Community
Wiki Posts
Search

small boost..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default small boost..

Ive been using model rocket engines with a copper and aluminum seat that mounts almost perfectly atop the transmission and is fastened down. As far as heat affecting the components its fine. Were using the larger ones that give a very large amount of thrust, with one longer stage. Speed-wise im not too good at estimatimating but it was hitting 2-3x the pede's usual max speed on an 8.4v, had to chop the body a bit too because the back was being lifted off by the airflow. As far as igniting it goes we have one of those radioshack micro-rc car's components fastened just behind the back windows and have the engine cables linked to your usual electric rocket igniter in the engine. after a few drags with it there seems to be no sign of external wear and it runs on electric fine still.. might all of this extra speed be bad on the gears? or the motor for that fact?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Tech Initiate

I would think that at a certain point the car is actually being powered by the rocket, including turning the engine. My question is how fast is this car getting up to? I would think that the gears are under the same if not more stress during regular driving, electric motors are torque-y , I think that's sounds right. I say it's ok.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Rookie

about 1/2 way through the rocket burn it was clocked at 71 before the front end lifted up and tossed the car about.. id run it w/o the body but im afraid something like that would catastrophically happen and destroy it :/
Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Initiate

I say it's ok, but to be sure I would gear it up a bit, just to be sure, and remember, if the car is going faster than the motor than you are going to have rear wheel drag and it could lose control and really mess it up. Make sure to weigh the car down up front, and set your suspesion real low that way less air gets under the car. Or if you wanted to get even more creative you could make an air-damn, like on real cars, all it is is a piece of plastic running from side to side to force aire above the car, with your application I would suggest having it go in front of the wheels, that way no air will left the tires up.