Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Electric 4wd

So now that it's been a couple months since all the new 4wd buggies have been out, I figured I would ask what your opinions are of them, since I plan on saving up 500 or so to spend on one.

I'm particularly interested in info on the X-5, X10, BJ4, ZX-5, and the Yok ()which I know absolutely nothing about). I'd ask about the XRS but I doubt anyone knows anything about it other than the name.

The tracks I will be racing on are all hardpack clay/sand/dirt and small rocks (asphalt size approximately). It's never wet, but it's not a bluegroove type track, rubber doesn't get laid down. And the biggest freakin' jumps I've ever seen on a 1/10 track. The jumps are big enough for 1/8 buggies easily, but the track is small, very short runways, so acceleration, deceleration, and a tight cornering ability are very critical. It's basically the most damaging track you can imagine.

Oh, and one last thing. No need to get into arguements over whose car is better, it's all opinions, everyone's got one

Thanks!

Last edited by HVAC25000; 05-24-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Definately not the ZX-5 for your best choice, I own one and it is not one of the most durable of cars, but having said that I have not driven any of the other 4wd cars.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'd go for the X10,BJ4 or the ZX5.....all are great..I have them all.....X10 a bit more harder to get parts for but not too bad their's a couple places here in the US that carry them......ZX5 ..pretty easy to get parts for...BJ4 what can I say..it's sweet.....out of all I prefer the BJ4 or the X10....but I'm on hard pack no rocks...I've driven them all on a track simular to what you described..and they did good on it too...it's all about set-up....I'd kindof find out what most people are running around theirand what you LHS stock's parts wise. Unless you don't mind to just order extras...That's what I do....all in all their all pretty great car's.....The X5 I've never driven...so cant really say...but I never heard anything bad about it.... it comes down to personal prefference.....Me I like AE and other's.....other people like Losi and other's
Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

first off theres a search button for a reason

second i say the BJ4WE because its an AWESOME car. very durable and handles better than anything i own.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Don't be a dickhead, rcdude. You don't have to speak to me like I'm an idiot.

The newest 4wd info I could find was 2 months old, and contained no real info about the x-5 or the x10, beyond speculation. Some minor input from guys who had x10s but didn't race on high flying american tracks. I have yet to read anything from anyone who owns an x-5.

Instead of being rude, how about you point me to the correct thread that has an answer to my questions? What of the cars listed is the most durable? Which one handles best on hard rough surfaces? Which one accelerates the best on hard rough surfaces? Which one is capable of taking huge jumps at ease?

Oh, and as for your input being useful. "handles better than anything i own." Good job on that one. For all I know you own a BJ4WE, a monster truck, and a honda civic. If you own an x10, x-5, have driven them, or have raced against them, and thus know what you are talking about, then I'm interested in your half-assed, and sometimes downright rude, input

Last edited by HVAC25000; 05-23-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

i can't speak regarding the other cars, however, i had one of the original bj4's and have since converted it into the world's edition car.

the original bj4 was (and still is) a very smooth and well handling car. however, it also had a couple of down sides......the front arms are as brittle as pretzels and would snap all to easily. the rear end would sometimes step out on you from time to time and overall, the balance of the car was not quite right. it was better behaved on a blue groove track than a rough one.

with the world's edition, all of those problems have been dealt with. the car is now darn near bullet proof.....handles blue groove as well as rough tracks exceptionally well and is almost perfectly balanced. it's truely a car that loves to be driven fast......and it's easy to drive it fast too. if i had one complaint about the world's edition, it would be the access to the motor mounting screws. it's not bad the way it is, but it's not really easy to get to them either.

hope this helps you.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well I should just keep my mouth shut...but I have a ZX-5 and it is sweet. It handles great, jumps exceptional, and is very durable. I had some problems with it at first but have worked out all the bugs and it doesn't brake any longer. I have driven a Yokomo Mr4-BC and a xx-4 and I like my zx-5 so much better. I have seen a few BJ4's at the local track and they do not look as good as any of the other 4wds. All in all I don't think you can make a bad descision, just make sure you can get parts....and Good Luck
Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info, guys! I will, ofcourse, wait for more input before I decide.

