Ok have some quentions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok have some quentions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

No i really didn't like the t-maxx i either want the Revo 3.3 or the Jato 3.3 they just brought out. But i heard the 2.5r is crazy fast and hard to keep down. Let alone the 3.3 being on it, well the only thing is you have to keep charging them to keep them running all day long right? and do you have to have a discharger?
And if i do get the XXX-T im looking at what around 400.00 plus a charger/discharger and about another 100.00 for the batteries right? I just don't wanna get into something that im going to have to charge for along time and not get to run much. I really like electric don't get me wrong it's just that you have to have alot of batteries to run along time right? But i guess it would be cheaper than to buy gas and glow plugs all the time hu?

Last edited by bpandragon; 06-07-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

six of one half dozen of the other. I have a tmaxx and enjoy it, you do have to let it cool down and check the temps often, as much as electrics anyways, you can run all day one on charge on a monster truck. Why not look into the XXXnt or the GT if you are leaning nitro, you get the size and similar handling of the electrics, with the maintanance and punch of nitro. Either way it willbe fun, but as you can see, I have 3 electric and 2 nitro, and I run them about evenly. Maybe get a used electric, and a used revo, or whatever. It all takes teh same time, nitro might even be more, scrubbing all the oiley dirt off the arms, doing after run maintanance, electric, blow it off, and charge the stuff, and you can charge repeak a pack in about 2 packs time, and if you have 2 chargers you can run non stop all day. Nitro, it just costs upwards of $35 a gallon, that is a battery pack, so you will be 650 into a revo, with all the crap on top of the truck ( battery, extra plugs, fuel, fuel bottle etc) and for that much you can get an electric, with about 5 batteries and a charger, and extra rear wheels and tirescause you are going to want them, for about any of teh vehicles that you listed.
Rod
Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gatermaxx
six of one half dozen of the other. I have a tmaxx and enjoy it, you do have to let it cool down and check the temps often, as much as electrics anyways, you can run all day one on charge on a monster truck. Why not look into the XXXnt or the GT if you are leaning nitro, you get the size and similar handling of the electrics, with the maintanance and punch of nitro. Either way it willbe fun, but as you can see, I have 3 electric and 2 nitro, and I run them about evenly. Maybe get a used electric, and a used revo, or whatever. It all takes teh same time, nitro might even be more, scrubbing all the oiley dirt off the arms, doing after run maintanance, electric, blow it off, and charge the stuff, and you can charge repeak a pack in about 2 packs time, and if you have 2 chargers you can run non stop all day. Nitro, it just costs upwards of $35 a gallon, that is a battery pack, so you will be 650 into a revo, with all the crap on top of the truck ( battery, extra plugs, fuel, fuel bottle etc) and for that much you can get an electric, with about 5 batteries and a charger, and extra rear wheels and tirescause you are going to want them, for about any of teh vehicles that you listed.
Rod
I'm not throwing your opinion out the door but just correcting it.Yes you have to check the temps every now and then but once it's tuned your pretty much good to go. A properly tuned engine can and will run 10 hours straight as long as you have gas,batts of course. Just keep that in mind. Also if you include all the extra batteries you'll need to run all day your pretty much in the same price range. Electric is cheaper out the door but in the long run Nitro has the advantage imo.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i think its the other way around, nitro can be cheaper in the short run, because for electric you have to buy all the batteries and everything up front, but then thats all you have to buy, for nitro you have to keep buying fuel, so over a season, nitro can end up more money depending how much you run it, i know guys that put 10 + gallons through their trucks easy in a season, so you figure even at $30 a gallon, thats $300 just on fuel, not to mention air filter oil, after run oil if you use it, glow plugs if you burn a couple up, its harder to clean a nitro car, you got your glow ignitors you have to keep charged, fuel bottles, starting device you have to keep charged,

thats one thing people never think about for nitro, althgouh the truck its self runs on nitro, all the accessories are still powered by batteries, and you need chargers for them, and you have to make sure they are charged,

dont get me wrong thgouh, i run both, and they both are fun, but i spend way less money on my electric than nitro, i've had the same buggy for 3 years now, same batterys, same everything, so you spread out the intial cost of the car and 4 packs and charger over three years, and it works out pretty cheap,

also you dont need a discharger if your not racing, just running the packs till they are dead will be fine, even if you are racing, unless your on a pro level you dont need the discharger, especailly for offroad 2wd,
Old 06-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well i know i can't afford all the gas to run Nitro since the baby is due in August and im just looking to have some fun and not to much money in it. So i think im going with bob on it im going to get electric so that i have more time running it and not have to worry about tuning and cleaning all the time. So is there any other electric i should consider before i get the XXX-T. I think i would be happy with Team Losi since i have the MINI LST already and love it. Now when you say until the truck stops that is when the batterie is dead but the servo still has power to move the wheels is that correct?
Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

