R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track -- Is it worth it? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/108843-backyard-1-18th-scale-offroad-track-worth.html)

Hawk6 04-04-2006 08:35 PM

Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track

I'm thinking about building a backyard track for me and my kids and our Mini-T's. I'm looking for any advice from people with experience.

Some questions:
1) Is it worth the hassle to try to build a small dirt track in my backyard and try to maintain it?
2) If so, can I do it without spending a fortune?
3) Should I use "astroturf" type carpet to minimize maintenance, or dirt?
4) If "dirt", what's the magic formula: clay, top soil, sand,...?
5) Is 5 foot wide lanes about right?

Also, if you want to post some pictures of your backyard tracks, I'd love to see them.

Or, should I just build a few small ramps and pack up the Mini-Ts, kids, and ramps and take them to the nearest park and drive around a baseball diamond???

A while ago Losi had a Mini-T track design contest with some good track photos, but I can't find that web page anymore. If anyone has the link, please post.

Thanks.

Bigedmond 04-04-2006 09:05 PM

I would say if you have the room in your backyard, it is deffenetly worth it. You will have a place to hone your skills 24/7, and when the wife starts callin you in, you are right there.

For the track,

Size of lanes will be determined by size of space you have for it.
The dirt i would try to go with a mixture that has clay in it. Contact you local building supply to see what they have. The amount needed will also depend on size.
About the astroturf. If the local track you race at uses it, then it could be useful to help train yourself on how your truck reacts. If not, it will not help you train for your local track.

Drift_Buggy 04-05-2006 01:13 AM

Would it i could, but my MRS would kill me :cry:

Cheers

Hawk6 04-05-2006 06:26 AM

You gotta let the Mrs. know this is a family activity, the track will enable you to spend more quality time with your kids (kids make great track marshalls :) ).

Seriously, I'm not intending this track to take up the whole back yard, I'm thinking maybe 20 feet x 40 feet or so. I'm thinking that should be a decent size for 1/18th scale Mini-Ts. I live in a small town with a big yard, so we've got the room.

I'm not looking for this to be a "practice track" so I can beat the guys at the club (I don't race Mini-Ts anywhere, just bought a couple to bash around the house, take on trips, etc.). Around here summer means nitro cars or trucks, so an electric guy like me doesn't have much to do. This may give me and my son who already are into RC, and my youngest daughter who says she wants to drive RC, a lot of track time through the summer doldrums.

So, how 'bout some pictures of backyard tracks anyone. Thanks.

Manning 04-05-2006 09:11 AM

Go for it! I'm planning on doing the same thing....

Hawk6 04-05-2006 10:38 AM

I appreciate the encouragement, but what I really want is some answers and ideas. Anyone out there want to suggest lane widths? I'm guessing 5 feet should be fine.

How 'bout some pictures of tracks people have built. Give me something to shoot for. I know I want something more than a 20'x40' rectangle of landscaping timbers plopped down in the middle of my backyard with a pile of dirt inside. I'm hoping to make it somewhat aestetically pleasing to the eye.

I know this isn't rocket science, and I've got some ideas already, just hoping to see some pictures of other peoples' backyard tracks. For as many Mini-Ts and Mini-LSTs, and RC18Ts, etc. that have been sold, there's got to be some cool tracks out there.

Show me the dirt! :)

Artificial-I 04-05-2006 10:48 AM

Clay , pack it down. Water before run, so its not dusty. This provides good traction , low dirt and cleaner cars. Not sure the exact process though maybe someone can help you.

You can do it all by shovel since its small. Shouldnt take long. Youll need a good bit of dirt though.

You also say youll use about 20X40. With 5 foot wide lanes you can hope for about 160ft of track at max. Also if its not good enough you can always expand.

Sounds like fun , post some pictures.

Drift_Buggy 04-05-2006 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hawk6
You gotta let the Mrs. know this is a family activity, the track will enable you to spend more quality time with your kids (kids make great track marshalls :) ).

lol, than she will say something like shoe shopping can also be a family activity :cry:

Cheers

axeman_pg1 04-05-2006 04:38 PM

http://www.canadianrc.com/crc/uploads/photos/363.JPG
check out this track. this track was built by a buddy of mine in edmonton,alberta.they can help answer all your track building questions i am sure.they have a small race league thre and they have several different tracks they race on. ......axe

IMPACTPLAYR 04-05-2006 06:18 PM

Ok, sorry I don't have any pics.....

But I do have some advice..... as for dirt.... what's wrong with the stuff already there???? Why spend money on extra dirt/clay when the only ones you have to make happy are you and the kids?? I'm sure the kids would rather have extra batteries and maybe an extra charger than top grade racing clay..... and the MRS. would rather you spend a little extra to landscape around it so it isn't an eyesore to her...... maybe even get a few tarps to cover the track when not in use so that after the rain quits you can immediately go out and play instead of waiting for the mud to dry up????

BTW: just a heads up if you do decide to get clay...... to do a 20'x40' it will take around 20-60 tons of the stuff....NO B/S I have a freind that just built a track for his shop...... 90x180 I believe and he has over 300 tons of clay that where brought in......

Rent yourself one of those SOD cutters, it has a blade that cuts down just below the grass roots, these sheets can be transplanted elsewhere in you yard where grass may not be growing right now.... or sold to offset the costs of the track or maybe traded for a new rose bush (hint-hint)..... This will also leave you with a much flatter peice of realestate to base you track off of, and with enough planning you can just cut out the layout leaving the lanes with grass borders instead of spending cash on lane seperators....

Don't go crazy at first start off with a dirt road coarse and a few small jumps, cause let's face it if you don't use the track like you thought you would do you really wanna have 20 tons of dirt to smooth out???? Maybe even still just go with plywood ramps and leave the dirt flat, that way you can change the coarse at will without too much work..... also then you can just get a water filled roller to drag behing you lawn tractor to keep the surface smooth..... (hint 3-6" PVC piping cut in half would make nice little whoopty-doo's for 1/18th trucks)

Above all else. no mattewr what you decide have fun!!!

IMPACTPLAYR 04-05-2006 06:21 PM

Oh yeah 4' - 5' lanes should be plenty..... maybe even 6' just incase daddy decides to get a bigger toy....

wyd 04-05-2006 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Clay , pack it down. Water before run, so its not dusty. This provides good traction , low dirt and cleaner cars. Not sure the exact process though maybe someone can help you.

You can do it all by shovel since its small. Shouldnt take long. Youll need a good bit of dirt though.

You also say youll use about 20X40. With 5 foot wide lanes you can hope for about 160ft of track at max. Also if its not good enough you can always expand.

Sounds like fun , post some pictures.

I think Losi had some killer setups for 1/18th scales. They had a contest awhle back for the best tracks and use to have some great pics.

killer89 04-05-2006 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by wyd
I think Losi had some killer setups for 1/18th scales. They had a contest awhle back for the best tracks and use to have some great pics.

found it...

http://www.teamlosi.com/Mini-T/contest.htm

Hawk6 04-06-2006 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to get a few chores done around the house and yard, finalize a plan, and do it.

I think I will start simple (versus buying truckloads of clay). Then, if the kids and/or I are using it, we can improve and expand later.

Thanks again for the ideas and web links.

straydog 04-06-2006 04:38 PM

Edmontons 1/18 off road Backyard BBQ Leauge Get's another track in the series! {4 Now}
http://www.canadianrc.com/crc/module...d=381&forum=20
Lot's of Pic's and some Video, shows tracks