R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-08-2003, 07:35 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Nitro MT racer

Im joe from australia and i have ALWAYS loved remote controled cars and boats..

I am a total newb! but i have done my research and i originaly wanted the HPI Nitro MT.. But after a bit more research i think the racer is more on the lines of what im looking for!
The problem is this kit doesnt have an engine and ect..

so thats why i am here! to ask you folks what engine and other parts you think i should purchase for this car!

I really dont wanna spend TO much but i want alot of power/speed.

The use of this car will be mainly offroad but all round use.
Please help me if you can! thanks heaps
proficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:06 AM   #2
Tech Rookie
Send a message via ICQ to KaBlookie Send a message via AIM to KaBlookie

aiight if you're going to go with the Racer, you're gonna be spending slightly more money in the short term and less money in the long term. with the kit or RTR, it would be the opposite. but since you've decided on the Racer, here's what I would recommend:

you should take a good look at the O.S. engines, the .15 ones in particular, b/c the extra torque over the .12s really helps when off-roading. now i'm assuming you want a pull-starter with your engine so look at the .15 CV-RX , i've heard nothing but good stuff about them. one of these should set you back $150-180 USD (sorry, i can't really say in your currency). there are more crazy engines like Picco, Novarossi, RB Concepts etc, but those are noticeably more expensive. you're also gonna want a better flywheel than the one that comes with the kit (it's not bad, but it would be good to get another one) like this one. a good (and slightly cheaper)alternative to this engine would be HPI's .15SS , which is not as powerful, but is still a pretty good buy.

if you want to stay with the stock header and pipe for now, then okay. it is, however recommended that you get upgraded ones. this is a good, and very commonly used header, and you should consider the CVEC pipe although you wouldn't be allowed to race in sponsored races cause they dont allow any pipes with moving parts. they do sound GREAT and definitely give you more power than the stock pipe.

you're also gonna want an in-line fuel filter, just in case some stuff gets into the fuel tank, so it doesnt get to the engine.

Hope this helps some, and if you have any more questions, email me, IM me, PM me, or just post here

KaBlookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:29 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I agree with most of the above, but the 15cv-rx is a short stroke engine, so it is made for HP not torque. Most .15 engines are square (bore=stroke) meaning you get the most hp and torque. Another engine to look at would be the HPI .12ss It has a new type of sleave, so it is cheeper than most .12 engines. With a pull start it is about 139.00 US. I have a Nova Rossi CX12P in my NMT and I like it a lot. Cost on it was 189.00 us.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
Tech Rookie
Default ta

Wow, thanks for your help! HEAPS
the HPI Nitro Star .15 SS seems like the go, what is the equivilant of a .12 for abotu 100US - 130US.
The price really adds up doesnt it :P
Old 01-09-2003, 05:03 AM   #5
Tech Rookie
Default please

cmon please help me
Old 01-15-2003, 02:35 PM   #6
Tech Rookie
Default MT engine

I started out with an HPI 15ss on my MT. It was a good learning engine but it really doesn't have the hp of many others out there(the ss has about .78 hp). I've got 2 mt's right now one has a Picco .15 (1.25 hp) and the other an OS CV-R (1.2 hp). Both run very strong and I can't say anything negative about either. I've gotten good service from Trinity/Picco on some questions but haven't needed to contact OS about anything.

Tower Hobbies is a very good place to shop as they carry both engines. Believe it or not the Picco is cheaper at around $130. vs. the OS at $159.

Good luck..
Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote