Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What oil can I use for my air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default What oil can I use for my air filter?

i don't have any "Air Filter Oi", and i have a big race tomarro. can i just use WD-40 for now, and hope that someone at the track will have the correct air filter oil?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well, you could try thick motor oil, but you should use air filter oil , because it is sticky, and will catch the dirt and junk. wd40 might not work.

and, if your lhs is closed, you could go to pepboys, or homedepo,etc. and get atv air filter oil. it will work fine.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

if you can find it...use the Losi stuff...its blue...be very careful with this stuff its hard to get off of anything...it may even stick to teflon...its good stuff...and a small bottle will last forever...

but just ask around the track...someone should have some...i usually bring mine to the track...never know when you may need it...
Old 05-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Go to a motorcycle shop and get some foam filter oil. I use Maxima FFT. One BIG bottle costs about the same as a small bottle of r/c stuff, and it's pretty much the same thing, if not better.

Traxxas filter oil is very similar to K&N filter oil, and A/E filter oil is very similar to Maxima FFT.

Another very good option is to get some No-Toil filter oil and filter cleaner. It is very easy to apply and clean, you can do it in your utility room sink with a small tupperware container or bowl. No more solvents or motor spray wasted cleaning air filters.

As far as how well they work, I'd say the blue stuff (maxima/Associated filter oil) and the No-Toil are tied for best, with the Traxxas/K&N oil coming in behind. It just doesn't dry, so it tends to run down to the lowest point on the foam element.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

use some 3 in1 oil.....dw40will just clean it
Old 05-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You can use Marvel Mystery oil, and you can get it fairly cheap at walmart, shop-ko, kmart. Works good, and you can get it about anywhere, 9-11 bucks a gallon, i think. I know guys that buy the gallon, and then use an old nail polish remover bottle as an applicator.
HTH
Rod
Old 05-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

I personally use Fantom (sp), but have used marvel with no leaks,
HTH
Rod
Old 05-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Fantom for me to
Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if you can't get the right air filter oil (associated, dark blue color) then use marvel mystery oil.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

oh, and don't ever clean air filters, throw them out when they are dirty. When you clean them, all you do is move the dirt closer to the inside of the filter and then the engine will suck that shit in, not good. I highly reccomend using prefilters, especially if the track is dusty, that way you can re-use those (clean them) and prolong the life of the main filter itself.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

throwing a filter away cause it is used is wasteful and not neccesary. best thing you can do is go to a motorcycle shop and get the maxima, but also get maxima foam filter cleaner. spray on the cleaner and let it soak for about 15min. then rinse in water (do outside as this stuff is potent) and your filter will look brand new, the oil and dirt will be removed. you will be able to purchase a large aerosol can for around 7.00. much better deal than hobby products. also imo your wasting your money on buggy cleaner, a bottle of simple green and wd40 with a little elbow grease and your car will look brand new everyweekend.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

This is why I use the Fantom, it has a special cleaner that will only clean the oil out of the filters. If you clean your filters correctly, the dirt will not move closer. The soap actually surrounds the dirt and moves the dirt out of the system, the means in which this is accomplished is due to the micelle formed by soap molecules, in which the polar heads form a circle around the long hydrocarbon tails, the inner part of this circle is fat-like, and grease and dirt rapidly move into the inner circle, the polar heads move through out the water, as they are not repulsed by the water like the tails and the grrease would be (due to polar heads and the like dissolves like learned in basic chemistry). When I clean my fiters I soak them in the cleaning solution, squeeze them out, then soak them again, and rinse, rinse teh cup and repeat. Works great, adn we run on very dusty tracks, with silt and other crap mixed in and I have not had a problem, and if you can keep silt out you can keep about anything out.
HTH
Rod
Old 05-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb

i wouldnt reccomend wd40... use motor oil or something like that..unless you cant go out and buy anything diff.

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
i don't have any "Air Filter Oi", and i have a big race tomarro. can i just use WD-40 for now, and hope that someone at the track will have the correct air filter oil?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

use 40 weight shock oil

or atv/ motocycle aifilter oil

or just ask around the track
Old 05-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Addict

here.......it's the same stuff that most everybody else sells (for more). it's super sticky and collects dust and dirt really well. one of these little bottles will last you fooooooorever. clean out your old filter(s) with motor spray (brake clean works just as well, if not better)...then lube up the clean filter (after the filter is dry of all the motor spray) with air filter oil. a little goes a long way....just sqooush (is that a word?) a little bit on the filter and squeeze it all around to get the oil soaked into the whole filter.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN2502

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.