Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking motors, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Smoking motors, need help

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me with as to why my car is smoking the motors. It has a 98 tooth gear and a 21 tooth gear, 4 wheel drive, and has a electronic speed controller. For some reason the motor begins to smoke at about 2 battery packs.

I'm not sure what could be causing this, the car is easy to push with no motor and everything seems to be wired correctly. I had a cheap 21 turn motor and the original Kyosho 2400 motor and both smoked.

I literally cleaned it up, put new bearings in, and made some 7 cell (Sanyo)battery packs up just to have some fun.

Any suggestions or good links to motors?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

only run the motors for about 5 minutes at a time and then let them cool off. The hotter motors get the more resistance is created. resistance creates heat thus creating even more resistance. Keep run times to 5 minutes or so and you should be fine.