Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX-5 Or Kyosho Inferno SP2

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default MBX-5 Or Kyosho Inferno SP2

What is the best chassis kit. I have never done any 8th scale offroad racing before, only 10th scale electric 4WD buggy. What is the best Motor i can legally put in it. I was thinking O.S. 21. VZ. Price is no issue at this point but I need everything. Except a radio. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I recommend the Mugen MBX 5 Prospec, but that's because I have one.
Honestly, though, I recently went through the same issues. I had run 1/8th scale before, but not on this level. I chose the MBX5 because it has remained relatively unchanged for two years and comes equipped with everything you need as far as upgrades. The Kyosho sp.2 is the third virsion of that car in like 9 months. I don't want to buy something that is outdated in so short a time.
The mugen is dialed and probably hands-down the fastest car out. Sure, pro's win with the other cars, but the guys who pay for their stuff buy the Mugen.

Engine wise I recommend looking at Novarossi's selection of engines. They are all good, and if you get the one that matches your track layout, you'll rip up the competition. O.S.'s are good, like the V-spec, but it has some longevity problems in the crank bearings. Make sure you get a buggy engine, though. Although road engines boast a higher horsepower rating, it is at an RPM range that a buggy can't utilize effectively. check out www.caralinasrc.com for specs on their engines and recommended track usage.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

I had a Jammin and did very well with it. (I had a few shock seal problems though) but the new shocks are better.
I now have the Kyosho 777sp2. They are both
QUALITY kits. The Kyosho did win the Shoot out
against 5 great cars in the Extreme RC car mag.
including the Jammin. edit*and the Mugen quote "On this day it is
the Kyosho that we thought would lead to the
most trophies on the shelf".
I also have seen and raced against some of the
Kyosho cars run at our local tracks and at certain moments
said to myself ....Man I dont know what the hell to do to my Jammin
to make it go THAT fast! So I jumped ship and bought a Kyosho
and only time will tell. I have toasted many "MBX-5s" with both though.
And most racers at the tracks I race at shell out cash for their rides
and Im sorry to say that maybe I see 2-3 Pro specs the rest are Kyosho
Xray and Jammin. (lots of various Ofnas)And almost every week a Kosho is the fastest car on the track. So hands down Mugen is not the fastest car.

Derrek

Last edited by Drock; 04-20-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

I drove both and they each have their strong points. I have to say the Pro Spec because its ready to race out of the box and i like the forgiving feel. The Kyosho has weak spindles and chassis braces.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

All mugens where I race seems like. They look like they handle great. I'm still running a K3 for now. I'd prolly go prospec myself just b/c they are more common around here and parts easier to get.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

I think the bottom line is which buggy is most apealing to the person buying.
I test drove a mugen and really liked the way it felt compaired to my Jammin RTR. I am sure if I got the Jammin pro kit it would be a great buggy.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

From what I've seen, they're both great cars...the thing is that the Prospec can be raced right out of the box...the Kyosho needs a few more things, durability-wise (braces, mounts, etc.).

I have two friends who just bought both (one each) last week...first trip to the track last night. Kyosho was broken in <5 minutes (front diff was chewed and something loose or broken in the suspension), the Mugen was perfect all night.

Your mileage may vary...but the Mugen is a tough buggy for sure.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you buy Mugen I would hold off a little bit. They are due for a new kit soon and tend to stick with their kits a while; however, Kyosho will prbably keep on upgrading the 777 in evolutions. You cannot go wrong with either.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Also depends if you know how to properly build a buggy as well. My sp2 i just got racers edge chassis braces and a k factory motor mount. i'v beat the hell out of that thing and it still runs strong... i just took the front and center diff appart last night to put new fluid in and there was not a drop missing since assembly...