Search

Truggy vs buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up Truggy vs buggy?

Dear RC Offroaders,

I'm planning to get my first nitro off road and have been addicted to RC for a lot of years.
The main experience I have is on 1:10-th electric on road.

Currently, I'm about to get an 1:8 off roader and would like to choose between the Kyosho MP777 and the HPI HellFire.

I need your opinions in order to make the right choice on the following:

The RC Off Road community is still growing in my neighbourhood.
In this case, there is a mixture of usage between buggies and truggies.

If buggies and truggies are allowed to race in one class, which one would make a faster laptime (assuming that they have the same engine)?
Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks a lot for providing your feedback.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

The buggy is faster but the truggy is way more fun on a track. Go with the jammin x1crt truggy one of the best out there right now wins all the races.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I race buggies and have only driven others arena trucks or truggies. I think the arena trucks are just a ball to run. It's like running a powerful cadillac with suspension that just soaks up everything. And they are so un-twitchy it's unreal.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Mister-E I think it depends on the track being raced. I know some pro Ofna & kyosho drivers that run faster lap times in their truggies on certin tracks. Even running on tracks that are a little smoother laptimes are pretty much the same with the buggies having a slight advantage. On a real rough track I think the truggies have the advantage.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would go for the truggy. I currently have a completely upgraded mammoth st. I have so many mods its unreal. Truggies are great to run, and my experience is harder to break than buggies. If I were choosing though i would not get a hellfire, the x1-crt is a rly good choice, but my mammoth st is awesome(not for everyone though). I am itching to see a 777str in action, but if I were you I would definately go fo for the jammin.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Jammin all the way, the hellfire rtr is not even close to a jammin X1 CRT. The rtr X1 CRT is a much better choice if your looking for a rtr. The X1 CRT is an even better choice if your looking for an all out racer. Very easy to set up, drives awesome, and does not break. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

my list goes like this
1 jammin crt
2 koyosho
3 mugen
4 XTM mammoth ST ( the new prokit is hot and I expect to see it do well all the bugs are pretty much worked out on it)
5 Hotbodies

I have seen the hellfire run at our local track maybe its just the driver or set up but it doesnt seem to handle as well as the above.

my .02
Old 05-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I have owned three truggies, I started with a Mammoth ST then I got a Jammin CRT and currently I have a Kyosho Inferno ST-R. So from experiance I can tell you that the Kyosho is far better than the others with the Jammin a close second. If money isn't an issue then get Kyosho but if you are on a budget then go with the Jammin. Currently I wouldn't buy anything other than those two.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In another 4-6 weeks you'll be able to buy the new Mugen MBX5T as well. This is Mugen's own long arm truggy but still based on the MBX5. The MBX5 and current MSR X5T's are super durable and have won many national and world titles. The current truck has short arms with wheel extenders but the factory Mugen drivers are just as fast as the factory Pro's running the CRT and ST-R trucks with longer arms. I can't wait to see how the new Mugen truck does in the hands of their factory team. The truggy class is already exploding and this summer is going to be awesome with the MBX5T's, CRT's, ST-R's, ST-1's, LSP's, Hellfires and new CEN truggy coming out.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the amount of valuable feedback guys.
They will definitely give me more headache to choose from.

Because of the environment which is quite sandy (here in the gulf region), I think that I would go for the truggy then.
Because of the larger width of the tire used, I think that truggies will perform better on those sandy tracks (still taking the laptimes into my consideration), when compared with the buggy.
Please correct me when I'm wrong here.

I've been thinking of either the Jammin X1CRT or the Kyosho Inferno ST-R

What are your opinion when you are taking the ease of maintenance/tuning into consideration?