R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default Mexican Nationals 2nd Stage by PatoConcha (Tabushi)

Hi guys,

Well, already finished the second stage of the Mexican Offroad Championship 2006 (MT's, Truggy and Buggy) at Tampico City (north of Mexico). I will try to do a little article about my experience there ... after 10 hours of bus for get the city event and 10 hours to get back to the city im working in Mexico i have a lot to talk about hehehehe.

Saturday :

- First day of the event. 11.00hrs as starting time so rapidly started to prepare myself for everything. 08.30hrs i was at the track and charged all my batteries for the day. Walked around the track 2 complete laps trying to know where do the best lines for racing. This is my first time in offroading as a pure racer on Monster Truck and Buggy (specially in Buggy, being my first time with a buggy on a track). There was about 20 Monsters and 30 Buggies from all over Mexico (Tampico as city of the event, Guadalajara, Pachuca, Monterrey, Queretaro, etc.).

- First MT and Buggy heat were merely to know the track better after the practices and know how fast the other pilots were. In MT my main concerns were 2 guys, one Savage X and one Revo higly modified with .18TM engine. In buggy the story was different cause i droped on a group with a couple of top mexican drivers that for sure will get the A-Main so i tried to look at them as they practiced in order to try to learn something.

- Second and third heats. In MT i tried to do my best with a Faster Tamiya TNX PRO + .18TZ engine that gave me the pole position with 14 laps in 10 minutes and 07 seconds. The fight was hard specially against a yellow and green Revo with .18TM engine that turned my life into a nightmare, very fast pilot indeed. In Buggy i was pushing my self hard to try to at least reach the B-Main, as i was starting to see the overall positions with almost all the top 7 pilots doing same number of laps within just seconds of difference between them ... at least in Buggy my Jammin was doing a good job and the STS .21T engine showed to be a real contender against engines with 2 or 3 times its price.

- By the end of the day i was very happy with my results but preocupied cause all the pilots were getting better and better after each heat (the race its based on 4 x 10 minutes heats for qualifying).

Sunday :

- Second day. Arrived to the track at 08.00hrs and prepared all the stuff for a very stressing day.

- I was dediced of not to run the last heat due that i already had the pole and was hard to somebody to get it over. But talking with the fast revo pilot we decided to race each other on the last heat just to try ourselves (mistake !!!) ... the heat began and we were fighting each other for the whole 10 minutes, changing the lead about 8 to 10 times ... but i pushed him very hard and he ended killing my pole by 3 1/2 seconds ... damn !!! ... was a beautiful fight on the track, good job Jorge !!.

- In buggy i took the advice (by MSN) of my chassis and fuel sponsor (Maxy Velazco from Maxy's Fuel) and i modified some little things on the Jammin, which let me put 15 laps on 10 minutes and 1 second. At that time i was on firt place for B-Main, man i was so nervous getting such a great result for my buggy debut, so i was trying to put in my head to run a calm and easy race in order to maintain myself at least on the 3rd place to jump to the A-Main.

- Monster Truck A-Main (30 minutos). Little to nothing to tell here, i was hoping to eat the race and get first place as many Buggy and MT drivers were telling me how fast at the track my TNX was ... bad luck i had a great start and was in first place for a couple of laps when a screw of the rear suspension links came off and my pitmant worked fast to put another one back, 3 laps later, same thing and again, 1 lap later again same stuff ... finally i ended doing a lot of pit time and my pitman ended puting some looong screw with a lock nut on the other side so it will stay there, but was too late, i went back on the race behind the 9th for 3 laps so my pitman started to yell "come on Pato, fly !" ehehehehe ... i did a very good race after that nut just finished in 6th place and the fast yellow Revo pilot had some technical problems too and ended 3rd.

