Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into NITRO

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Getting back into NITRO

Hey everyone I'm getting back into RC cars specifically I would like to get into nitro first. I'm deciding one which type of nitro offroad rc I want. I'm mainly settled on a stadium truck but are stuck on a few, from what I've seen the Jato looks like a solid option but I see a lot of people talk about the Team Losi XXXNT Adam Drake one. I don't mind if its a kit but I'm looking for the bang for my buck. Or also the XXXNT RTR, and the RC10GT. I can't really decide from the 4 I was wondering if you guys could steer me in a better direction for which one to buy. Like I said I plan to race but would also like to bash in the backyard also. I could go for a buggy but I'm not as interested, I owned a duratrash one and it served me well for a long time before it finally crapped out. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

eh for the stadium truck nitro, I think you should look otherwise. The xxx-nt and GT are nice, by I don't know it seems like the best way to go with stadium trucks are electric, because that's big indoor and outdoor for the general New England area. You can match a nitro with electric motors these days very easily. The T4's and XXX-T's are astounding with brushless, you can go 5.5t easily. I've got a few friends who sold their nitro stadium trucks because of the close match and a fussy nitro. (T4 w/ gtp 5.5 over Nitro rustler)

I would go with something like a 1/8 Nitro buggy. I would have to say that's where most of the buggy nitro racing is at. The product competition is high there too, and the actual 1/8 nitro buggy is a good choice because of the speed and size. Mugen, Kyosho, it doesn't matter that much, but if you would like to see a nice buggy test video go to www.rc411.com I think it is and go to buggy shoot out I think it's called heh haven't seen it for a while but it's a video everyone looking to buy a nitro should consider.

The reason I suggest larger than a 1/10 is because the nitros have the major advantage in engine size over electrics at that level. Monster Trucks and Huge buggys are the way to go Nitro if you ask me. I know I say this as someone who doesn't yet own a nitro offroad car, but then again I know the weaknesses of electrics that way so I hope to point you in the right direction a little bit to what you would get the most use out of race wise, but hey it's your choice nitro stadium trucks are a blast too so if it's just for fun or for race that's still a good option. You should check out some of the nitro videos on that site above for great nitro tests before you buy.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

i agree...in the hampton roads area...the 1/8th buggy and truggy classes are taking off...growing even from last year...i am pretty new to nitro as well...dont worry about the engine size...just about anyone at my track will help you if you think you need help...or want help...it seems to be a very friendly class...even the pro drivers will help...most i have talked to are great guys...

and 1/8th buggys and truggys are very easy to drive...and the acceleration is sweet too...but they are still a good match for a good 1/10th with a nasty brushhless...well on a tight track they are...
Old 05-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

here are a list of good 1/8th buggies that you should check out and research:

*Hobao Hyper8
*Caster Zx-1 Pro&RTR www.casterracing.com
*HongNor X1CR Pro
*Mugen MBX5 pro spec
*Xray XB8 or XB8
*Kyosho 777 sp2
to name a few..

if you want a nitro off road definatly go with the 1/8th buggy class, its fun,fast,and you meet alot of helpful racers like mentioned by "wildchild" and whats your budget? where are you from? here in Aus you can get a caster zx-1 pro for $750AU which is resonably cheap and parts arent expensive compared to Mugen MBX5 pro spec.,kyosho 777 sp2 ,xray xb8
Old 05-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaRaceMasta
here are a list of good 1/8th buggies that you should check out and research:

*Caster Zx-1 Pro&RTR www.casterracing.com

if you want a nitro off road definatly go with the 1/8th buggy class, its fun,fast,and you meet alot of helpful racers like mentioned by "wildchild" and whats your budget? where are you from? here in Aus you can get a caster zx-1 pro for $750AU which is resonably cheap and parts arent expensive compared to Mugen MBX5 pro spec.,kyosho 777 sp2 ,xray xb8
Dude, not to be smart, but pushing this buggy onto Americans just won't work... there are way too many buggies with better parts support within the states, and most are cheaper to us.....

As far as stadium trucks go, the NT and GT are the most raceworthy of what was listed, if it's allowed at teh track then the Jato may be fine.... but alot of places won't allow it for it's 2 speed...... If you plan on racing.....
Old 05-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AE guy
eh for the stadium truck nitro, I think you should look otherwise. The xxx-nt and GT are nice, by I don't know it seems like the best way to go with stadium trucks are electric, because that's big indoor and outdoor for the general New England area. You can match a nitro with electric motors these days very easily. The T4's and XXX-T's are astounding with brushless, you can go 5.5t easily. I've got a few friends who sold their nitro stadium trucks because of the close match and a fussy nitro. (T4 w/ gtp 5.5 over Nitro rustler)

WHAT?????

