Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone fimilar with the Hyper 21 8 Port

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy Anyone fimilar with the Hyper 21 8 Port

I have a New Hyper 21 8 port that I have just broke in in my buggy with 20% and now that I have it on the track I have a hard time keeping the temp down. What's to run 280-325 degrees.. I have to richen the hell out of it to get it to run 280. Then I have no performance... I checked the clutch bearings and the wheel bearings etc... and came up with no binding going on at all. What do you think is wrong with it? Anyone ever run across this problem with this engine?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

is this a pull start version ??
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Nope...
Old 05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Have you checked for air leaks? If you don't have fuel leaking from under the head, then I wouldn't suspect that. The front bearing and backplate are the usual suspects. The base of the carb is another common culprit. All will make it run real lean and hot.

The only other thing I could suggest is the tranny binding or slipping of the clutch. Sounds like you've checked some of that already. Keep an eye on the clutch shoes, they can tell you really fast if there is an issue in the drive train.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Do the pinch test on the fuel line. If your low end is outta whack than your high end will be too.

Warm it up, pull it in and squeeze the fuel line close to the nipple on the carb. It should rev up and want to stall all within 3 to 5 seconds. If the low end is rich it will run longer and just putz out. If low end is to lean it will rev way up quickly and die right away. A lean low end will make your temps fluctuate all over the place.

I always recommend finding the stock manufacturers carb settings and just start over from there. Tune the high speed in first, then the low speed, then the idle.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I had good luck with that engine when I broke it down and sealed all the parts with high temp sealant. Also runs much better with an OS 20e carb.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

my hyper 21 is a pull start. i couldn't get this motor to run for about two weeks. someone told me to seal the pull start. mine runs fine now. it starts right up and holds a tune. try sealing the back plate.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:07 AM

I couldn't get mine to run right at all until I listened to others and tried the carb from my OS RG. It made for a perfect running engine.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by baih
my hyper 21 is a pull start. i couldn't get this motor to run for about two weeks. someone told me to seal the pull start. mine runs fine now. it starts right up and holds a tune. try sealing the back plate.
Yep, I had one in my Pirate 10. Same thing, it ran horrible. The guy at the LHS suggested sealing it. I had some excess fuel by the pullstart. So I sealed up the back plate. It ran like a banshee after that.

I've been doing it ever since.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I had the Hyper 8 port and was really good.

I have now the newer version, The turbo head version and is even better. I race with it now and is better than my OS V-Spec. Not quite as powerfull but more user friendly.
There must be something wrong as every hyper 8 port are very good.