R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   questions on a os cvr .12 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/117979-questions-os-cvr-12-a.html)

rhymster 06-15-2006 12:26 PM

questions on a os cvr .12

i got my cvr .12 today and i started breaking it in. im using trinity beak in blend. i already heat cycled it for three tanks. my question is i started just tryin to drive it around slow but the only way i can get it to move is if i turn the high speed needle 1 3/4 turns out the manual says a good starting point is 2 turns out. but said nothing about the low speed? im not running the high speed to lean am i? it pops and i have to give it gas real slow like to get it to move?

Drock 06-15-2006 03:15 PM

first get the motor warmed up. If you can run the motor up to full speed then the first thing you set is the high speed needle. Take a BRIEF high speed pass. Listen to how the motor
sounds, If there is tons of smoke and the car is slow its to rich (Im sure you already know this) Start turning the high speed needle in at 1 hour incriments until you reach the motors best performance (top speed) and stop. 1 hour incriments ( think of the top of the needle as a clock) if the one side of the slot is pointing to 1 oclock turn it to 2 oclock then 3 oclock
checking performance with each new setting.

Now you set the low speed needle, There are many ways to do this, If the car wont idle and fuel is spitting out of the exhaust the bottom might be to rich,
Start turning the low speed needle in at 1 hour incriments. until you get the car to idle for about 8-10 seconds. now check the performance, does it have good throttle response? Or does it load up with fuel? If it has good throttle response you are getting very close. if it loads up its still to rich, richen
1 more time and check, untill you feel it is close. Now try the pinch test,
clear the motor out by reving it a couple of times, now pinch the fuel line right at the carb, the idle should rise up for about 5 sec and the motor should
shut off. If it dies right away its too lean, If it stays running for the 5 sec
and more (like 10-12 sec) its still too rich. Keep working with the low speed needle until you reach a point where the motor has good throttle response
and an 8-10 sec idle (none of these motors should idle for more than 12-15 sec without starting to load up). AND watch the temp of your motor BUT never tune to temp!
This isnt everything about tuning motors but its the overall basics, everything else is easy to learn. you'll be fine and have fun

Derrek

rhymster 06-17-2006 03:02 PM

ok thaks for the info but i was asking more less what u usually run your high speed at. i know temps and evelation make a difference but i was just trying to get a average needle setting. thanks

Drock 06-17-2006 04:57 PM

There really isnt an average needle setting
If you follow the steps I gave you you will
know YOUR engines needle settings not someone
elses. Ive seen the same motors run there best
on completely diffarent needle settings.

ProudSavageOwnr 06-17-2006 09:01 PM

depending on wer u run ur car it will have a diff tune....and remember u cannot tune it once and then leave it like that.....wen u change nitro % u re tune,every different day u run it u gotta re tune and if u change glow plug u gotta retune , same with the muffler,change a muffler u retune the engine lol

nitro is a real PITA at some stages lol