Wiki Posts
Search

Which Car/Truck to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Which Car/Truck to buy?

Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase an offroad car or truck in the next couple of weeks. I havent raced in many years, so I'm not real up to date here. My question to you is this:

What do you think would be my best bet for around 250.00 I might race this, but mainly for just playing around. I also am very fond of the EDM conversions. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Old 04-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For $250, there are limited choices. If you want something you can bash around as well as race, I recommend a nitro monster truck. There are quite a few nice ones out there that are raceable out of the box, but they will cost you $350 to $500. $250 might get you a decent electric RTR, Team Losi and Team Associated make the best, but they are 1/10th scale and tend to be a little less able to handle back yard bashing... you have to have a track to have much fun with one. Even used you'll be looking at $350 at least to get something ready to go.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Do you want electric or nitro?

I will admit that if you can tune an engine, being able to just keep going and going with a nitro vehicle, via refueling is nice. That engine tuning is the only issue I have.

I would say for simplicity, electric is pretty easy to do. Most bashers start with a stadium truck. I personally like buggies better but a stadium truck is more go anywhere.

I would recommend either a T4 or a XXX-T . Losi and AE both have good RTRs, with the losi having better electronics but the T4 RTR is more similar to the race level vehicle if I remember correctly (there are some changes on the MF2 that I don't believe can be found on the XXX-T).

If you do plan to race eventually, visit the track and see what class is really popular for newbies. I would then see if the vehicles for that class interest me and go from there.

One big thing to remember with electric, get a good charger at a minimum.

Have fun!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you feal that your rc knowledge is enough that you know how to rebuild a car then find one used. You can get one for so much cheaper used then new. Just make sure you get something that can have the slop and problems fixed for a minimal price. xxx-nt are great cars for bashing or racing that you can find for under $100 as rollers. If you want to go to electric then do this.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYW8&P=0 $80
then find a cheap esc, under $40.
then a pistol grip am radio w/ one servo and end point adjust ment. $60
Then get a stock motor such as a p2k. $30
You have now spent $210 and have everything you need as far as a car is concerned. The parts have a one year warranty. Now, you get your $30 rebate.
Go and get a http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVN1&P=0 $45
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCUH3&P=ML $33

This should put you right out at around $250 for everything. If you are planning on racing then order two more batteries. You will also need to pick up acrylic paint at your lhs.
There is also a stadium truck version of the buggy as well. The are re released xx crs and xx ts. They are good competitive cars that are cheap.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default look at this one

look at this brand new one at used price. maybe your racer friend could tell you what it is. easy find parts any where. the model number is RXL121 at RcCarMax.com

this is buggy manufactured seriously. goodluck