Community
Wiki Posts
Search

getting back on the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default getting back on the track

RC cars are something I enjoyed when I was younger, and my boy is expressing interest in it. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. He's 9 years old. I think that electric 2WD makes most sense for us.

He also wants to be able to race, so all suggestions should be stock legal (please). And I really need suggestions in everything:
-Car
-Motor
-Radio
-Speed control
-Battery
-Charger

Thanks!!
Old 05-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

First advice always is to get down to your local track and check out the classes and rules - no point dropping a load of cash on a setup you won't be able to use.

As far as electric 2wd goes the Associated B4 RTR makes a lot of sense, the car is ready to compete and comes with virtually everything you need.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Go with a 2wd truck. Both Losi's and associated are good. You can buy a used one on here for a great price. Get like a gt7 esc. They are really reliable, decently priced now, and will work with better motors as he progresses. For a motor get a trinity monster stock or trinity co27. Then for the radio just get one that fits your price range.

Hope this Helps,
David
Old 05-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Heres what I would buy him.

-Team Losi MF2 (used)
-Novak GT7 or Dually (used)
-JR 590 Servo (new)
-Trinity CO27 Pro/P2k2/Monster
-Matched battery packs or stick packs (Used)
-OFNA Great Power 18 amp power supply
-Duratrax ICE

Those products I listed are great and he will have tons of fun. Also, some of the gear may seem expensive, but its better in the long run.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yup what Ben said would be perfect for your son. On the servo you could buy a JR racing xr2i radio which comes with the servo. If you have the money definately get the great planes powersupply, but if you can't afford it you'll be able to find a cheaper one. The ICE charger is a great idea too. There are tons of gp3300 batteries you can find on here which would be perfect. Another good thing about getting the truck instead of a buggy is it will be better for using in the yard.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

First off, start with a kit so that you can learn how to fix problems when you break stuff and need to repair the car. The motor, servo, and batteries should be purchased new as well. The charger, speed control, radio and reciever can be purchased used. Odds are, people at your local track can tell you the best way to do things with your x amount of $.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Everything suggested so far would be perfect for a beginner. If anything, you could go without the ICE charger and opt for the intellipeak. The only reason I say this, is because the ICE may be a little complicated for a 9 year old to use on his own.

Let's face it, the Losi XXX-T RTR is most likley the perfect choice for you and your son. Losi includes with this kit a good, reversing, Novak XRS sport speed control, a JR digital FM radio/reciever, painted body, etc... All of this plus an award winning truck design. After that, all you'll need is two good battery packs, a decent charger, and whatever the local guys run for tires at the track(the RTR does come with tires, but they are usually just good for the back-yard).

Now, if this is something that you aren't planning on purchasing right away, Losi is releasing a new RTR soon(it may already be on the store shelves). It is the same truck/radio, however, instead of a brushed motor, and XRS speed control, it will have Novak's Super Sport 4300 brushless system installed. This may be a very viable option for you and your son, if this truck is going to see more than just the one or two days of racing a week at your local track. Brushless offers a very compettitve power plant, and longer runtimes without all the added maintinece of a brushed style motor(i.e. no brushes to replace, no commutaters to cut down). So if this truck is going to be hitting the back-yard as well as the track, I would seriously look into this option as well.

I know that there are people out there that hate RTR's, but let's face it, it will get him to the track in a vehicle that can compete right out of the box, and for a reasonable price. That is all that counts in this situation.

Last edited by BuckMan; 05-28-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Oops, I missed the stock legal thing.

For my suggestion of the new Losi RTR w/Brushless(if you are interested in this option), the 4300 brushless is NOT stock legal, however, the Super sport speed control that is included, can power a standard brushed motor as well as the brushless. So with this option, you can swap motors(this does require some tricky soldering however), and be legal for sportsman or stock truck racing.