Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track -- Is it worth it? >

Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track -- Is it worth it?

Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track -- Is it worth it?

Old 04-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Well, my son and I worked on it this weekend, and we now have a simple, working track for our Mini-Ts.

I didn't take any wide shots of the track, but it's about 25' x 35'. Tucked in the back corner of our yard. Just the dirt that was there. Like I said, I'm not ready to truck in clay.

The layout is simple, with wide lanes, but it's a good starter track. I'll keep you posted on any progress.
Attached Thumbnails Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track -- Is it worth it?-track.jpg   Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track -- Is it worth it?-minit-3-reduced.jpg  

Last edited by Hawk6; 04-24-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gotta love having your own track in the backyard....Great action shot!

I got started on mine over the last couple of days. Someday it will be driveable.....
Old 04-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i love that loose soil you have there, looking great.

I was going to say with clay you dont want to mix it with other soil when building a track. as when it gets wet you end up with a 'silt' topping. it's nasty, and as already mentiond, you'll need sooo many tonnes of clay. people dont realise how much goes into a track! hehe..

looking great so far! all you need is a mini-drivers-rostrum to stand on! hehe
Old 04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

After looking up in a dictionary what a "rostrum" is, I can now reply intelligently (I hope) .

Yea, maybe after we get other things finalized, we'll worry about a driver's stand, but maybe not. The track's not that big.

We need to fasten the tubes in place, right now they are loose.

The loose dirt looks great, but it's almost like driving on ice with the Mini-Ts, very little front grip. I'm relatively new to this offroad stuff, what can I do for more front end bite? Tires, more weight in front, something else, or just pack down and wet the loose dirt?

The loose dirt is there because the photo was taken a day after we did all the hard work of getting the weeds and grass out of the way and loosening the dirt. After one rain shower, we'll see what the track looks like.

Anyway, the track turned out great. It's something my son and I (and the neighbor kid) can work on and enjoy together, which was exactly the plan.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

Oh dear, oh dear sooo much information soo little time.

Just to start off I have been racing for about 5 years and manage an outdoor 1/8th scale track in woodland, WA. Myself and a buddy (and a tractor) built the entire track which measures 140x130 feet. I have also built two 1/18th scale tracks. A few thoughts:

* Sod cutters are very helpfull to get you started but it seems your halfway there.
* You could topdress a 1/18th scale track with clay. You will need about a dumptruck load or so (about 7 cubic yards). Call excavation contractors in your area. Clean fill dirt (from a job site that needs to get rid of it is about $4-5 yard delivered).
* the clay needn't be deep maybe an inch or so..the reason is that 1/18th don't have the weight and power to tear up the track. I should note, the above post about not mixing the clay in is TOTALLY wrong for 1/10th and larger. A layer of clay ontop of silt or sand will break apart in dinnerplates in the summer unless it is at least 5" deep. Not cool

* I see you have drainage pipe which works fine. For 1/18th I use 3/4" pvc or abs. Effective, cheap and easy to use.

* If you get new dirt or wan tto build a new track, scrape the ENTIRE area..not just lanes. Add dirt and rake smooth, and rake, and then rake some more.

* use some paint to mark where the lanes will be. Plan to use the pipe to make chicanes and such. Avoid 180' turns, especially at the end of straight aways.

* Then take a yard roller and roll everything flat. Fill i the depression or they will fill with water. When your done rolling. Soak the entire track. Soak it very well in the early morning.

* Now here is the pimp tip, don't!!! roll the wet ground until the very top 1/4-1/2" is dry. The top will dry out a little and the bottom will still be damp so it will compact well. If you get ansy and roll the track when it is wet, the dirt will stick to the roller and you'll be back to cussing and raking.

* Let it dry out for a day before walking all over it, lay out your pipe and your good to go

Other random track tips:

* Sugar added to the soil will make it hold moisture a little longer and also serve to make the dirt a little more cohesive.

* If dirt is hard to find the bigger tracks can use haybales covered in dirt for topo. Try to find "damaged" or rotting hay they go for about $2 a bale. If you cover them well they will last for 2-3 years.

* For big tracks 1/8th scale, etc. plan on renting a bobcat and a walk behind vibrating roller (unless your 18 and have ALLOT of friends). Tracks take a tremendous amount of work. We moved over 120 cubic yards of dirt.. that's 13 completely full dump trucks worth of dirt!!

* carefull when digging down to deep in wet climates..you will build rc boat tracks.

* try to slope the track in wet climates..have a plan on how to sweep the water off.

* have fun and buy lots of advil before you start anything. My back still hurts!! LOL
Old 05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Another nice weekend, so we cleaned up the track and secured the pipes to make it a little more permanent. Attached is a photo.

I know the lanes are plenty wide, but for kids, it works out well.
Attached Thumbnails Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track -- Is it worth it?-backyard-track.jpg  

Last edited by Hawk6; 05-07-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Sah-wheet!

Ain't it fun having your own track? I'm having a blast with mine and it's not nearly as nicely laid out as yours.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

It's a blast Playin' in the backyard with the kids. My oldest daughter isn't interested in driving, but doesn't mind marshalling. My 10 year old son loves it, and my 7 year old daughter is now hooked. So ya, it's all good -- except when it rains. I need to figure out how to cover the track during rains.

I'm attaching another photo.

We seem to keep breaking little parts though - plastic servo gears, shock ends, etc. Small price to pay though.

Having a ball.
Attached Thumbnails Backyard 1/18th Scale Offroad Track -- Is it worth it?-red-minit-jump-.jpg  
Old 05-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Just curious, what did you pay for the black plastic pipe? I haven't been able to get to Home Depot or Lowes to check it out. The stuff is so common at the race tracks around here that I use it for reference while driving. Need to get the stuff on my track.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Home Depot and Lowes have it.. Its just flexible drainage pipe for outdoor drains...
Old 05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

I think maybe about $25 for 100 feet. Not too bad.

I actually bought the pipes a couple years ago for 1/10th scale attempt at a track that didn't materialize.

These pipes are actually a bit too big for Mini-Ts. The tires can get stuck under the pipe when you run into it. The pipes look good, but smaller pipes - if you can get them - may actually be better for Mini-Ts.

Enjoy.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Finally made it to the local HD to check on the pipe. $38 for 100 feet.....and right nearby was a 75 foot roll of soaker hose for $12.......Mini's shouldn't get stuck under a soaker hose....and it's easy to move and store out of the way... Seems like the ticket for a backyard track....
Old 05-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

And for added excitement, you can turn the hose on and do some powersliding through the mud.

Like I said, smaller should work great. Enjoy.