I like how I've read in a couple places that the BJ4 is durable, I'm a big fan of durable, because whatever I buy, I'm going to beat the living daylights out of, but I'd also like to win races because the car does what I need it to when I tell it to, rather than lose them because the car is like a fish out of water.

I used to own a XXX-4, but it wasn't at all capable of accelerating on rough surfaces, so I'm now looking for something that can. I don't like being out accelerated, and thus out jumped, by a 2wd buggy...
Old 05-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Apologies for hijacking your thread HVAC, but can we also add the new Yoke BX to the list of 4wd buggies for review?

I have been looking seriously at getting this buggy, so how does it compare and proform against some of the other buggies on the market? Has anyone had enough time with it to give a fare comparison? I'm new to offroad and any advice would most welcome.

I have to say this is an informative and legitimate thread dispite what rcdude thinks.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At CRCRC in Columbus, OH, All of the ZX-5's, BJ4's and XXX-4's had a hell of a time keeping up with my XX-4 WE. Yes, the front arms/spindles are weak, but the car is on rails!!! Best of all, if you get bored with the XX-4, you can turn it into a X-5! I just wish Losi parts were a bit cheaper.... Seems Associated parts are at least 25% cheaper.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the ZX-5. I had a XX-4 WE. I sold it, wanted a new car so I bought the ZX-5. The ZX-5 out of the box ($300) is fragile. I upgraded to the aluminum shock tower mounts and front arm holder(rckenon.com $80 total), and Carbon Works chassis, top deck, battery strap and shock towers ($130). The car is now extremly tough and hooked up. I highly recommend this car. They are all competetive and tough after spending about $500. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a X-5 and a Bj4we. I like them both, but on high bite tracks, the BJ4 loves to traction roll. The X-5 is a great car but requires more attention during the build. The X-5 is much easier to drive and has a very great suspension for bumpy outdoor tracks.
Parts support for the Bj4 is awesome, but chances are that your hobby store might not carry their parts. The X-5 parts that break are losi parts and available everywhere. If not, Chazz at X-factory will get you what you need fast too.
I always have electronics in both cars because it is very tough to pick between the two. If I were you, I would go for the car that you have the most experience with, and most spare parts (Losi or Associated.)

Brad
Old 05-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

hvac- i have driven the xxx-4, zx-5, x-5 and xx-4 and still think the bj4 is a much better car. the build is great and it doesnt require hand fitting like the x-5. parts are easy to order and jconcepts customer service is second to none. i have never seen an x-10 in person but i hear they arent very good on american tracks and parts are VERY hard to come by. i didnt mean to come across as a jackass and if i did im sorry.

heres some info on the x-10: x-10

bj4-bj4we

comparing- comparing

xx-4: xx-4

Last edited by Chris Jarosz; 05-24-2006 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:03 AM
FBR
Tech Adept

i had a zx-5 and the car had a ton of potential but i raced it on an 1/8th style track as well and had issues braking parts (i hear that is resolved) i switched to the bj4we and don't regret that decision the only other car that i would have considered had it been available at the time would have been the new yok.

in terms of durability i have broken arms and shock caps on the bj4 (i use yok shock caps so they are a little weaker)
on the zx-5 i would break the rear hubs (split right up the seam), front bulkheads (although with the aluminum parts that problem is solved) and i bent an unatanium shock shaft flat landing a jump (i used ae shocks since i couldn't get the kyosho shocks to stop leaking)
Travis
Old 05-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Check out the new Yokomo too...

I have driven the BJ4 WE and I own a ZX5. I prefer the ZX5, but with time I'm sure I could get used to the BJ4. Only thing I don't like are those expensive BJ4 arms that always seem to break

I have broken a lot on my ZX5, but I was new to mod at the time and concrete walls are not nice to rc cars... Now I rarely break, and when I do, its ALWAys during practice. I try during practice to drive as hard and fast as I can and then just smooth it out for a race. This unfortunately results in me breaking during practice...

If I had to ditch everything and buy another car, I would personally first drive the new Yokomo and check that out. But between the BJ4 and the ZX5, I would still go for the ZX5 because of price of parts... But it would be a VERY close call...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.