R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Best 1/18th racer

hey looking for something small for my girlfriend that i cant justify speding cash on. so im buying her a "car". any ideas on the best chassis? i like the rc18b and mini inferno but the 18b isnt very adjustable and the mini inferno has bad electronics and not sure if it can fit lipo batteries.
so far upgrades may include mamba 25 8kv and some kokam 1500mah 2 cell lipo and general titnanium ceramic diff balls maybe ceramic ball bearings.
no im not rich this is a long term project say 12 months probably more.
any opinions on best set ups?
thanks all
Josh P
to make Keith happy
Corally phi
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i've had the mini inferno, and have an 18b, i like the 18b alot more, it seems to handle better, since its a little smaller and lighter, it runs a touch faster, i find it easier to work on, and the biggest thing for me, is its alot easier to get assoicated parts in my area, plus you can get the FT kit, and put all your own good electronics in it, rather than get stuck with the junk stuff,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

RC18B, break something and it takes about 2 minutes to fix. Def the 18B
Team EMB
AZRCaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Tech Regular

The best 1/16 or 1/18 4wd. for the money would be the Duratrax Vendetta. Comes with every thing needed, even transmitter batteries. Pull it out of the box and go! Parts are also fairly cheap and very durable it also comes with a standard size steering servo. I put a Mamba Comp. X brushless with a 2 cell Lipo and burrned the tires off in five minutes in front of my house, its extremely fast on the street. Every thing together was well worth the little amount of money it took to go super fast and cause my friends jaws to drop. This is my experience and opinion of some thing well satisfying for the money, and mind blowing speed.

Last edited by jake alton; 04-12-2006 at 01:36 PM.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Tech Regular

hey bob what did you run both cars on, cause usually larger and heavier handles the dirt better and smaller and lighter is better on pavenment, just curious cause i have been looking into getting the half8 or rc18b and its hard to find many comparisons. i plan on going brushless and it sounds like you have as well.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i had the mamba competition (6800 i think) in the half 8, with a 8 cell matched set of trinity batteries, and i got aboslutly smoked by a rc18t running the sport mamba at the one real race i got to run with it, part of my probelm was gearing, but the biggest probelm i had, was since the plastic was so flexable, something in the drivetrain would lock up over our tracks one bigger jump, i never did find out what it was, but this was also one of the very first cars out too, and i've heard the plastic is a little different on the new cars, so that problem might be fixed now, i also had troubles with the slipper staying tight, but again that probally goes back to my gearing,

in my 18b i've got the sport mamba in it, and matched orion gp 1200 6 cell pack in it, and it works alot better than i had the half 8 running, and i just used the stock gearing for it too, i'm sure if i would have spent the time to play with the gearing on the half 8 it would have been alot better, but i never got around to doing it, since i only run the micros for fun, i didn't want to spend much time fooling around with it, i just wanted to run it, so i have more time to focus on the set up of my 8th scale,

the other thing i didn't like about the half 8, was i had to buy hop ups for it to get it to work the way i wanted it to, the first thing i had to get was oil filled shocks, and then after i had all the suspension flex i got aluminum towers, arms, and hubs/knuckles, the car also really needed bearings, but i never got them before i sold the car,

on the 18b, it coems with oil shocks, and the rest of the suspension works good, and it comes with full bearings as well, i've since upgraded the 18b to basically a FT kit, with cvds, threaded shocks, and lunsford turnbuckles and hinge pins, and a coupel other things, and i'm very happy with the car, but i dont think the extra stuff is neccesary at all, it just looks pretty thats all, on the half 8 i bougth the hop ups because i needed them

the other thing i've noticed is its alot easier to work on the 18b, i found anything i had to do on the half 8, i always had to tear half the car apart to get at what i wanted, the 18b has a much better layout IMO, more of a tradtitional electric car layout i guess,

i havn't been able to really test the durability of the 18b yet thgouh, i got it when it first came out, which was jsut before it started snowing here, i've bombed around with it in my house thgouh, and nailed the dinning room chairs, and the walls and stuff and havn't broke anything, but havn't been able to race it yet, that was one thing good i could say about the half 8, i never broke a part on it, just had stuff lock up from all the flex,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote