Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing Off-road Electric Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Purchasing Off-road Electric Recommendations

Can anyone give me input on what I should do here...
If you haven't read my post in the Electric Onroad area then allow me to explain: I'm new to R/C, Don't even own a car.

But what I've gathered from my post in the Onroad forum is that I think what I'm looking for is something I can have some fun with out front of my house in the street and driveway and such. We have some curbs and stuff out front and I'd like to just be able to jump them and be a little crazy with it. Also my price range is from 150 to 200 dollars starting out. Someone recommended the Team Associated Factory Team RC18T Mini 4wd Electric Truck ( http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2949 ).

I would like it to be decently fast on the street and strong enough to take some cool ramps I may build to have placed in my yard.
Oh and I'm not necessarily interested in RTR, I'm definately looking to build it myself so I can get familiar with the vehicle and such. Have no clue how to build it so the directions have to be kind of easy for me.

Oh and I also want to be able to get some sort of Chevy Silverado body style :-P hehe

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by tree95z; 02-16-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

i dont think they make a silverado body for the 18t. also you will need to buy all your electronics if you buy the Factory Team version
Old 02-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Proline makes a silverado for the Team Losi Mini-T but it doesn't have the flatbed look you're probably thinking of.

Also, most rigs at that price range are RTR unfortunately.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sim600
Proline makes a silverado for the Team Losi Mini-T but it doesn't have the flatbed look you're probably thinking of.

Also, most rigs at that price range are RTR unfortunately.
I'm thinking RTR for my first car now that I start to think about it.

I'm wanting a mini r/t or a buggy style.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Hey your probably not considering this but the traxxas rustler is an awesome car and it is really fast rtr it can take jumps and its awesome on the street
Old 02-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The duratrax evader or the traxxas rustler are both great choices. Try to save some room in your budgett so you can purchase more then a battery pack or two, or perhaps pick up a cheap nimh charger and 3 a few nimh packs.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Initiate

What's the diff between mih? and nimh ? I mean is nimh the best kind of battery? longer run time? sorry...i'm stupid
Old 02-20-2006, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

mih? I think there's no kind of battery like that.But here's Ni-mH. This is the type of battery usually used in electric rc's today. The older type is the Ni-Cad. This isn't very popular now because its max capacity is only 2400mah. There's a new type of battery which is Li-Po. It can have a capacity as high as 6000mah. . But it's not yet implemented in official races and etc. I hope this helps
Old 02-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default another option

You might also want to take a look at the XTM X-Cellerator, its usually under $ 175.00, its RTR and just needs batteries and a charger.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by csdspeed
mih? I think there's no kind of battery like that.But here's Ni-mH. This is the type of battery usually used in electric rc's today. The older type is the Ni-Cad. This isn't very popular now because its max capacity is only 2400mah. There's a new type of battery which is Li-Po. It can have a capacity as high as 6000mah. . But it's not yet implemented in official races and etc. I hope this helps
I actually meant mAh. But now I know that didn't make sense.

So the higher the mAh the longer the car can run without being charged or what?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

in you're price range you might want to think about something used. with all the new versions of race trucks/buggies coming out you can get a deal on the prior version. a losi xxx-t matt francis 1 or xxx buggy for example. they don't do great in grass but they jump curbs and ramps pretty good, especially the truck. they are still new enough to have plenty of parts support still. you can get one for 100.00 to 150.00 if you find a decent used radio for 50.00 to 75.00 you would be close. used batts from 10.00 to 30.00 and a motor 10 to 15. 250.00 total. i have a rc18t. it is a fun truck but jumping ramps and curbs are a lot more fun with a 1/10 truck imo.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:12 AM
mav
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default T4 and MF2 trucks

hi,

does anyone know if the parts are inter-useable, esp the arms and shock towers? eg. does the arms of the AE fit the Losi truck etc?

Curious, cos both trucks looked very similar in the manuals.

mav