Community
Wiki Posts
Search

noob question about bodies

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default noob question about bodies

I'm about to buy my first car in eons. I want a truck, something I can bash around the backyard and up and down curbs with, as well as have some fun at the local track. I've decided to stay with 1/10, since I'm familiar with it and I like the 20-30mph range. I started out with a Tamiya Hornet back when they were new, and played with an old Audi Quattro back when they were the coolest new thing around. I had an rc10t at one point, as well as a 10l, which have been lost over the years to friends. /me kicks himself

So, that's got nothing to do with my question, I'm just providing a bit of background. Why? Beats the hell out of me.

Anyway, what's a good way to find bodies these days? I almost picked up the mini-lst because of the incredible VW Beetle body that's floating around all the magazines right now, but I don't think that an 18 with the 370 motors will be enough.

I can't search Google for xxx-t bodies (I want to pick up a xxx-t sport, it seems like a great entry into modern tech, with the brushlessness and the good price point), because I get crap for results. I can't seem to find any info on how the bodies fit different models -- are they kind of generic and adaptable now? Do you just cut the post holes and wheel wells where necessary?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DemRaketemensch
Old 05-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

most aftermarket body manufactures make model specific bodies these days.....not like the old days when they made a generic style body that would fit just about anything and everything.....such as dahm's, macallister or parma used to do. some of the top aftermarket body companys these days are one's like pro-line or jconcepts. they both make there styled version of bodies for the xxx-t. i'm sure that there are more, but those two come to mind off the top of my head. good luck.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Yes, besides the factory Losi bodies for the XXXT, JConcepts Illusion and Proline Crowd Pleaser are the only true direct fits out there that I can think of that look decent.

However, like anything else in any hobby (and like the old days), if you want a different body to fit your truck, all it takes is a little creativity and ingenuity. You should be able to mount ANYTHING on a truck chassis. There are photos around of someone with an HPI Lotus Elise body on a stadium truck chassis. Nothing is impossible.

Weclome back. I was where you are not too long ago.

doug
Old 05-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Whoa, the Elise is one of my favorite cars.

I really want a Beetle, I'm sure I can find one with the right wheelbase. It's not like modifying mounting posts is really all that difficult, I'll find a way to do it.

Thanks, folks.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

i got a car body on my savage....u can fit practically anything on nything aslong as its the same scale and its not a 1/8 buggy lol......try www.proline-racing.com
Old 05-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Raketemensch
Whoa, the Elise is one of my favorite cars.

I really want a Beetle, I'm sure I can find one with the right wheelbase. It's not like modifying mounting posts is really all that difficult, I'll find a way to do it.

Thanks, folks.

is this what your looking for?

i found this on ebay. it's a parma beetle body. i don't think parma makes it anymore. however, check ebay. i found this one, there might be more....or if this one doesn't sell, the seller might relist it, who knows. or you could make an after listing offer.

there were also a bunch of abs hard plastic beetle bodies you might be interested in (in white or with different colors)....along with a seller that makes an old style beetle body that comes in either abs or lexan.

if you want a new style beetle body, hpi makes one.....and their bodies are high quality.

here's the link to the parma body on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parma-PSE-VW-Bee...QQcmdZViewItem

Attached Thumbnails noob question about bodies-par10340_2.jpg  
Old 05-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys.... I was wondering if it was possible to fit a normal car body, like the ones on on-road cars, to an off-road??
Old 05-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by masteR
Hey guys.... I was wondering if it was possible to fit a normal car body, like the ones on on-road cars, to an off-road??
yes u can