Wiki Posts
Search

what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 05:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default what to buy

howdy all..

ive got a couple of electric cars but would now like to nitro. But im not sure where to start. Im after an offraoad 4wd, something i can bash around and that can take a beating. Looking at spending $5-600ish (australian) not including radio gear. Im not iterested in racing just yet..

without starting a brand war, could i have some pointers in to what to look for and waht to look out for when deciding what i should buy.

TIA.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Youve got a ton of options if you want 4WD offroad.

The first thing that comes to mind is the good old T-Maxx. I think it would fall into your price rang pretty well.

Then theres other like the new HPI Savage, Ofna Dominator, Pirate, and Titan. Tamiya Terra Crusher. Comming soon is the Associated Monster GT.

If you don't want something quite as big as a monster truck, there is the HPI Nitro MT. It is about stadium truck size with 4WD.

Then there are the 1/8 scale 4WD buggies. There are so many it is too hard to list.

All these are great trucks, but if i were you, i would get the
T-Maxx. Its got the new 2.5 engine in it so its pretty darn fast. I also know its very durable and will take a very big beating. After all, it was designed for people like you who want to bash things around.

Good luck
Old 11-24-2002, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Well I guess we would have to ask 1st.What kind of 4wd?Truck or a 1/8th scale buggy.Find out what has the best parts support around you and go from there.You would hate to buy a car and have to order parts everytime.I am thinking Ofna may be pretty big down there.I know a company called Diablo was down there but it's been a couple of years since I was down under.If your looking at trucks.Simply the Traxxas T-maxx.Best parts support in the world and the Best truck out PERIOD.Hope this helps.But again local parts support is what brand I would be looking at.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:51 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys... i walked into a hobby store and they had the dominator and the guy did mention the terra crusher which looks pretty cool... but he couldnt comment on how "durable" it would be...

i think i would prefer a truck over a buggy... they look meaner (imho)

just looked at the t-maxx.. not bad... and the savage looks okay too. not sure what support these have down here tho.. need to investigate more i guess.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:51 PM
Tech Rookie

In my personal opinion, I would highly recommend the HPI Nitro MT as it was my second R/C and my first Nitro and it has been absolutely amazing to me. (check out my site for pics of my truck) If you definitely want to go with a monster truck, i'd recommend the savage over the TMAXX, not only cause HPI is just amazing and the Savage is a bit faster, but it's more toughly and ruggedly made and constructed. plus, the tmaxx wheels, tires, and bodies fit the Savage....so.... yea.

I wouldn't recommend the OFNA Dominator, Titan, or the Pirate tho... i mean, they're great trucks and all, and OFNA's an amazing company, but those three are basically buggies with longer suspension arms, shocks, and bigger wheels. you'd be better off with a true monster truck like the TMAXX or the Savage

just my 2 cents.
Brian

=J
Old 12-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd say get a Dominator they are tough fast and area great for racin and all round use. Buggy based??.. well yes but buggies are the most durable and tough Nitro Rc's out there so that durability would help more than hurt and with the Dom you get just a great all round package imo.

I'm going to have to say no to the Nitro MT.. I had one and it would throw dog bones, break arms, and shock towers every time anybody even looked at it funny and that was just driving around in the yard. You'd be better off getting a Losi XXXNT or RC10 GT if you wanted a stadium truck.

As for the savage my neighbor has one and his son has a new 2.5 maxx. The savage is a good truck and is quicker in aceleration then the 2.5 maxx but the 2.5 maxx kills it in top speed. Handling is close to the same on both the savage is better at keeping its tires planted on hard turns though. Thus far his son has only broke the front skid on his 2.5 and the father has bent the chassis, broke the front steering knuckles, and had tranny problems because HPI did not use lock tight on the 2 speed set screw. hehe.. I can whack them both wiht my maxx.. but I've had mine for years and its a bit extreme at this point.

Bottom line.. If I personally was to buy a new all round truck now just to run reliably.. I'd go with the Dominator . the ultimate to me would be a hybrid (Maxx/buggy based) truck using a JT chassis and some Supermaxx parts here and there. I'd check parts availability locally before you buy anything.

John
Old 12-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Tech Rookie

MMMMMMMMMMM which do u ppl think is better? t-maxx or savage overall? cuz i sirously can't decide (hehehhe i started a war)....
Old 12-24-2002, 01:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

i think t-maxx is better than savage becuase they have been out longer and already revised once and if you seen the new one run it has incredible speed almost hard to get it to stop doing wheelies on concrete i also had one once and it was pretty durable

but i think 1/8 buggies are the coolest thing ever i have a mbx4xr and it nearly never gets broken and it is fast and handles well definetely my favorite and ive had quite a few different vehicles in the past couple years