Wiki Posts
Search

Short Course Steelie Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Short Course Steelie Wheels

A few years ago I designed some "steelie" type short course wheels with high hopes of having a batch injection molded. I have designs for 0 offset and Slash 4x4 offset. I got as far has having a couple prototypes 3D printed. I've tried to get quotes for injection molding but they tell me that the file format the wheels are in is only for 3D printing. I'd have to have them totally redone for hundreds of dollars. Anyway, I thought I'd post some pictures. I think they look particularly good with the FJ body. They'd look even better if they were white or black.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

As someone that build injection molds for a living, having a mold made to produce one wheel is going to cost a minimum of $10-15,000.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've heard similar quotes. I'd have to sell a lot of wheels to make up the mold cost and I doubt there's a market for it. Still, I like the idea.