Comparing a nitro rustler to a T4????? even with a stock motor the T4 should be able to beat a N Rustler on a closed coarse...... comparing the 2 is obserd!!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

i dont think that 4.95us is expensive...thats what i buy arms for at the LHS...now there are a few parts that are $$$ but they dont break...they wear out in 2 or 3 years use...

i would say mugen or xray...

a Kyosho...even the SP2 is garbage...have you ever read...wait...looked at the destruction manual...you get exploded diagrams and thats it...with the xray and others you get a book that helps you set up the car...and the diffs...i constantly see the kyosho guys in them...buying gears...
Old 05-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

ok fair enough, true its better to get a buggy that does have better parts availablity, i dont live in america so i wouldnt know whats buggies are easier to ge parts for. but yea kyosho has been around for yrs so if thats available in most areas where you live go for that
Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

for what you said, the GT, GT2, or either of the XXX NT's will be allright, rought rack you might lean more towards one of the associateds. Truggy or Monster truck might be a little more fun, but I have not driven a nitro 1/10th gas truck, so have no personal experience with the gas truck. Electric 1/10 truck is the BOMB. The truggy class is growing like mad, and 1/8th buggies as well.
HTH
Rod
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

Bang for the buck (if going 1/8 buggy like some have suggested) I'd say nothing beats a Hyper7 PBS, wont break on ya, easy to get parts/upgrades, hyper .21 engine is fast as hell if tuned right and with a good pipe. Can bash it and race it and will do good at either. But I'm biased as I own one, got it used (barely) for $250 rtr with upgraded pipe and servo's, just a thought!

Old 05-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah you guys bring up a good point. Today I went to my local Hobbytown to ask about tracks and etc and there aren't many tracks but I still have much hope! I am thinking I might look into the 1/8th buggy scene and look into more electric trucks. The other option I have is the TC4 for touring
Old 05-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Well outdoor tracks anyways, but I live up in the North East, bottom of New Hampshire . The other question I have are brushless motors allowed in competition?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

NH you say? No racing up there???

http://rccaraction.com/rc/info/rctrack_srch_insert.asp

Check that out. From what I have heard, Route 106 Race Park is a great place to run. As for what to race...most likely buggy or MT/Truggy would be the best bet. 1/10 Stadium, Nitro or Electric seem to be a bit of a dying breed on the local level, except of course, in the winter time.If you do race, the GT or Losi trucks are good. The Jato, if allowed(probably will be) CAN! be made to run exceptionally well on the track, BUT it would take a lot to do that. Probably not worth it for a N0oB.
Buggies- Ofna Hyper 8
Jammin XCR-1
Both of the above are actually marketed by Ofna, manufactured by different companies. Both have great race potential and parts would be very easy to obtain and cheap
Mugen MBX-5- Top of the line buggy...parts may not be so easy to obtain though. Also, Mugen is supposedly coming out with a new buggy soon.
Kyosho SP-2- The "other" top of the line buggy.
These four are the most popular at local tracks and likley easy to get info/help on from other racers. Others to mention are
X-RAY XB-8- Fantastic instructions, probably the best in the buggy scene.Also comes with a great set up manual.Also a top of the line, ie expensive initial investment.
Cen Matrix- I don't know a lot about parts availability, but it seems to be a good buggy.It just isn't so popular on the local level.
Thunder Tiger S3- Also not very popular, needs a lot of work( I raced it last summer) but has great potential.
Im sure there's a few others I could mention...all in all, if you do jump into the buggy fray, as a beginner, I most highly recommend the Hyper 8 or Jammin. The least expensive initial investment and parts support is excellent everywhere.Also, for a buggy engine, I would recommend
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3245
As you can see, it is very inexpensive. Ive seen a few of these run and they are awesome for the low cash outlay. You could even get a modded one for under $250.
Monster Truck/Truggy- If you choose the MT category, then Id suggest what is considered a small block MT such as the Traxxas Revo or the Tamiya TNX. These two are pretty much dominating the SB MT classes. Basically a SB = MTs with an .18 or smaller engine.There are exceptions. Big Blocks are generally considered to be .21 or larger. Among the most popular race level are the Losi LST-2 or the Associated MGT. The HPI Savage line also deserves mention. It has great race potential...but it is best suited to bashing.IMO, stick with the SB class though. This seems to be the most popular of the MT race classes. Truggies are yet another option. First, the basic description...
MTs are generally considered to be "not designed from a buggy" and to include a transmission/two speed instead of a center differential. Truggies are primarily styled after buggies, only with wheel hub extenders or longer arms to support the larger tires. As with buggies, the have a flat style chassis with a center diff. Among the most popular at the moment are the Jammin XCR-T and the Kyosho ST-R. Also deserving mention, the Thunder Tiger ST-1. Mugen also has an option.Anyway, enough rambling...lol...good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ok, that track directory link didn't seem to work quite right.But if you look on the top of the page, you can drag on where it says Sight Features. Then click on Track Directory and enter your local info.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Tech Initiate

man thanks for the info! I'll think about the hyper 8 or I was looking at this also on the site http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4022 I don't know if that would be a trade off, probably not since it would still require quite a bit of parts but I'll put some thought into it. I would like to stay around 400$ range for it since I don't want to go all out. I might just settle for a 1/8th buggy and then see where my other interests are also. I plan on getting a TC4 touring kit maybe if I keep with RCing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.