Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC racing on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up RC racing on TV

I think the one thing that this hobby/sport needs here in the U.S. is exposure on a national scale on something like Speed TV or ESPN.

Think about it... What's the main reason the full scale race drivers can potentially make so much money? Outside sponsorship due to national exposure. In other countries, aren't the top RC racers like super stars? That's because they have national exposure on television. There are thousands of people out there watching NASCAR, SCCA, Le Mans and other forms of auto racing saying, "I wish I could drive a race car..." Hardly any of them know about RC racing. There is just no exposure at all outside of a few publications and the internet here in the states. The only thing you ever see at all is advertisements for the "toy" cars made by tyco, Nikko and Radio Shack. There are many ways the sport could benefit from television coverage. Increased revenue for the manufacturers, larger paychecks for the top drivers and most importantly, growth of the sport. The LHS won't have so much of a struggle to stay in business, tracks will last more than a couple years... When people find out that their dreams of driving a race car can actually happen, if only on a smaller scale and for tens of thousands of dollars less than a real car without the risk of injury or death... This sport would explode.

I say we make an effort as a community to get the ball rolling by posting on the Speed TV forums, http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=116485 and submitting some feedback about the sport to the producers http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/ Add links to some of the large events and about the products that we use. It'll only take about a minute to send an email and we all post on multiple forums on a daily basis anyway. This could be a very good thing if we all get involved.

Tony
Old 03-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

INTERSTING READING, SOME PEOPLE JUST DONT UNDERSTAND. RACING IS RACING WHETHER ON LAWN MOWER, BAR STOOLS OR RC CARS.

IT WONT BE LONG BEFORE IT GETS MORE MAINSTREAM. WHEN EVER I GO TO A BIG RACE WHERE IT IS ACCESSIBLE TO OTHER PEOPLE TO SEE THE RACES I SEE PEOPLE JUST CHECKING IT OUT. BUT ALOT OF TRACKS ARE NO WHERE CLOSE BY. THEY ARE IN THE COUNTRY OR IN INDUSTRIAL PARKS DUE TO SIZE, RENT AND NOISE.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The Speed Channel did a special on the Summer Nitro Fest race at Lance Norricks track last year. Hopefully they will do the same at the ROAR fuel offroad nationals at that track this year.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default Inside r/c on OLN

I have been catching some of these shows on teusday nights I believe.Seen the coverage on the r/c pro series finals.Hopefully there will be actual races shown sometime but this show is a start.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

rc has been on TV before. the nitro fest, jason sams on tv, and on DIY they have a regular show about RC
Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have also seen Adam Drake's 1/8 scale in one of the showcases on Wind Tunnel a while back.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Be so good if there was RC races on T.V down here in Australia

Cheers
Old 03-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

You can watch some RC racing sometimes on the outdoor ch.. Inside RC comes on around 11:00 am on Thursdays. I was at one of the races they filmed. The dirt country RC Pro Series race. I saw a friend on TV where he had to turn marshel A. Drake.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

I dont think the racing is exciting enough, especially when on film, to attract a large number of viewers. If you don't race you really can't appreciate the amount of skill that it takes to drive like the pros do. If they were to give alot of coverage before and during the race by doing things like interviewing drivers in the pits and checking out new equipment and stuff then that would be pretty cool.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Tech Initiate

And, I rekon you would need people to show how to build ramps, and other DIY segments.
Basically turn magazines that you have read into a show. Get mags to sponsor along with top brands, and then put it onto sports channels. mainly because i thing rc racing is really boring if thats all it is.

And down here in oz we have a channel called 31. well in melbourne atleast. It just shows local shows about anything. filmed with a normal camera, and given some funky music.

just my AUS $0.02
Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

They had RC racing on an episode of Punky Brewster once. Does that count?