Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

2wd buggy - cornering spinning out

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My buggy always feels slidy on fuzzbites especially after 2-3 races. Simply put my car is not set up for fuzzbites. A spikier tire liked nessi or siren helped a lot tame the rear end. Only had some slight problems with slow cornering catching too much. More speed helps rotate the rear.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd start with rebuilding your shocks and diff. Over time they leak or the the oil breaks down. The oil goes in clear and as it gets dirty it doesn't work the same. Or the diff will just leak it out and some times the shocks do as well.

Freshen those up, and make sure all the suspension moves freely with the shocks off.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:43 PM
Tech Rookie

wow
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It can be shocks, roll bars, droop, kick-up or a combination. Is the rear coming up from braking, from roll, or both?

Some things you can try:
  • Reduce front kick-up so the car dives less off power and under braking. When the car dives the rear comes up and loses traction.
  • Increase rear droop so the rear can stay in contact when it dives and rolls. Droop is often overlooked, losing the rear on corner entry can be a sign of too little droop.
  • If it's happening from roll, add a thicker roll bar to the front or a thinner on the rear. If the front rolls more than the rear can handle the rear inside will come up. Increased rear droop can help this too.
  • Increase front spring rate so the front rolls less keeping the rear down. Don't do this just for cornering.
  • Increase front dampening so it rolls slower, which may only delay the spin, or might give you just enough time to avoid it. Don't do this just for cornering either.
Start with the first three.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This goes along the lines of a rebuild, but one really annoying thing that you can check is to see if the diff outdrives are notched from the dogbone pins. If they are, and I have seen it several times on AEs, it will tend to lock up the suspension when you get on power which can do all sorts of nasty things. Just saw this on my buddies SCT.
40mphallday likes this.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrkab
It can be shocks, roll bars, droop, kick-up or a combination. Is the rear coming up from braking, from roll, or both?

Some things you can try:
  • Reduce front kick-up so the car dives less off power and under braking. When the car dives the rear comes up and loses traction.
  • Increase rear droop so the rear can stay in contact when it dives and rolls. Droop is often overlooked, losing the rear on corner entry can be a sign of too little droop.
  • If it's happening from roll, add a thicker roll bar to the front or a thinner on the rear. If the front rolls more than the rear can handle the rear inside will come up. Increased rear droop can help this too.
  • Increase front spring rate so the front rolls less keeping the rear down. Don't do this just for cornering.
  • Increase front dampening so it rolls slower, which may only delay the spin, or might give you just enough time to avoid it. Don't do this just for cornering either.
Start with the first three.
Wouldn't more rear droop cause more weight to shift to the front end thus causing the rear to come around due to the loss of traction? A guy at my track was having the same problem, it came down to him having a ton of rear droop causing too much weight transfer to the front which caused the rear end to break loose entering corners.

Note to OP, make sure you only change one thing at a time.
Old 11-13-2023, 03:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EricW
Wouldn't more rear droop cause more weight to shift to the front end thus causing the rear to come around due to the loss of traction? A guy at my track was having the same problem, it came down to him having a ton of rear droop causing too much weight transfer to the front which caused the rear end to break loose entering corners.

Note to OP, make sure you only change one thing at a time.
Yes it will roll more. If it's already rolling too much it will make it worse. If it's losing contact due to bumps/terrain it should make it better. In either case it should be noticable so if more rear droop makes it worse then try the opposite.

In Invisible Speed JQ basically advises starting with too much droop and reducing it until you stop getting faster. So I start by making sure more droop won't improve things.

Thank you for pointing it out it deserves explanation.
RogerM likes this.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kufman
This goes along the lines of a rebuild, but one really annoying thing that you can check is to see if the diff outdrives are notched from the dogbone pins. If they are, and I have seen it several times on AEs, it will tend to lock up the suspension when you get on power which can do all sorts of nasty things. Just saw this on my buddies SCT.
Thanks for all the replies on this thread guys! I think Mr Kufman here provided the advice that I was looking for! I tore this car apart from the ground up and didn't see anything too crazy or out of the ordinary. However, the outdrives were pretty pitted from the driveshaft pins. I rebuilt the diff with new outdrives and the car seems much more drivable now! It was honestly pretty shocking how big of an impact pitted outdrives made on the car.
So thanks again to everyone and especially Kufman for the advice
kufman, staiguy and mrkab like this.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 40mphallday
Thanks for all the replies on this thread guys! I think Mr Kufman here provided the advice that I was looking for! I tore this car apart from the ground up and didn't see anything too crazy or out of the ordinary. However, the outdrives were pretty pitted from the driveshaft pins. I rebuilt the diff with new outdrives and the car seems much more drivable now! It was honestly pretty shocking how big of an impact pitted outdrives made on the car.
That's awesome. Tiny changes can make a huge difference.
40mphallday and ThisIsRDG like this.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glad you got it sorted out! And if those are in bad shape, look at the axles, the CVD joint out at the hub can wear, and make sure the bearings spin freely and arent gritty. All those will make a big difference, as you have seen.

Thats why its best to post a couple pics. Hard to guess everything over the internet. But a local got you sorted out, which is great.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

guess I’m adding outdrives on my shopping list! I’ve been pushing this off but if it’s making this much of a difference I’ll just have to add in to my maintenance schedule. Thanks for the feedback
Old 11-21-2023, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the follow up!

Properly tuning the diff makes a MASSIVE difference in how the car handles. You can change your shocks a dozen times, and the car will never feel right. Rebuild your diff, set it right, and magically, the car starts to perform as intended. Its crazy how much of the cars turning and overall traction is solely because of the differential functioning properly.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
Thanks for the follow up!

Properly tuning the diff makes a MASSIVE difference in how the car handles. You can change your shocks a dozen times, and the car will never feel right. Rebuild your diff, set it right, and magically, the car starts to perform as intended. Its crazy how much of the cars turning and overall traction is solely because of the differential functioning properly.
I agree 110%. That is why I got one of these. https://www.associatedelectrics.com/..._diff_decoder/

I used to laugh at tools like this but when it comes to rebuilding your ride and you liked how your car worked before, this type of tool is very helpful.
BigBuckORamma likes this.