- B-Main, Buggy 1/8 (30 minutes). Behing at the first place for the start i was very very nervous but lucky me i ended doing a very good race with just a few mistakes and finished 1st place, so nervous that when the race director spoke by microphone "congrats Pato Concha for the first place" about 1/4 lap before crossing the finish line, i crashed my buggy 2 times hehehehe just because of the stress i had !!!. I was very happy and soooo nervous about having the chance to race an A-Main on my offroad debut.

- A-Main, Buggy 1/8 (40 minutes). Behing first place on B-Main, i started the A-Main in 8th place. The only changes i made to the buggy for this A-Main was changing the clutch bearings, throw some WD40 over all the other ball bearing areas of the buggy and checked everything (air filter, pipe support, etc) and added 2mm to the front and rear spring as preload, just to be sure that on that hot weather the suspension not end feeling so soft on 40 minutes of racing (and i was right !!). This was the longest 40 minutes of my entire life, in onroad racing i had the chance to race 1 hour mains many times, but offroading is sooo different with the track changing its conditions lap by lap. My start was almost perfect, my pit man instead of puting myself looking on the same direction as track goes, he left me looking 90º to the track so i crossed it and accelerated fast on the free outside part of the straight and ended after the first turn puting myself on the 3rd place. I maintained myself on third place for a couple of laps and then got the second position. I must be honest and say that i had the perfect car and perfect engine, but was my lack of experience on offroad racing that started after some 10 to 15 minutes of racing to make stupid mistakes. Hope to do better next time at the 3rd stage in July 29th and 30th in Monterrey City - México.

Thanks a lot to :

- All the Mexican guys, they know how to give you friendship inside and outside of the track, great group of friends !!.
- My Chassis and Fuel sponsor, Maxy Velazco from Maxy's Fuel for the excellent adviced he gave me prior to the race from USA, the Jammin performed flawless and got all the beating i gave without a single broken or bended part.
- My Buggy engine sponsor, Racernine.com, the STS .21 Team Edition engine + STS Pipe showed to be on par with other engines that double or triple its price and my engine never passed 98ºC barrier. I was passing over JP's, RB's, OS's and others ... great combination of bottom and top end.
- Not my sponsor but a great help, thanks to David Joor from Avid RC bearings for the bearing pack he sent me as emergency package, without those surely my car was not as free as he felt even after the hard 40 minutes of racing.

Here are the list of Chassis and engines for the Buggy A-Main :

** Daniel Ornelas made the TQ, Maxy's Fuel Pilot.

1 Beto Gutierrez Mugen MBX 5 Prospec
2 Melecio Perez Mugen MBX5 Prospec
3 Pato Concha Jammin STS .21T (Maxy's Fuel)
4 Ramon Sigrist CL-1
5 Humberto Gutierrez Mugen MBX5
6 Daniel Ornelas Xray XB8 JP FX8T (Maxy's Fuel)
7 Israel Perez Mugen RB
8 Jorge Elizondo Mugen RB
9 Said Segura Kyosho Kanai 2 OS RZ (Maxy's Fuel)
10 Alejandro Molina Mugen

And here are the videos that were taken by a couple of guys with my camera :

1.- Last 7 minutes of the Buggy B-Main where i got first place :

2.- Start of the 40 minutes A-Main Buggy :

3.- 3rd Heat of Group number 2 of MT's :

4.- 4th Heat of Group number 2 of MT's :

5.- 2nd Heat of Goup number 1 of Buggy :

6.- 2nd Heat of Buggy goupr 3 :

ps : - On MT videos, im the blue one.

ps 2 : - On buggy videos, im the Green Body with Yellow Rims and Yellow Wing.

Patricio "PATO" Concha

E-Mail : pato_concha@yahoo.com
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085

Last edited by Tabushi; 05-31-2006 at 06:34 AM.
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Send a message via AIM to SavageSYNTH25

Great article and videos, and congrats on the 3rd place finish!

The buggy looked pretty good out there.
SavageSYNTH25 is offline   Reply With Quote