ya, when the truck starts to slow down, how ever far you want to take it, NIMH cells dont build a memory like the old Nicad's did, so you can charge it from pretty much any level of charge, but ya, i'd drive it till it wont drive any more, the steering will still work, but you wont have enoguh juice to actually drive it,

as far as other cars go, personally i think the losi is the best deal, because it comes with a nice radio, and the brushless is a nice touch, but team associated also makes nice kits, i think if you stick with either losi or associated you will be happy with the results,

the nice thing about the brushless, is then you dont have to worry about brushes, or cutting the com, or any of that stuff, it makes for alot less maintance, and correct me if i'm wrong, b ut with the speed control the truck comes with, i think you can upgrade the motor to the 5800 size novak, if the stock one isn't quick enough for you,
Old 06-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Associated T4 is good, not sure if it is HPI or Hot bodies but one of them makes a 4wd 1/10th electric truck, I have heard that the associated are better suited for rough tracks and bashing than the Losi, not trying to start any huge debate on Losi v AE, but a more knowledgable response is ok.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I just want to get the best for offroad and just in the parking lot kind of running. Well actually the TL XXX-T is only 2wd do they make a brushless AE. Because i know i wanna go brushless but i don't want to have to buy one to replace the brush motor, wouldn't it be more costley in the long run? I also like touring cars but don't wanna spend the money on running at the track and you can't really run them easly on the parking lots right? I heard that you can run the 4Tec on any pavement also is this true? Or would it be better just to get the st truck?

Last edited by bpandragon; 06-08-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

anyone or is nobody going to post on this one again?
Old 06-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Just bump it they'll get to you
Old 06-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

The truth is each has it's pros and cons. The gas vehicles also need charging, sometimes hardcore gas racers forget that they spent the night before charging radio batteries(which die regardless of what powers your car/truck), reciever batteries, glow ignitor batteries, starter box(2 packs) if you use one, etc.(even a temp gun uses a battery)

So if anything is a flashlight it is the gas car, which uses up to 5 batteries, vs Electric which uses 2. (and their needed chargers)

The gas car will also require more attention, especially compared to the brushless set up. Not to mention those longer runs add up to faster wear and tear.

With good packs the electric will give you 10-15 minutes of runtime, no problem. Not sure about you, but I can only do so many donuts and jumps before it is time for a break and a look over the truck/car.

Gas makes the noise, so it sounds more realistic and it runs longer between recharges, if it stays running....
Electric is simpler and faster in alot of cases(on a track especially), also less messy. All records for speed are held by electric R/C cars. Records for runtime are held by gas!

...Jim
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

I totally understand what your talking about, so im going to just stick with electric and be happy with running and not cleaning all the time. I still am wondering if touring cars are only for track instead of like parking lots? I really would love to have a touring car but i heard they are alot to deal with vs the truck like the XXX-T.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bpandragon
I totally understand what your talking about, so im going to just stick with electric and be happy with running and not cleaning all the time. I still am wondering if touring cars are only for track instead of like parking lots? I really would love to have a touring car but i heard they are alot to deal with vs the truck like the XXX-T.
not true. i have a factory team tc3, and i bash it and drift it, and jump it off of curbs, and it stands up to my abuse very well. only thing i really have broken are the A-arms. but thats from going full speed into a drift, and hitting a curb. (i run a brushless btw.)

but get the xxx-t brushless! you can run it both on and offroad! more bashable if u want to jump and stuff.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Actually im more into just running back and fourth in the parking lot and stuff other than really jumping and bashing i don't really go out to break anything. So can you run the electric touring on streets and parking lots? so you have the tc3 but what do you have that you run brushless? I wanna do some custom body paint jobs on a touring body but i don't wanna get one and can only run on smooth pavement im. I would love to have a drifter also
Old 06-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

i run totally stock tc3. but the thing is, my tc3 is a factory team tc3, so it has some mods that the regular tc3s dont have. get a TC4 or something if your just bashing. but i still recommend the truck since you can run a truck or buggy just about anywhere. You can pick up a drifter later if you want one. Tamiya TT-01s work great as drifters, and they run around 100 bucks kit (that comes with everything..like esc..motor...radio..etc) at towerhobbies.com

good luck deciding. i personally say either buy the xxx-t brushless, or get a buggy of sometype. then move on to onroad later. onroad does get sort of boring if you only run by yourself back and forth on the street though..

btw, to drift, you only need a onroad car, and some drifting tires and your ready to go. nothing really to "mod" if you have a decent car. you should be able to find a rtr tc3 on ebay for maybe around 100 dollars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.