Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slipper Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Slipper Setup

I've just got a new B4 FT, how do you setup the slipper perfectly compared to the diff, can it be done on the bench?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

I would just tighten it down until it does not slip anymore.
a slipping diff. will be a slow buggy.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The slipper should always slip before the diff. Assuming that your diff is tight enough. You can have somebody hold your rear tires stationary on the bench and jab the throttle a few times. The slipper should slip while lifting the front wheels off of the bench. This guarantees that the slipper will slip if you land a jump on the throttle and not overly stress the diff.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Here is what I do after a fresh rebuild of the diff. I tighten the slipper down tight so their is no way for it to slip. Then I set the diff by placing it on the ground and holding it down and tighten it up until it stops barking. Then run it a round for a bit and re adjust and taking it right to where it stops barking and then give it an extra 1/8 to 1/4 turn more. Then I will lossen the slipper to where it slips and adjust to where it just stops. This way you know the slipper will slip before the diff.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

if it's barking, you're just digging grooves into the diff rings. Tighten it outside of the car to factory specs, once it's back in the car and ready to run...then start by holding one wheel and easily rolling on the gas until you hit full throttle, then back off to 0....repeat for the other tire. This will seat the balls into the rings safely without risking burning up the whole diff. Once you've done the tire thing, re-tighten the diff by hand according to the feel (hold one wheel and spur and hand turn the other wheel) Adjust accordingly. Once your diff is set, set the slipper for feel and track conditions. Generally you should have a 2 foot "whirring" sound then it will take off.

I personally like a 1 foot slip and just let my throttle finger take care of the rest of the throttle control....I don't like my slipper to feel like a current limiter...Keep the car snappy but managable.