plastic in the arms is soooooo soft you have to pry the shocks out, screw holes are already wiped out...it doesn't have the same feel as the Mugen stuff.

Another vote for the MBX-5.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I went from a Hyper 7 to a MBX5. I loved the difference that there was between the two cars. If you made a change on the hyper, it was hard to notice what it did. When you made a change on the Muge, you noticed it right away.
I have since gone to the TTR EB4-S3. I like it even better than the Mugen. For me, it just suits my driving style better. Beleive it or not, it seems to be more durable for me as well. The Mugen is a tough as nail's car, but I have broken less with my TTR and had it longer.

I am making the move to the X-Ray fairly soon as well. I run an X-Ray in EPTC and it's hard to beat the fit and finish of the parts. They are also pretty darn durable. And the cost of the parts has dropped ALOT in my area on the parts so its alot more on par with the other cars that are out there for the cost of support.

If it's down to the Hyper series or the Mugen my vote would be the Mugen. It is a better car all around. Now the only question that you have to ask yourself is, what car can I readily get parts for? If you'll have a hard time getting Mugen parts where you are, probably not the best car for you to be getting into. Look around at what some of the other drivers in your area are driving. If one car stands out alot more than the others, I would be swayed that way just because there will be people around you that have have some knowledge about the car when you need help. They might even be nice with helping you outin a pinch when it comes to parts in the middle of a race day as well.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

777 SP2
hands down the best "ALL AROUND" buggy
nuff said

Derrek
Old 06-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Gosh...I didn't know it was that easy...LOL... I guess that's why they're making an "SP3" already...'cause they're so good already, right?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Gosh...I didn't know it was that easy...LOL... I guess that's why they're making an "SP3" already...'cause they're so good already, right?
It's a marketing thing. In reality the Kanai 3 is probably good enough. They are trying to keep people from buying other buggies. Think about it...

Every 6-8 months a new car or truck comes out for a particular class. Our hobby, dare I say, is cheap enough to buy the hottest kit of the time. These increases have a better chance of grabbing a new sale when they are pissing off current owners. Right now the best Kyosho buggy is the SP1, because you have an option to go SP2.