Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by runnin rc10
I like the shocks. Do they look shorter to anyone?
yep they look too short and unnecessarily large in diameter
Old 04-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

they do look short, but so are the shock towers
Old 04-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Shorter shocks keep weight lower and reduce the need for huge shock towers. The shocks LOOK shorter to boot because they're bigger in diameter..the more oil the shock holds, the more consistent it will be from run to run and from the beginning of your main until the end. Big shocks are a very good thing.

speedy2 - I don't think the rear end looks any less protected than many of the other cars on the market. Undoubtedly, rear toe-in will be adjustable.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Hey Mr. Waldron

Would pretty nice to make the center drive shafts alum. dog bones like on the Hyper 8. Reduces rotating mass. Combine that with your bearing pins (of BK fame) and you would have a very free drive train.

Drill the center drive cups to accomidate a taper spring to help keep the dog bones centered.

Any chance of seeing LCD tricknology in the front of the Eight?????

Sorry, these guys just don't get the SLS thing.

IMO - I think not going Metric is a big marketing mistake. It will limit Losi's ability to penetrate a market that is both worldwide and vastly saturated with many manufacturers. You guys need your ducks in a row on this one. It is not only the screws in the car the new user can no longer use but the headache of conversions with availablility and tools also need to be considered.
It is one thing if you are coming out with something new and novel. This demographic you are marketing to is asking, "Why is this car any bettor than what I already have?" You don't need to give them any reasons not to try the Eight. Good Luck!

PM me and I'll shoot a couple more ideas to you. I think they will be real novel to make the buggy stand out even more.

Nice looking peice of work.
Thanks for keeping it straight.
TEX
Old 04-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

If you're really uncomfortable with sharing those ideas to the public, let me know and I'll PM you with my e-mail. Personally...as long as you present them in a constructive and semi-professional manner, I have no problem with you letting them out in the open in this very thread.

I'm sure there's a method behind the madness of using the center driveshafts that they did. If the right materials are used, the angle of the center shafts really shouldn't cause a wear issue, and there's no other bad side effect that can come from the shafts being at an angle. There's really no need to made BK Bones (using bearings on the driveshaft pins) on the center driveshafts because there is no suspension to bind up when you're under power. I'm sure if something like that ends up being necessary, we will do it.

LCD's again..may not be necessary. They were used on the JRX-S to stop front end chatter, a problem that's not really apparent in off-road (and especially on the bigger cars). That's another one of those things that..if it's necessary, will happen sooner or later. Besides, with no view of the front driveshafts in those pictures, who is to say they're not already on the car? (Don't hold me to that, I really have no idea).

I think we're all hoping that the race results will speak for themselves with the 8ight. Losi's race cars up to this point have always used SAE hardware and are sold around the world..and in my opinion, I think it's kinda cool that the first U.S. made 1/8th scale will be the first to use SAE hardware as well. Time will tell if it was a marketing disaster or a good idea...it's unfair to assume either at this point.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

who cares about the ####### screws being metric or SAE. Think about this, and I'm sure Losi thought about this too, (I mean there is a reason that they are running a successful company and not you) most of the people who are going to buy this car probably race Losi or AE already.

DAMN - THEY HAVE SAE HARDWARE! People over in Europe who run Losi and AE are already dealing with, get this, SAE HARDWARE. I don't think they complain about it.

Pull your head out of your ass too, why would they use composite towers? They damn well know that they are going to have to put on aluminum towers.

What are you going to critisize next, the fact that you can only use Losi 1/8 tires on Losi 1/8 rims?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like it but dont know about owning one. I will wait for the guys at my track to get theres and see if it is good or not.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

o.s. power - No reason to be angry about it..

To the person who already has a Losi car, the standard hardware thing will be great. To someone switching from another 1/8th scale buggy, it will cause a bit of grief (at least for a little while). But it's a decision Losi made...I don't think that alone will make or break the whole car.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Smile Wow dude.

O.S. chill out. These are just suggestions. Not "you have to do this" kind of stuff.
I suggested it might be a bad idea on the metrics vs. SAE thing. In rebuttle to your comment. They are hopefully marketing this car to every RC enthusiest out there. The majority (by a long shot) uses and has access to metrics. It is a fact. It is not opinion. Time will tell the story if it is a good decision or not.
You assume I don't own a successful company. Nice.

OK Aaron, here are a couple of things I've been looking at.

Front one way??? Kind of like the Revo quick turn???? You could lighten the car by loosing the break linkage. Get rid of the toe out in the front. Even run toe in when configured in an overdrive setup. Where the front pulls harder than the rear until the gear ratio runs its course and the one way kicks in. Down side is front brakes and what they really mean to the buggy.

On the steering knuckles, if you run the pivot ball for the linkage at 45 degrees instead of perpendicular to the arm, you will acheive more throw without binding or stretching the rod end.

On the steering plate, mount the pivot ball horizontally. Use washers/shims to adjust ackerman and bumpsteer. Now you can acheive max throw.
BTW- You guys are the closest for geometry that is correct. Nice job!

Anyways, Good luck.
Have fun,
TEX
Old 04-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Looks like yet another "dialed right out of the box" car to me. I love the wing, I think that is the best part.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
o.s. power - No reason to be angry about it..

To the person who already has a Losi car, the standard hardware thing will be great. To someone switching from another 1/8th scale buggy, it will cause a bit of grief (at least for a little while). But it's a decision Losi made...I don't think that alone will make or break the whole car.
Plus come on....
One call to TOny's Screws or RC Screwz or other hardware outlets will come out with kits for the 8ight within a month so when you are getting frustrate with the SAE screws they will have choices in metric screw kits.
-Shookie <><
Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Gentlemen,
I think you all are not lookin at the big picture here this is a preproduction prototype the car you are lookin at is only for show it will never run when losi builds a car they have a machine that makes mock up parts out of plastic much like any company does when producing anything from scratch the shock towers and braces i will gaurantee will be in aluminum you all are a tuff crowd to please this car will not be out till the end of summer and you will see that it will be dominate stop the complaining about oh its got plastic towers and braces and that they will break cuz by production time you will see aluminum. To prove my point look at any of the pics and you can see that some of the parts are not molded they are prototype pieces. Perfect example look at the pic of the center diff cover.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Man, I've only recently jumped into the 1/8th scale arena and have always wondered why they don't make more parts outta composite instead of aluminum and carbon fiber. I'm all for it, it should keep the costs down and be lighter. When it does come out anybody that buys it and doesn't like it is more than welcome to swap me for my MBX5 prospec. I can't wait to run a Losi 8th scale with SAE screws and composite parts.

I for one hope they release a stripped down basic racer kit instead of only a high priced "pro" model, I miss the days of being able to buy a basic losi kit.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well it's official the pictures are on the losi web site.

Losi web site pictures
Old 04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Aaron, us on- road fags cant wait till the 8 comes out, so we can have an excuse to get a real AMERICAN made buggy. LOSI has done a great job so far, just like all ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.