Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schulze U-Force 75, What motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Schulze U-Force 75, What motor?

What would a good motor be to use with the Schulze? I have a 4.5R Novak and would like something at least as good. Is it possible to run the Schulze with the novak motor, sensorless, and get good results?

What amp draw is the 4.5 motor or a typical Schulze/motor combo amp draw? I guess what I am asking is will the schulze be enough to drive a low turn brushless and get at least the same or better power than the 4.5R motor?

Does anyone have any information on the 4.5R motors as far as V/rev and peak/sustained current?

What would be a good motor to compliment the Schulze: lehner, plettenburg, etc.?

I am using this in a 4wd buggy but will probably want to use the system in something bigger down the road.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default good motor combo

hiya Rocksalt!

the Schulze line of brushless ESCs work best with sensorless motors.
the motors you listed are all sensored motors ( there is an additional cable leading to the motor)
you can try motors from LMT or Cyclone.
i have personally used the LMT 3100 and 4200 and there are fabulous!
if you need more oomph, you can also try the 5300, but some say its really a case of overkill.... i say, gear it right and watch it zip.
then again, the esc also works with sensored motors, just dunt install the sensors.
should work fine.
-alexander
Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have never had good luck running the u-force with novak motors. My best results are with Plettenberg and Lehner motors. For my sedan I run the Plettenberg Shadow and in my offroad stuff I run a lehner basic 4200. The u-force / Pletty combo is very fast and very powerful. The u-force likes having a small fan when driving the shadow.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I second that!

The Schulze/Plettenburg setup is your best bet.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for the comments. So far I am settled on the Schulze 75 with the XL5000 lehner. The only thing that doesn't look right is the amp draw with this motor vs. the 75/100 amp rating of the speedy. I see a member 'exe' is using this combo. Not that's it's right, just need more info.

I didn't see many places to buy the plett 4 pole motor. Do you have a current link?

I was reading some comparisons on the 4.5R motor in relation to brushed motors. Is this motor faster/more powerfull than the motor I suggested above? I had the 4.5 for only a short while and the ESC fried. I really liked the setup but I cannot keep something that does not work, lol. I need somthing with a reputation for working. I might have just gotten a bad one, who knows. The motor did scream! Top end could have been more, but it had all kinds of control and punch.

If the 4.5R is faster than the XL5000 then I will need something MORE, lol...

Any help appreciated!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

The Lehner XL series is a little bit big for 1/10th stuff. They are better suited to monster trucks and boats. The lehner 5300 would be fast, or a Feigao 380C motor. You can get the Feigao stuff from www.starluckrc.com The 380C-7t would probably be a good choice. You can e-mail the owner of Starluck and see if he has any Plettenberg motors still. They tend to be expensive where as the Feigao's are very cheap. The Shadow would be rough on a U-force 75 without extra cooling of some sort. You aren't the first person that I have heard of having troubles with the novak 4.5. Several others on the radiocontrolzone board have had the same problem.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

What is the same power/speed as the 4.5R in the other motors? Will the schulze handle it?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Hard to say what the 4.5 is comparable to. Novak's specs don't line up well with other companies numbers. For example, the novak 5800 can get eaten alive by a lehner 4200.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Initiate

This is what is making the new motor decision more difficult! If the 4.5R is drawing more than 100 amps then the schulze might not be the right controller for a low turn motor in the 4-5 turn variety(u-force 75). I really like the GTB and the 4.5R. It's one mean motor. This system seems to lack the ability to add more voltage. This means I would need a motor that will have a higher RPM/volt to have high speed. This also means that the power curve will move up, not a good thing. I feel limited with the novak as far as top speed. With it's heating problems it might not be something for me. I live in Texas and the temps are constantly 90+, another bad thing for the GTB. I will still keep the GTB, for racing, but I need something that can handle high amps, and be reliable. The Schulze caught my eye with the great feedback, more motor selection, user adjustable parameters in software. Sure the price is high.... but it's a one time purchase to 'cut tot he chase'.

I love to run 4wd. I don't think the 4.5R would be any good in a 2wd off-road application. I think it would just spin out. With the losi I have it in it pulls straight due to the front wheel drive. I have no problems with handling.

I don't want to purchase a ton of motors to get the speed and torque of the 4.5R. hoping someone will come along with some comparisons between the 4.5 , in sedan, compared to some lehher or Feigao. This will greatly help the decision making process. Then again... if I can find some specs on the 4.5R as far as RPM/V and wattage, I can make a good guestimation on motor choice.

I have not given up on Novak. They are a good company, trying to compete with others. With the help and complaints of others using their products they will only improve them!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Ordered the pletty shadow and the uforce. Should get it today. Any tips on settings for the uforce and this motor? I bought the pc cable as well. I need to buy a good carpet racer to go with it. Are most carpet cars these days 4wd? What's out there that is rock solid as well as easy to get parts for?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

would like to hkow if a reedy neo star 3 motor can work the speed schulze u-force 75???

thx for your answers
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try the Trinity Brushless!